DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Laanc - What am I missing?

Zeke

Reactions
I don't understand why I can't get approval to fly in a Class D airspace - isn't that what Laanc is for? It seems no matter where I go, unless there are absolutely no restrictions I get the message below when I try to create a flight plan. If this is normal what exactly is Laanc good for? What am I missing here? Screenshot_20200223-202931_AirMap.jpeg

I don't understand why I can't get approval to fly in a Class D airspace - isn't that what Laanc is for? It seems no matter where I go, unless there are absolutely no restrictions I get the message below when I try to create a flight plan. If this is normal what exactly is Laanc good for? What am I missing here? View attachment 94888
I've used this in G space just to see what happens.
I got this same response. I took it to mean I'm free to fly, no restrictions.
When flying I use more than 1 app if I'm not sure.

I've used this in G space just to see what happens.
I got this same response. I took it to mean I'm free to fly, no restrictions.
When flying I use more than 1 app if I'm not sure.
It seems pretty clear to me when it says "Do not fly in Class D airspace without ATC authorization." I don't take that to mean I'm free to fly.

It seems pretty clear to me when it says "Do not fly in Class D airspace without ATC authorization." I don't take that to mean I'm free to fly.
If you find a way to get authorization in D using another means please post. I'm interested to learn.

Is the airport covered by LAANC? Not all airports have LAANC service yet.

I have several airports near home that say they don't have authorization available yet through Laanc, so I understood the message there. But I've tried a number of other locations that I still can't get approval through. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong.

I have several airports near home that say they don't have authorization available yet through Laanc, so I understood the message there. But I've tried a number of other locations that I still can't get approval through. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong.

Too little information to answer that.

Reactions: Zeke
Understood. It's just a pretty basic exercise, not sure what else I could share. I was curious if anyone else was seeing this as well.

Well you could share the location and height you are requesting - that's the only way to attempt to troubleshoot the problem.

As stated above we need more information to even GUESS what is happening.

1) Where are you trying and what ALT are you trying for?
2) What does the Facilities Map for the location you're tying indicate as approved Alt in the sector you're trying?

Keep in mind that any location CAN get denied even in areas and alts there were previously "Approved". Airport and Airspace operations are very fluid/dynamic and circumstances can change to cause a DENIAL. Traffic Patterns can change (maintenance, damage, etc), Traffic can become congested (Military Operations on-Airport can delay manned aircraft as well), and other circumstances can cause a denial out of the blue.

LAANC is fairly straight forward for airports who are currently IN the LAANC system. If you have an airport that is NOT currently in the LAANC system you need to go FAADroneZone to the to request an airspace authorization. It's not hard but it's also not INSTANT. @Thomas B has gotten these approved in his area for a couple of years.

2) What does the Facilities Map for the location you're tying indicate as approved Alt in the sector you're trying?

Keep in mind that any location CAN get denied even in areas and alts there were previously "Approved". Airport and Airspace operations are very fluid/dynamic and circumstances can change to cause a DENIAL. Traffic Patterns can change (maintenance, damage, etc), Traffic can become congested (Military Operations on-Airport can delay manned aircraft as well), and other circumstances can cause a denial out of the blue.

LAANC is fairly straight forward for airports who are currently IN the LAANC system. If you have an airport that is NOT currently in the LAANC system you need to go FAADroneZone to the to request an airspace authorization. It's not hard but it's also not INSTANT. @Thomas B has gotten these approved in his area for a couple of years.
Excellent. Thank you. This is good info.

Reactions: BigAl07

The altitudes in all areas was <300 AGL... but I dug into all the little notes and expandables and I learned that all 3 of the areas I tried for aren't yet in the LAANC system - which explains why auto authorization isn't yet available.

Reactions: BigAl07
The altitudes in all areas was <300 AGL... but I dug into all the little notes and expandables and I learned that all 3 of the areas I tried for aren't yet in the LAANC system - which explains why auto authorization isn't yet available.

At least now you know what you need to do to request approval :)

Reactions: Zeke
Chandler, Mesa Gateway, Goodyear, Glendale, Luke? Airspace can be tough in Phoenix. Airspace authorizations that are good for 2 years aren't too difficult to get, they just take time to get approved.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky