DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LAANC authorization went through but Mavic Air still says, "Can't fly?"

Sputnik756

Reactions
I am in South Florida and there is almost no area down here that is totally clear to fly (which is really annoying). I have flown a few times in parks and near the beach, literally I could count it on one hand because it's such hassle, but mostly I fly only on vacation in other areas. I am really fed up with not being able to fly and get more adept at using my drone.

What really threw me over the edge is after the last geofencing update, I cannot even start up the drone in my own house!!

So I decided recently to start using the LAANC and try at least near my house. Or so I thought.

So, I have a Mavic Air, running latest version of software, have my drone registered properly, everything has worked properly on the Mavic Air, with the exception of always have to recalibrate, which is a known issue, but hasn't been too bad.

Two days ago, I received a LAANC for the area I am in so I could fly a little here. Received it with no problem. However, when I go to fly the drone, it still says, "Can't fly.. can't take off, you're in a no fly zone". Sometimes the message appears about Would you like to unlock from here... but most of the time it doesn't. So not sure if it is a connection problem or what, but I have tried both inside the house and outside.

Just keeps saying ERROR CODE 200, sometimes it says gps signal weak, but not much, and location doesn't change that. Can't FLY in a no fly zone is always there, I use B4 u fly, go through the prompts, still doesn't help.

Once, it worked (before LAANC) when I went with B4 U Fly, but flew once, and then returned to CAN'T FLY.

Again, if the message appears something to the gist of "Would you like to unlock..." Under yes, it says ERROR.

What is going on??? Please help!

Could you give us the GPS coordinates of where you’re trying to do this?
It might help us figure it out
The problem is the DJI app needs to know about it.
Basically you will need to go to their web site.
I use dronezone because you can get much longer periods of time.
read this:

Last edited by a moderator:
LAANC and DJI geofencing are totally separate systems. The former is so you're legal with FAA in controlled airspace, the latter is to avoid you from flying in risky areas and not just controlled airspace but TFR areas and potentially high traffic areas in small airports.

You can try applying for an unlock code offline from flysafe.dji.com. You have to use a desktop browser.

If trying to unlock from the app when in a NFZ, the app must have access to the internet.

Could you give us the GPS coordinates of where you’re trying to do this?
It might help us figure it out
The problem is the DJI app needs to know about it.
Basically you will need to go to their web site.
I use dronezone because you can get much longer periods of time.
read this:
LAANC approval, which he already obtained will not directly do anything for unlocking the DJI geofencing.

GPS Signal weak: you wouldn't happen to be using a WiFi only iPAD? Those don't have GPS in them. I didn't think the DJI app needed mobile GPS to complete the unlock process but perhaps it does.

LAANC and DJI geofencing are totally separate systems. The former is so you're legal with FAA in controlled airspace, the latter is to avoid you from flying in risky areas and not just controlled airspace but TFR areas and potentially high traffic areas in small airports.

You can try applying for an unlock code offline from flysafe.dji.com. You have to use a desktop browser.

If trying to unlock from the app when in a NFZ, the app must have access to the internet.
I used my desktop at DroneZone to get an Authorization, then did a custom unlock at flysafe (you need to upload the PDF that the FAA provides you with) on the DJI website, then downloading to my controller. When I actually used it, I had no internet. Also note you have to import to the AC for each flight because it forgets it on power down.
The good news it for 4 months.

Reactions: Gindra
GPS Signal weak: you wouldn't happen to be using a WiFi only iPAD? Those don't have GPS in them. I didn't think the DJI app needed mobile GPS to complete the unlock process but perhaps it does.
I am thinking no because it's the AC that enforces Geofencing. As I mention you need to import it to AC for each flight.

Short answer...get an Autel Evo or Parrot Anafi...you knew that was coming.

As others have said, the FAA authorization and DJI unlocking are separate issues. You have to have both to fly.

Short answer...get an Autel Evo or Parrot Anafi...you knew that was coming.

As others have said, the FAA authorization and DJI unlocking are separate issues. You have to have both to fly.
That would be great except for better or for worse none of my employers will accept photos from any thing but DJI.
And if you are flying in controlled airspace you should get the Authorization because that is one thing you could actually get busted for.

That would be great except for better or for worse none of my employers will accept photos from any thing but DJI.
And if you are flying in controlled airspace you should get the Authorization because that is one thing you could actually get busted for.

Of course that's the decision of your employer. That said a photo, a high quality photo, from one of the others would seem to be a better option than no photo at all. And I wasn't promoting flying without authorization. The thing that is bothersome to me is the whole idea that you need anything more than the blessing of the FAA to fly in U.S. airspace.

Of course that's the decision of your employer. That said a photo, a high quality photo, from one of the others would seem to be a better option than no photo at all. And I wasn't promoting flying without authorization. The thing that is bothersome to me is the whole idea that you need anything more than the blessing of the FAA to fly in U.S. airspace.
Well by you I didn’t necessarily mean you. When there was no Geo fencing that was done quite frequently or should I say is done quite frequently since not all are subjected to Geo fencing.

I’m not even gonna go on rants about how horrible it is because mostly if you’re halfway careful it’ll be fine.

After all if you can easily get an authorization to do it it’s not that risky.

But it is the law and it does need to be controlled and monitored. Especially as a number of drones grows exponentially.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian