DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LAANC Approval

SAC89

Reactions
I live close to an Air Force Base, I take real estate photos for local agents. Previously, all I had to do was call the tower, advised them I was in the area, and they would give me their blessing as long as they didn't have any local traffic. Now, they said I need approval. LAANC does not cover my region, and it would take weeks to request an airspace waiver from the FAA. Do I have other options?

I live close to an Air Force Base, I take real estate photos for local agents. Previously, all I had to do was call the tower, advised them I was in the area, and they would give me their blessing as long as they didn't have any local traffic. Now, they said I need approval. LAANC does not cover my region, and it would take weeks to request an airspace waiver from the FAA. Do I have other options?
I would just call them back and have the expand on the subject,
Let them know each time you fly despite what ever options you find.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Land on Water.

I would just call them back and have the expand on the subject,
Let them know each time you fly despite what ever options you find.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Land on Water.

That's not permitted under current FAA guidance. Airspace permission can only come from either LAANC or the FAA DroneZone Airspace Authorization process.

Airspace waivers don't always take weeks. Perhaps a military field adds more time than usual, but I've had DroneZone airspace authorizations issued in 24 hours. You can also get a long term authorization for the area that lasts up to 2 years at a time. They might add a condition that also requires you to notify the tower each time before you use it, but not always.

Authorization or waiver? I think what you need is an authorization, not a waiver. My authorizations usually come in within 24 hours and I can extend them out to nine months. I live about 2 miles from an airport that’s non-LAANC.

Authorization or waiver? I think what you need is an authorization, not a waiver. My authorizations usually come in within 24 hours and I can extend them out to nine months. I live about 2 miles from an airport that’s non-LAANC.

Good point, specifically it should be an authorization, not a waiver here.

Reactions: JAW
I applied for an airspace waiver back in February. It took less than 24 hours. I have this long document approving the waiver. You can apply for a waiver within the Drone Zone (FAA) website. It's fairly lengthy and will require the Long/Lat in fractions of seconds which was the hardest thing to establish as well as the stated operations. Frankly I was more worried about DJI and getting the geofence unlocked from the area as opposed to a waiver or ATC authorization. ATC authorization should be pretty easy within Kittyhawk or Airmap apps.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Im running into the same problem for a location Im looking to fly next week. I contacted the airport controlling the class D airspace. They shared the same thing, they have to get the request from LAANC but the LAANC isnt available for that location. I've requested the LAANC but its denied no matter what I input, even well under the listed ceiling.
So, I go to the FAA dronezone website where the only option Im given is to register my drone and pay the fee, which Ive already done back when I first purchased it and got my tail number. Feel like I'm going in circles.
Not to hijack the thread but does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000