DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lake Mead - Can I Fly?

RandomlySet

Reactions
Afternoon all... Just planning some of our US road trip for later in the year, and I'm obviously wanting to do some droning.

One place we're going is Lake Mead, now I know this is a NFZ. However, when we head back to Vegas, rather than going back via Boulder City, I'm gonna head north, along the edge of Lake Mead and then head to Henderson.

Now 8-10 miles from the tour location, there are some rest area (link below). Do you think I could fly here? Hell, I'm not even bothered about going over the water, just fly from the parking lot to the shoreline and get an "overview" shot... The rest areas are about 12-14 miles from Hoover Dam itself.

IMO, common sense applies and fly with caution.

Google Maps

That's proper w@nk

How strict are they? Like, can I not just go straight up and down?

Interesting to see their entire area goes almost to Laughlin. We're off there about a week after, and have already emailed Bullhead City airport about flying over the river and they've said it should be ok and to let them know on the day (which makes sense, plus the river runs parallel to the airport (which sees only a handful of flights each week anyway)

Good to see that the fifth most dangerous boating area in the entire US is bothered about drones. Priorities out of whack or what?

That's a complete non sequitur. Are you suggesting that they should suspend all other regulations until they have eliminated boating accidents?

Reactions: UAVNV
So you are suggesting that all other NPS regulations be suspended? Or did you not understand my question?

No need to be facetious.

I'm suggesting it's a terminally stupid regulation in the first place. Why not ban boating? Sixteen drone deaths in six months in a small area would attract incalculable amounts of vitriol and probably a total nationwide ban or similar. It's authoritarian stupidity and ignorance on an epic scale.

No need to be facetious.

I'm suggesting it's a terminally stupid regulation in the first place. Why not ban boating? Sixteen drone deaths in six months in a small area would attract incalculable amounts of vitriol and probably a total nationwide ban or similar. It's authoritarian stupidity and ignorance on an epic scale.

The NPS ban on UAVs is not to prevent deaths, it's because they are perceived to be a public nuisance, especially in locations that attract large numbers of tourists.

And sixteen dead people in six months isn't a nuisance? Oh wait, you have a point don't you.....

At this point you are clearly being deliberately obtuse. I'll go back to my original question, but try to restate it in terms that even you cannot pretend not to understand. Are you suggesting that the fact that boating is allowed means that all activities causing fewer fatalities than boating should automatically also be allowed?

At this point you are clearly being deliberately obtuse. I'll go back to my original question, but try to restate it in terms that even you cannot pretend not to understand. Are you suggesting that the fact that boating is allowed means that all activities causing fewer fatalities than boating should automatically also be allowed?

Stop patronising people who don't agree with your rather illogical point of view, it's tedious.

Whoever said "all"? I was talking about drones, nothing else. Drones and the sheer stupidity of banning them for their "nuisance value" while boaters are free to kill and maim at will. If you can't see that then your sense of proportion is dysfunctional.

I'm done.

So I had gone to the Hoover dam with the wife yesterday and on the way back stopped off at the lookout area that views lake Meade
Lake Mead - Lakeview Overlook
Historic Railroad Hiking Trail, Boulder City, NV 89005
Google Maps

In airmap it has the whole area blocked off as nfz but in b4ufly and even in the mavic startup it is all clear with no warnings. I didn't launch since the wind was a little excessive but is that area a good place with it's conflicting information?

So I had gone to the Hoover dam with the wife yesterday and on the way back stopped off at the lookout area that views lake Meade
Lake Mead - Lakeview Overlook
Historic Railroad Hiking Trail, Boulder City, NV 89005
Google Maps

In airmap it has the whole area blocked off as nfz but in b4ufly and even in the mavic startup it is all clear with no warnings. I didn't launch since the wind was a little excessive but is that area a good place with it's conflicting information?

It may be confusing, but it's not conflicting information. It's legal to fly there, in terms of airspace (so no FAA prohibition) but the NPS prohibits sUAS operations (takeoff and landing) inside the Lake Mead National Recreation Area.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803