DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LAANC Question

Reactions
Sorry if this has been asked before or if in the wrong section. I am applying for my first LAANC permission to fly in a controlled airspace at a specific date and time. My drone is an AIR 2 I bought secondhand. The controller is bound to the old owner's account. Will that stop me from being able to get LAANC approval and being able to take off in what would otherwise be restricted air space?

If you applied for LAANC approval using your own email address, that is where the response will be sent.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
No it won't. LAANC apps are tied to your email, not your drone.

... caveat. If you need to unlock your DJI drone after the approval, you will need it tied to your account.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
... caveat. If you need to unlock your DJI drone after the approval, you will need it tied to your account.
^^ This is what I am uncertain/confused about. After I get the approval at my email will my drone be bricked in the zone since the controller is bound under the prior user?

^^ This is what I am uncertain/confused about. After I get the approval at my email will my drone be bricked in the zone since the controller is bound under the prior user?
Getting LAANC approval is the first step. However, to obtain a GEO Unlock Code from DJI you will need to have the drone assigned to your email address to receive the code. You should contact (if possible) the previous owner and have them remove the drone from their account. You should do this regardless of the restricted air space. Instructions can be found here.

Did you buy the controller and the drone together?.....If so check the settings...if the old owner logged out you may be out of luck....he may have just turned it off and handed it over to you, in which case you should be able to unbind it and log out of his account

Did you buy the controller and the drone together?.....If so check the settings...if the old owner logged out you may be out of luck....he may have just turned it off and handed it over to you, in which case you should be able to unbind it and log out of his account
I bought it from MPB- the entire fly more pack. They are a nationwide retailer of used camera and drone equipment. I will check when I get home tonight. The app seems to recognize my email but I remember seeing the old owners info on one of the set-up screens. I have a 6 month watlrranty from MPB so hopefully they will make good if there is an issue.

I bought it from MPB- the entire fly more pack. They are a nationwide retailer of used camera and drone equipment. I will check when I get home tonight. The app seems to recognize my email but I remember seeing the old owners info on one of the set-up screens. I have a 6 month watlrranty from MPB so hopefully they will make good if there is an issue.
Keep us apprised.

So, I contacted DJI. They have asked for MPB to provide a statement that they were the legal owners of the drone and that it was sold to me with ser#'s and other supporting documentaion on company letterhead signed by head of sales. Upon receiving that they will unbind aircraft and rebind to me. I contacted MPB and they said they will comply. Hopefully this will solve it. If not, even though it was asterisked out I was able to deduce the email of the prior owner and sent him a message (he was last logged in 1237 days ago). He tried to log out but couldn't figure out a way to do so. He is in Japan , I am in USA. He said if the MPB thing doesn't work out, he'll contact DJI directly and try to help me out.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redrover61