DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LAANC and Mapquest

Reactions
Should I receive a text message/token from Mapquest confirming authorization to fly in location where a LAANC exception is available? I’m registered with AirMap and I’m flying under Part 107 rules. The location in question is in class B airspace, but when I click on the initial red restriction, it showed automatic authorization was available at or below 400 feet. As I proceed through the flight plan, the red circle turned green. I finished the flight plan but did not receive a text notification. Is this normal? Is it legal for me to fly at this location? When would I expect to receive a token that would be necessary to fly in an area? Thanks.

I’d use AirMap to get LAANC approval. Quicker and approved. We’ll see what happens in the reworked B4UFly in the next version.

Thanks. I am using airmap to seek LAANC approval, but when I tried it, I did not receive any text/token or anything. Just wondering if the authorization just sort of happens in some cases - without needing a token to confirm?

There is no token, but as you likely noticed you set takeoff time and length of flight. I always enter time allowing for all batteries with me. The approval starts a timer in the app showing “0” time when your request expires. I keep it open on my phone when I’m in the air.

Thanks. I had seen a couple of videos on YouTube where the pilots requested authorization and were then contacted via text message with a message/token that they then needed to re-enter into the app. When I requested authorization, I did not receive any message from airmap - the flight area simply turned from red to green. Without the notification I was hesitant to fly. Perhaps some requests will generate tokens and some may not...

Thanks. I had seen a couple of videos on YouTube where the pilots requested authorization and were then contacted via text message with a message/token that they then needed to re-enter into the app. When I requested authorization, I did not receive any message from airmap - the flight area simply turned from red to green. Without the notification I was hesitant to fly. Perhaps some requests will generate tokens and some may not...
May be... I never got one in 30-35 flights but I am only in the last couple of hundred yards of a NFZ and always put 350 as altitude.

Thanks Thom, so does your flight planner in airmap initially indicate restrictions and then upon request, the area becomes green?

Yes. Other things show up as LAANC implementation continues.

It will be interesting to see what happens with th integration of B4YouFly and Kittyhawk.

Another thing I like is the temporary restrictions showing... like a LifeFlight helicopter or a police action.

Last edited:
I've always gotten a text message with a confirmation number after submitting my plan in AirMap. I would be reluctant to take off in controlled airspace otherwise. (just to make it clear, LAANC only works for Part 107 flights and you need to select that tab in AirMap to get the electronic authorization)

Thanks dawgpilot. I am 107 certified and had selected the Part 107 tab. I’m registered with Airmap so they have my contact info. As described, the initial red triangle - when clicked - listed LAANC authorization availability; as I continued through the flight plan, the red area turned green and the red triangle went away. But I did not receive any message from Airmap. I’ll try to reach out directly to airmap for clarification and report back on this. Thanks again for sharing your exoerience.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98