DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lady threw a rock at my drone

As far as I know it’s perfectly legal to harass part 107 pilots or any other pilot.
However damaging your drone or any other aircraft is a federal violation.
Actually, at least in Canada, it is illegal to harass a pilot.

People can be stupid and opinionated, (just like the issue of not wearing a mask in public, even though it's proven to help reduce the spread of Covid19).

Or people who insist masks do anything are stupid and opinionated given there are NO peer review papers published what-so-ever that show any benefit at all. Peer review being the gold standard of scientific method....

I would just raise up the drone another 30 to 40 feet, and keep on flying. If she could hit that high, then she is pretty strong.

This is basically it. In the UK you can't be within 50m of uninvolved people (30m takeoff/landing). EASA A2 are 30m. Good luck to anyone through a rock that distance and certainly not with any accuracy. Therefore, if its close enough to get hit by a hand thrown rock, in most places, you're too close.

Even if you dont have specific rules then being considerate is useful. You dont really NEED to be annoyingly close to a third a party so why do it, just angle and fly slightly away.
Just because the law says you CAN do something, doesnt always mean you should...

I've had kids pick up rocks and throw them, but I'm usually high enough that they couldn't reach that high even if they had that good of aim. I usually assume it is just good natured humor not really evil intent. Makes for a fun video clip, but I move on just in case it is a sign they don't like being on camera.

"Stick and Stones may break my bones but my Drone simply laughs at you"

"you throw like a girl, man up"

I remember after reading all this about the time I was flying a glider on the cliff and I had a friends son with me so he could watch slope soaring for the first time. I was buzzing back and forth and Justin just happened to be throwing rocks and I actually said to him if you can hit it go ahead and hit it after about the third pass and flying too low he did. You should have seen how big his eyes got. I said it was no big deal since he had permission. It doesn't have much to do with the conversation about people meaning harm, nonetheless I thought I'd tell it. It was something that I had forgotten about. as it happened about 40 yrs ago.

Last edited:
People can be stupid and opinionated, (just like the issue of not wearing a mask in public, even though it's proven to help reduce the spread of Covid19). I would just raise up the drone another 30 to 40 feet, and keep on flying. If she could hit that high, then she is pretty strong. I assume she was not using a sling shot.

Sad that she felt felt that was the right thing to do, but I am not surprised at all by this type of behavior.

Paul C
I agree. My motto.for several years now is "don't antagonize psychopath". You really do not know who you are dealing with these days.

So interesting story, I was out flying tonight on the beach, in a legal airspace. There were no advisories, airspace’s or restrictions anywhere near me, so it was a 100% legal flight

In addition, I was flying out over the ocean to avoid flying over people in any way. A lady with her dog walks up near my drone, picks up a rock and chucks it at the drone. She misses and picks up another, missing again. My drone was well over 30ft in the air so she luckily didn’t hit it. I was flying several hundred feet away and didn’t have the chance to chase her down, but I just wanted to see what you guys thought might’ve happened if she had hit and broke the drone.

I assume that if the drone was damaged, she would at least be responsible for the damage. Is that true? I just want to learn as much as I can so I’m prepared to educate people on potential charges they may face for harassing part 107 pilots.
Why is it, or so it seems, that most of the trouble drone pilots encounter are from women between 20 - 45 yrs old?...just asking...be smart fly safe

So interesting story, I was out flying tonight on the beach, in a legal airspace. There were no advisories, airspace’s or restrictions anywhere near me, so it was a 100% legal flight

In addition, I was flying out over the ocean to avoid flying over people in any way. A lady with her dog walks up near my drone, picks up a rock and chucks it at the drone. She misses and picks up another, missing again. My drone was well over 30ft in the air so she luckily didn’t hit it. I was flying several hundred feet away and didn’t have the chance to chase her down, but I just wanted to see what you guys thought might’ve happened if she had hit and broke the drone.

I assume that if the drone was damaged, she would at least be responsible for the damage. Is that true? I just want to learn as much as I can so I’m prepared to educate people on potential charges they may face for harassing part 107 pilots.
She can get charged under Title 18 Federal US code 32.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Many people feel threatened by drones for privacy and safety. It doesn't justify what she did, but we have to live with the fact that there are quite some people out there feeling like that.
It often helps to talk to them, show them the screen and explain them about the fun, let them even touch the stick to hoover a bit higher. Then I sometimes do an 'asteroid' and later send them the file or a link. It also worked with some police officers who came to check! :)
My M2P converted some people to friends of drones!

If self education is your primary goal, you might start with learning that flying so close that a lady thinks she can hit your drone with a rock, may not be a good idea. The next person may succeed, and there is no way you can be certain that they would pay for the damage, even if they should.
Be smart, be courteous, be safe.

Reactions: Shameless Shamus
If your drone is close enough to an uninvolved 3rd party to be hit by a rock, its too close.
Just as rule of caution. I gotta agree with gnirts. It would help, calm down some of the tough guy talk here if we could see any footage you have. I use a Mavic Air, and if I’m below 100’agl, it’s quite loud. You know I’m in your area.

You can repost this again as much as you like to get the word out as there will be more threads like it no doubt.

WARNING: FEDERAL OFFENSE

INTENTIONALLY DAMAGING OR SABOTAGE OF AN AIRCRAFT IS A FELONY PUNISHABLE BY FINES UP TO $10,000, INPRISONMENT FOR UP TO 20 YEARS, OR EVEN DEATH IF SAID DAMAGE CAUSES AN ACCIDENT RESULTING IN LOSS OF LIFE. THE FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION WILL BE NOTIFIED.

18 USC §32, 18 USC §34

Recreational or Part 107, just like if you don't like my car you can't throw a rock at it.

150ft is a long way to throw a rock. Personally if I can see a person I land. Why piss people off. Some people just see an arial camera. Sorry but that is reality.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest