DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LAANC and Airmap

pcalvin

Reactions
I tried using the iOS Airmap app for authorization in the class B airspace around DFW airport and Love Field. Addision airport’s class D overlaps it to the north. I am looking at areas well away from the actual airports, but within the class B surface space. The app says that automatic authorization is available at or below 100 or 200 feet, depending on where I look. However, when I go though the flight plan process, I get an rejection, saying “Flight rejected upon submission, flight cannot overlap multiple USAFM airports”. How do I get authorization to fly in this airspace? I am an architectural photographer, and many of my clients, all architects, want drone shots of their projects. Many of the upcoming projects may fall in these urban areas. I have emailed Airmap and the FAA, but not yet received an answer. Thanks for any help and advice.

You may have to call, each time, for every circle in the overlying area i.e.: possibly calling three or 4 places. I have not tried to use automated approval in an overlapping area myself. Consequently, if you are a part 107 pilot you should be able to get a waiver so that you don't have to call these areas in the future.

It sounds like your flight plan covers the areas of two airports. Have you tried narrowing the area down to just one airport, and then submitting a second flight plan for the other area?

It depends a lot on the specific grids. In the new Kittyhawk app with LAANC, we added an "X" to any UASFM grids that do not accept LAANC. These grids and Xs can change daily. Hope that helps.

I have a pending authorization request submitted via the FAA Drone Zone. LAANC is not yet active in the Mountain View CA area. Submitting through the FAA website could take up to 90 days, and my timeline for the job request tight.

I also emailed the FAA (via the Contact link), but have not received a response as of this writing. My Plan B is to call the ATC manager's of the two airfields near the location tomorrow to notify them of my scheduled Friday project.

Hope you get your approvals soon!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851