DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LAANC approval above the permissible altitude

dljordaneku

Reactions
I had someone reach out to me about shooting some video above a 35-acre piece of property. I checked B4UFLY and it shows it is in controlled airspace near the airport. The app shows I can get approved for up to 50ft. What is it like to try and get approval for higher than that?

Darrell Jordan

Reactions: SkyPath Studios
Need more information. But you can get approval above minimums. It just depends on where you are in conjuction with the airport and flight path.

It's also depends on if you're a known pilot to ATC. They'll give permission more freely to those they know and trust.

Here is another photo showing the location I would be flying in relation to the airport. I have only requested authorization once in another area but it was auto approval up to 200 feet. drone.PNG

Here is another photo showing the location I would be flying in relation to the airport. I have only requested authorization once in another area but it was auto approval up to 200 feet. View attachment 152685
That's pretty far outside most slight paths. Best bet it to reach out to ATC manager, tell them what you need to do, and ask what safety mitigations they'd like to see on a LAANC request or Drone Zone application.

Check AirNav.com

They don’t like it when you call the TOWER, unless you have been instructed to do so. That will earn you negative brownie points. First you will need a 107.

Do it properly. Go to DroneZone and apply for an authorization. Explain what you need, why and when you need it and fill in all the blanks. In the free form column give as much info as possible. Who is your VO, do they have a 107 and their pilot number. They want to know what mitigation you are doing for safety. RTH settings, etc. if something goes sideways.
I have had a great experience while doing this, sometimes getting approvals in a couple of days. But I have done this many times and they may know who I am. ?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman