DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"LAANC is not available for operations outside of controlled airspace"

Kyle76

Reactions
I went to fly in an area pretty near a US Army airfield. The sectional map and Aloft app indicate it's in the 42/14 area of Class D controlled airspace. It required a DJI unlock, which I got, but Aloft gave me the message above when I tried to obtain LAANC authorization. I assume I'm OK to fly, then?

No!

DOD airspace does NOT allow LAANC.

Seems like the reply is a bit misleading then. It implies the area is “outside of controlled airspace” when, in fact, it is in airspace controlled by the DOD. Does not the 42/14 come into play?

Seems like the reply is a bit misleading then. It implies the area is “outside of controlled airspace” when, in fact, it is in airspace controlled by the DOD. Does not the 42/14 come into play?
If it’s controlled DOD airspace, you need to use Drone Zone and apply for an airspace authorization.

DOD airspace is not hooked up to the LAANC system. But it’s still controlled airspace.

You can’t fly without permission. What does the FAA’s ArcGIS site say about the address?

ArcGIS says:

Class D Airspace

GLOBAL_ID19F9380C-3EB8-4A71-ABE5-48BF69B16148
ADHP_IDA8A9F8BE-A8E9-4B9E-9D1D-F0AA80488916
IdentifierFBG
NameSIMMONS AAF CLASS D
Description of the Upper Limit ValueTI
Upper Limit Value1400
Upper Limit Unit of MeasureFT
Code for the Upper LimitMSL
Description of the Lower Limit Value
Lower Limit Value0
Lower Limit Unit of MeasureFT
Code for the Lower LimitSFC
Type CodeCLASS
Local TypeCLASS_D
ClassD
Military CodeCIV
Name of the Communication Outlet
Level of the AirspaceL
Sector
Onshore1
Exclusion Area0
Work Hour CodeNOTAM
Work Hour RemarksLegal description references NOTAM
Daylight Saving Time Code
GMT Offset
Controlling Agent
CityFAYETTEVILLE
StateNC
Country
ICAO_IDKFBG

I would pull a NOTAM also for additional info.

Cheers!

Sorry, I was shooting all day.

You can go to the Drone Zone, and apply for a Wide Area Authorization for all of non-DOD airspace for Simmons AAF, Class D. Fill out of the application and once you have it, you can fly.

Depending on where you're flying in that area, you may also need to get a custom unlock from DJI.

I had a similar challenge in the Ft. Hood / Killeen area here in Texas. No LAANC. Applied through DZ and not only got an authorization, but it's good for 2 years! It may take a week or so to get it, but if you plan to fly in the area often, apply for a "wide area authorization." In my case, there are grids with maximum altitudes (not the case at Fort Bragg), so ask for a maximum altitude that seems reasonable...200' for example?
Another thing to try is to call the controlling entity of the AAF, assuming you can somehow find a number. I did this in MD once, where there was no LAANC, and I...well...didn't feel like waiting :) I called the tower at the airfield that was literally 2 miles from where I wanted to fly. They gave me a 1 hour window up to 200'. It's amazing what you can do when you just ask. Good luck!

Reactions: Kyle76 and MS Coast
When you apply for these you should ask for the maximum time, which is 24 months. You should also include all of the stuff all good pilots know, such as "Will have spotter...will have 3km lights, will maintain less than 400', etc..." They like to know that YOU know your requirements and limitations.

Reactions: pchaps
When you apply for these you should ask for the maximum time, which is 24 months. You should also include all of the stuff all good pilots know, such as "Will have spotter...will have 3km lights, will maintain less than 400', etc..." They like to know that YOU know your requirements and limitations.

I whole heartedly do not agree with your suggestion on asking for MAX time.

If you only need a month then why "clutter" the system by asking for 24 months? That's a bit of an abuse of the system and exactly why our Drone NOTAM system is locked down as tight as it is now. Operators were putting NOTAMS up for months on end when they literally only needed a day or so but they wanted to be able to fly "just in case something comes up".

Aviation is about detail accuracy and you should request what you need.

Reactions: karlblessing
If I am interpreting the drone zone request correctly, I believe it is the same thing one of our drone club members talked about the other day when he applied for permission to fly within a controlled airspace of a military installation. If not then I don’t recall what that process was, but he said they had no problem with the 24 month period for that request for operations.
He can operate anywhere in that zone now or just a simple phone call to the Air Force Base control tower.

I whole heartedly do not agree with your suggestion on asking for MAX time.

If you only need a month then why "clutter" the system by asking for 24 months? That's a bit of an abuse of the system and exactly why our Drone NOTAM system is locked down as tight as it is now. Operators were putting NOTAMS up for months on end when they literally only needed a day or so but they wanted to be able to fly "just in case something comes up".

Aviation is about detail accuracy and you should request what you need.
Can people have their NOTAM's removed to unclutter the system?

Can people have their NOTAM's removed to unclutter the system?

When we were allowed to get a Drone NOTAM of course you "could" but people absolutely did not do that at all. So it is very difficult to get a Drone NOTAM issues unless your operation could indeed create a Safety Hazard for Aviation.

Reactions: pchaps
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom