DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing by grabbing drone with your hand: Is it bad for the drone?

That’s something I’ve never tried. Hand launching. Guess it’s like hand catching. You do it enough it’s just natural to you.
Me I like my truck though lots say steel messes up the compass.
Me not so.
Truck Pad
So is landing. I don’t mind land in the back.
Now my DJI FPV likes taking off from the hood of my truck but havn’t flown it enough to feel comfortable landing back on it.
But I will givin enough time with it ?
To be clear, I only hand launch my air 2 lol. My Dji FPV I don't fiddle with hand launching or landing lol.

Bad for drone - no
Bad for your hand - yes
Caught with my hand several times successfully however a warning. When it's windy and the drone is bobbing around, not a good idea to catch with your hand. I lacerated finger today when catching my drone on return as it was gusty and the drone was bobbing around bit. Nasty cut and bled profusely while the drone was still waiting to land and bobbing towards my car. A quick genuflect to the drone God and caught it with my other hand whilst thinking I must not do this again when it's windy.
BTW - it hurt like hell and it's a good idea to have a first aid kit in the car as fortunately I did.

• Wow
Reactions: Grazuncle
It's actually probably better for the drone. It prevents debri on the ground from flying around and getting into motors or the camera gimbal. Especially on the beach with all that sand. If I'm flying in a place with lots of dust, dirt, or sand on the ground i'll often hand catch my drones. Even my EVO2, even though I know it's blades can cut to the bone, if I make a mistake. The big drones are dangerous, so be careful.

True but I also have two landing pads. One larger than the other and works great too. Fun working on your accuracy too when landing. The only downfall is that it's just another thing to have to set up and carry around. I will not land on any ground without a pad because i don't want rocks or dirt flying up.

Landing pads and good "safe" landing locations are not going to always be there. I do a lot of waterfall droning and hand catching it is about all there is - as well as hand launching. Only time I have lightly clipped a finger was in some winds and the drone (Air2) was moving a tad bit. Had on some gloves at the time, so no damage. Usually fly with a couple other droners, so one will catch while the pilot is landing.

Never have used the "app" to land in hand. Downstick on the controller does it all. Hard to pay attention to the drone and the app at the same time, while the controller stick is pretty simple and you're using it anyway typically to land. RTH is a failsafe for me and I do not use it 99% of the time, as RTH may not be close to where I am depending on GPS signals and such in my location.

I totally forgot that holding down on the left stick will still land and stop the drone while the drone is in your hand landing.

This is much easier than holding the "land" button in the app.

(M2Z) Same as a few others here have stated, hover above eye height, hold hand beneath, down stick till it lands in your hand and motors stop. Strong winds can make it a bit tricky. My Spark, would just grab it and turn it sideways, motors stop automatically.

Never had an issue.
with my MA2 - I did a hand grab and turned it sideways... it fought me really hard.
I will use a leather glove next time I try that.

Hand catching with a low profile UAV??...no thanks, I’ll just poke a sharp stick in my eye.

I keep my hands off that thing as soon as the props start rotating. My ten digits are too precious. However, I would not go to the lengths these people on a boat had to:

At 2:44 you can see how they get the drone back onboard. Yeah, that is called "safe".

Accept most of your comments - mainly cos i was unclear about exactly what circumstance ‘fighting’ it were! Having caught the props in unusual circumstances and had a good gash as a result- i tend to use a well paced helipad and RTH every time now.
You could also put on a reinforced glove (Kevlar fiber) which should protect you from the props if something untoward happens.

I have tried it once in doors because it was drifting away slightly and didn't want to risk pushing the sticks the wrong way. I remember that if you grab it and turn it quickly sideways it turns of the rotors.. And it did..

I did bite me twice in the past.. But related to this one time though.

with my MA2 - I did a hand grab and turned it sideways... it fought me really hard.
I will use a leather glove next time I try that.
Tried that with the M2Z once, and yes, it fought me, much more than the Spark does. Haven't tried since with it. Just let it settle into a flat, or slightly cupped hand.

Tried that with the M2Z once, and yes, it fought me, much more than the Spark does. Haven't tried since with it. Just let it settle into a flat, or slightly cupped hand.
I only have the Mini and there was some resistance... I'd like to turn the rotors off too. It would help if you didn't have to hold the RC and operate the stick as well. A lanyard would help to at least take the 'dropping it on the floor' fear!

I only have the Mini and there was some resistance... I'd like to turn the rotors off too. It would help if you didn't have to hold the RC and operate the stick as well. A lanyard would help to at least take the 'dropping it on the floor' fear!
Ahhh yes, I neglected to mention I use a lanyard.

I only hand catch my drones when the ground is cluttered with plants , sand, dirt or just a place I can't land. I try never to land on beach sand, even with leg extenders. I don't need my gimbal getting debri in it. JUST PRACTICE AT HOME. Where gloves if your nervous. Just get your drone to hover near you at a level where you can grab it when your ready to lower it into your hand. Turning of the obstacle sensors may help keep the drone from trying to go up when you put your hand under it. Anyway, As soon as you put your hand under it, while holding the RC in the other hand with your thumb over the altitude stick, push the stick down and hold it down until you catch it and the blades stop. DO NOT move the hand you grabbed your drone with, until the blades stop spinning. Why? Because the drone will try to fly back to the exact place you grabbed it. It will push and pull trying to stay in the exact place where your hand was when it lands on it. If you push it up or down it will also resist and the motors may rev up. So, Just remember. Keep your grabbing hand as still as possible after the drone lands on it. Then patiently wait for the motors to stop. That's what I do anyway. Others may have different techniques.

Ahhh yes, I neglected to mention I use a lanyard.
something like this?

anyone here using this type of lanyard on a Mini 2 RC?

Hey all, how do you hand launch by yourselves??
I’ve got a mini 2 and as far as I know the only way to launch is use both thumbs on the sticks to get the rotors spinning before using the left stick to launch into the air. How would you do this process with only one hand?
Thanks in advance

I’ve got a mini 2 and as far as I know the only way to launch is use both thumbs on the sticks to get the rotors spinning before using the left stick to launch into the air. How would you do this process with only one hand?
Thanks in advance
Hand Launching, here's two ways...
1/ the hard way - I turn on (arm) the AC with the AC in my right hand (finger grip) then I balance the controller and device on my right forearm then use my left hand thumb and index finger to pinch the two sticks in and down. The motors start. I now just hold the FC in my left hand with no control input and then raise my right hand (with the AC) up several inches and then lower my hand and release the AC as it senses the slight drop and the motors spin up and the AC hovers. Option is to give it throttle with the left stick while balancing the FC on your forearm but the raise and lower technique works better for me.
2/ easier way - Same as above, first arm AC in right hand, FC balanced on forearm, then left hand tap the screen takeoff icon on your device. The AC motors will spin up, raise a few feet and hover.

Thanks in advance
Don't know about the Mini 2, but with the M2Z I just use the Auto-Takeoff function in the GO 4 App. Again, having a lanyard really helps. Hold the drone ABOVE EYE LEVEL in one hand, activate auto-takeoff with the other. Motors spin up and you're away.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61