DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing behavior changes???

Memor86

Reactions
I just noticed something weird when landing my air 2s with the latest firmware.
If i remember correctly. It used to work like this.
When landing pushing left stick down it would get at about 2 feet from the ground and stop then if keept the stick down it would continue to land by itself and turn off the motors even if i let go of the stick while it entered landing mode.

Now i just noticed that if i release the stick it will stop landing and hover in place... even if it has already touched down it will not stop motors automatically unless i keep the left stick down.

I used to let go of the left stick once it entered landing mode.

It does detect the ground because it slows down and lands slowly (a little bit harder than before actually) but once it detects the ground it comes down gently even in sport mode.

Is hope i explained myself, is this a new firmware feature?? Mine is up to date.

Oh also i think i remember the app would speak "landing" right?? Or am i wrong

Did you try to auto land function from the phone screen?

Did you try to auto land function from the phone screen?
No, i always land with the stick and im 98% sure the app said landing and then I would release the stick and it woild land and turn off the motors. Ill charge my batteries and do more tests tomorrow.

I haven't used my Air 2s for a while. When I did I would generally do a RTH and let it do the rest. You could fly far enough from Home and then do a RTH to the same spot where you had an issue and see what happens. If the are is deemed unsuitable the landing sequence will change to hover.

I just noticed something weird when landing my air 2s with the latest firmware.
If i remember correctly. It used to work like this.
When landing pushing left stick down it would get at about 2 feet from the ground and stop then if keept the stick down it would continue to land by itself and turn off the motors even if i let go of the stick while it entered landing mode.

Now i just noticed that if i release the stick it will stop landing and hover in place... even if it has already touched down it will not stop motors automatically unless i keep the left stick down.

I used to let go of the left stick once it entered landing mode.

It does detect the ground because it slows down and lands slowly (a little bit harder than before actually) but once it detects the ground it comes down gently even in sport mode.

Is hope i explained myself, is this a new firmware feature?? Mine is up to date.

Oh also i think i remember the app would speak "landing" right?? Or am i wrong

You piqued my curiosity, so I fired up the Air 2S and had a look.

Fly 1.6.9, Aircraft 02.04.2190, RC 04.12.0056, controller in Normal mode

I tried six landings and the behavior is as it's always been and as you described yours was in the past. When descending using left stick back, the aircraft paused about two feet above ground and then continued down. The "Landing" voice prompt was issued as the aircraft descended.

I've always held the stick back until the props were completely stopped. (Echoing what my flight instructor directed for the throttle in that Cessna 150 years ago.) Just now, I tried letting the left stick go after the final descent began. The aircraft landed and shut the motors down on its own. (I won't make a habit of that, though.)

So, it seems to me that you're remembering everything correctly. It's odd that your Air 2S is behaving differently now. Are your firmware versions the same. I verified that mine are up-to-date just now.

Like you, I'm not a fan of routine RTH use. More flying experience is a good thing.

Thanks for confirming, i just noticed that my dji fly app was not up to date. The firmware is but I used a different device to fly this time. Also something different this time is that before flying with the dji fly app, i did a test flight with drone deploy app and I did a mission to do an orthomap. When it finished I landed, closed all the running apps on my phone and ran dji fly and did some manual pictures, that's when I noticed the different behavior, i only had one battery but I'm going back to test maybe then previous app messed up something on the firmware (i did not restarted the drone).

I just did a test flight, the bottom sensors (height) is not working. I can put my hand under it and the drone should climb but it doesn't. Still behaving the same with app and eveything.

Does the desktop app have a way to test the ir sensors?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser