DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LAANC vs geofencing while in Class B controlled airspace

mexner

Reactions
Hi,

I live in Texas, in the Dallas Ft. Worth metroplex. I am a recreational pilot - but familiar with most/all of the part 107 rules and regulations, but I am not certified part 107. I'm using AirMap app for my LAANC authorizations as a recreational pilot. Just yesterday, I was 1 mile east of the DFW airport and applied for a LAANC authorization thru AirMap app - and successfully received my authorization. Under 100', 30 minutes, small geographic region. So I fired up my bird (MP2), and launched DJI GO 4, only to see that it would not allow me to fly because of geofencing.

I did some research, while the MP2 was on and ready, and realized that I could "force" my way thru the geofencing. But I had to authorize with DJI, giving them my phone #, and they verified my phone # with a TXT/SMS code. Along with accepting about 6 other "waivers" from DJI, I figured I was "safe" and "approved" since I had an active and approved LAANC authorization.

Just asking others out there about this, as I aim to be a safe and responsible pilot. I recognize flying close (5 miles) is not advised, but with LAANC, it is now allowed. I did follow all of my protocols and actually ended my flight early.

I have verified the FAA UAS Data Map - does provide a 100' ceiling in the area I was flying (most of which is 400'),

Is this the correct process - and did I do everything correct in this context? Appreciate any help and advice others can share in this situation.
Thanks!

Howdy. This can happen frequently.

We have more help info and videos here -- Recreational LAANC | Kittyhawk -- just note that LAANC gives approval to fly from the FAA but that system does not unblock potential DJI geofencing. With a LAANC approval, however, getting an unlock from DJI is pretty straightforward.

Reactions: mexner
Hi,

I live in Texas, in the Dallas Ft. Worth metroplex. I am a recreational pilot - but familiar with most/all of the part 107 rules and regulations, but I am not certified part 107. I'm using AirMap app for my LAANC authorizations as a recreational pilot. Just yesterday, I was 1 mile east of the DFW airport and applied for a LAANC authorization thru AirMap app - and successfully received my authorization. Under 100', 30 minutes, small geographic region. So I fired up my bird (MP2), and launched DJI GO 4, only to see that it would not allow me to fly because of geofencing.

I did some research, while the MP2 was on and ready, and realized that I could "force" my way thru the geofencing. But I had to authorize with DJI, giving them my phone #, and they verified my phone # with a TXT/SMS code. Along with accepting about 6 other "waivers" from DJI, I figured I was "safe" and "approved" since I had an active and approved LAANC authorization.

Just asking others out there about this, as I aim to be a safe and responsible pilot. I recognize flying close (5 miles) is not advised, but with LAANC, it is now allowed. I did follow all of my protocols and actually ended my flight early.

I have verified the FAA UAS Data Map - does provide a 100' ceiling in the area I was flying (most of which is 400'),

Is this the correct process - and did I do everything correct in this context? Appreciate any help and advice others can share in this situation.
Thanks!
That is the process unfortunately so DJI and Chinese government can keep their eye on you now. Logged your IP and location as well no doubt.

Try not to say anything bad about the Chinese government anymore, you are now in the system...

I experience this frequently

The good news is that when you return to the site, or attempt to self unlock a second time or more at any site, the process is faster and easier.

The PITA for me is, I use an ipad mini 5, which does not have cellular, so I have to use my phone to unlock, then re-connect the ipad mini to fly. It's worth it, stil...

What confuses me is being that this is all GPS based, why are DJI no in sync with the FAA's fly zones?

Reactions: Montana John
I experience this frequently

The good news is that when you return to the site, or attempt to self unlock a second time or more at any site, the process is faster and easier.

The PITA for me is, I use an ipad mini 5, which does not have cellular, so I have to use my phone to unlock, then re-connect the ipad mini to fly. It's worth it, stil...

What confuses me is being that this is all GPS based, why are DJI no in sync with the FAA's fly zones?
If you connected your iPad mini to your iPhone's hotspot would that allow you to unlock using the iPad?

Hi,

Thanks!
All above comments should be noted....

I believe theDJI system is due to their product liability and is an effort to reduce their exposure... and their insurance premium along with it.

Reactions: dawgpilot

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78