DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lake Michigan Ice

RadioFlyerMan

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Here are the current conditions on Lake Michigan at the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. Filmed 3/8/19 in Empire.

That’s a lot of ice, and those pressure ridges are awesome! I have some poppy and wildflower photos to share tomorrow also- they’re growing crazy right now here in the desert. Keep warm out there! :)

That’s a lot of ice, and those pressure ridges are awesome! I have some poppy and wildflower photos to share tomorrow also- they’re growing crazy right now here in the desert. Keep warm out there! :)

...and tonight, we’re right in the middle of another storm!

Reactions: AMann
US Coast Guard Sector Detroit posted this, along with a dozen pictures, on their Facebook page: "The warmer weather can mean very dangerous conditions on the ice. This is the situation that around 200 people found themselves in this morning. An ice floe detached from the main ice and began to drift, acting as a small ice island, in Western Lake Erie, near Catawba Island." None of their photos were taken by a drone, though.:confused:

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
US Coast Guard Sector Detroit posted this, along with a dozen pictures, on their Facebook page: "The warmer weather can mean very dangerous conditions on the ice. This is the situation that around 200 people found themselves in this morning. An ice floe detached from the main ice and began to drift, acting as a small ice island, in Western Lake Erie, near Catawba Island." None of their photos were taken by a drone, though.:confused:

That type of documentation would be good for rescuers- counting people and surveying the situation from afar for planning and triage if necessary before the helos and ambulances are called out. Hope all are safe, people sometimes panic and do dumb things when stuff like that happen.

Last edited:
Beautiful clip. Chosen music and postprocessing are so well done that I am nearly jaleous!
And again a good example that the MP is not yet old fashioned!

Thank you. It’s comments like yours that make me enjoy this hobby. I can’t afford a better computer or the Adobe software, but I work with what I have. Still learning.

great video!

Well done video. I wonder how long it has been since the lake has frozen over like that. My mom would tell me stories of how icebergs were common on the lake 50-70 years ago.

Well done video. I wonder how long it has been since the lake has frozen over like that. My mom would tell me stories of how icebergs were common on the lake 50-70 years ago.

It’s amazing how quickly it changes. We had extensive ice, then a few days later it was mostly gone. Then back down to -6 deg below and it’s back again! And today I’ve got another 5 inches to plow! I say let the guy who put it there take it away.

Reactions: AMann

Thanks.

I’m 72, lived in Michigan all my life. I remember huge ice formations when I was a kid in St. Joseph/Benton Harbor. The climate has really changed. Eventually, we’ll become the new Florida!

It’s amazing how quickly it changes. We had extensive ice, then a few days later it was mostly gone. Then back down to -6 deg below and it’s back again! And today I’ve got another 5 inches to plow! I say let the guy who put it there take it away.

Or as they say in Montana; don’t shovel it, what falls in your yard will blow into your neighbor’s yard by tomorrow!

You guys are going to have a wonderful spring and summer when they arrive!

Or as they say in Montana; don’t shovel it, what falls in your yard will blow into your neighbor’s yard by tomorrow!

You guys are going to have a wonderful spring and summer when they arrive!

Lol! We do that with leaves in the fall.

I live in north central Illinois, so I know how the winters are. While I'm tired of snow and cold, I must admit it can provide some sights (as your beautiful video proves) that are difficult to ignore. I managed to get some video this winter, even pushing myself and my Mavic Pro Platinum to our limits, when it was below zero. Thanks for sharing!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canuckdive