DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LAANC?

22kane

Reactions
I'm a recreational flyer with a mini, and I live in a Class D zone. IAW FAA, I am required to get clearance (LAANC) if I want to fly in my front yard. I live between an AF Base 3.8 miles in one direction and 3.5miles from a major airport in the opposite direction. Some of the resources I've looked at requires I get clearance every time I take my drone up. Am I correct in saying I need to file a flight plan every time I fly? Does the FAA issue blanket clearances for flyers like myself? I never fly higher or further then 40M from my home point. I tend to stay within the guidelines and rules as established for flying a Uas, although I just found out about it after logging 3 hours of flt time. And BTW, I have downloaded B4UFLY and Kittyhawk, just haven't used them yet. I have registered with the FAA as my mini is heavier then 250grams.

KUDOS to you for asking and learning early on. Well done :)

You'll want to look up your exact location using this map (for reference only)
FAA UAS Facility Map
and then if you ARE in an authorization area you'll use Kityyhawk to submit your request for each & every flying session. Not each ind flight but for the flying time you put into the submission.

Take not of the #'s in each square. That's the highest Alt you can "possibly" get approval to fly in that section. It does not mean you WILL get approval because airspace is often a complicated and DYNAMIC area and something that normally gets approved can get denied due to traffic changes, maintenance issues, etc etc.

If it's a (0) then there is no need to submit a request because a hobbyist can't get approval higher than the Alt noted in the square in question.

Looking at Airmap, if you are north of W. Hyland Ave / Quail Bush Dr and west of Summit Ridge there is a lot of 50' airspace restriction. West of Brandt Pike (Rt 201) there is 100' airspace restriction and a little further west you get into 200'

As @BigAl07 stated look at the FAA site. Zoom into your exact location - many different heights in your area

KUDOS to you for asking and learning early on. Well done :)

You'll want to look up your exact location using this map (for reference only)
FAA UAS Facility Map
and then if you ARE in an authorization area you'll use Kityyhawk to submit your request for each & every flying session. Not each ind flight but for the flying time you put into the submission.

Take not of the #'s in each square. That's the highest Alt you can "possibly" get approval to fly in that section. It does not mean you WILL get approval because airspace is often a complicated and DYNAMIC area and something that normally gets approved can get denied due to traffic changes, maintenance issues, etc etc.

If it's a (0) then there is no need to submit a request because a hobbyist can't get approval higher than the Alt noted in the square in question.
Thank you for explaining to me how it works. Now I think I know the way forward, and hope to avoid unnecessary situations.
Looking at Airmap, if you are north of W. Hyland Ave / Quail Bush Dr and west of Summit Ridge there is a lot of 50' airspace restriction. West of Brandt Pike (Rt 201) there is 100' airspace restriction and a little further west you get into 200'

As @BigAl07 stated look at the FAA site. Zoom into your exact location - many different heights in your area
Thank you for input. Glad I decided to put the question forward. I'll venture out to an area where I can at least get an altitude of 100'. As a side note, in the mid 80's, I was assigned to a RCAT (Radio Controlled Aerial Target) unit with OHARNG. On weekends, RC hobbyist would fly on Area B that was designated for RC airplanes. On week ends, I would go out there with Styrofoam 1/9th scale Mig21's and F16s as a recruiting tool, but mostly just to show off. Drew a lot of interest, but almost all the hobbyist were either retirees or active duty. Made for interesting conversation, being everything back then was fixed wing.

Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa