DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing DJI drones by hand, does it damage it?

I agree with Gringorio that “there are risks involved but good judgment and experience go a long way”. I have confidence in my own ability but I won’t let my wife or friends hand catch the drone. When they’re ready, newer pilots can take on the responsibility of making that choice for themselves. I often wonder how many people see those “how to” videos on uTube and end up with a trip to the ER?

Last edited:
The biggest problem with the newer drones, with down facing sensors, is that they detect the hand and the drone jumps back up to half a metre. Takes a lot of practice to get a smooth hand catch. I occasionally try it if there is other option.

The biggest problem with the newer drones, with down facing sensors, is that they detect the hand and the drone jumps back up to half a metre. Takes a lot of practice to get a smooth hand catch. I occasionally try it if there is other option.
I fly with all sensors off to avoid that problem and others, though is it true that some of the newer drones don't have the option to disable the downward sensors?

Just keep holding the left stick in the down position and, after a brief hesitation, it’ll come down to your hand thinking it’s the ground. You don’t need to fool around trying to turn off the sensors unless you have another reason to do so. Best wishes.

Last edited:
Reactions: okw and MS Coast
Just keep holding the left stick in the down position and, after a brief hesitation, it’ll come down to your hand thinking it’s the ground. You don’t need to fool around trying to turn off the sensors unless you have another reason to do so. Best wishes.
I just posted a new thread specifically in the Mavic 3 forum. But still applies. I always land on my hand as described here with no issues. But after their latest firmware update a week or two ago, it comes down stops when it sees your hand and won’t come down any further even with the stick still held down. It’s possible I didn’t do it correctly (continuously holding the stick down), so I’ll try again, but curios if anyone has tried this with the Mavic 3 on the new firmware

Well I partially figured it out. I seems like a timing issue. I guess I wasn’t waiting for it to see my hand entirely.
It may work multiple ways, but hovering it to just about head level, then putting your hand under, it will then raise somewhat, then hold down the stick while not moving your hand and it will land and then shut off.
I think the first issue I had was I was on a moving boat and my hand did not stay under it so it would not come down further and land. I believe if I could have kept my hand stationary (but stationary under the mavic, meaning move counter the boat movement), it would have landed). But too many things were moving and I kept trying to lower the stick. Second time I tried on land and I was again not waiting for it to recognize my hand (meaning move my hand under the sensor, it will go up some, then hold the stick down).
Went out again a little bit ago and made sure to do as described (tried maybe 5 or 6 times). Bring it down to just above head level and let it hover, move my hand below it so it moves up some, then while keeping my hand stationary, hold the stick down and it landed no problem.
I believe all my confusion was caused by all the movement going on while on the boat.

Just curious if landing DJI drones by hand (grab it while still hovering in air then powering it off), does it damage the hardware? It always makes me nervous since you can still feel the aircraft still trying to hover on it's own and you feel vibration.

Also is there a way to have the drone power off from powering off the RC? Last night I powered off the RC and the drone stayed on which makes no sense since the connection between the drone and the RC was cut off.

I feel that anyone who "Grabs" a drone out of the air to hand catch is doing little more than "knocking it out of the air" with a shoe or water bottle. Sure it works, but swatting it with a tennis racket will also cause it to land…

Watch various YouTube Video on hand catching and hand launching. There are some videos of a guy who lives in an apartment, several stories up and just "throws" his drone out the window. He's up high enough for the drone to recover before it hits the ground. Another guy flies from his car, he firers up the motors and just tosses the drone out the car window…

When I hand launch or hand catch, the drone lifts off or settle back onto my open palm, I do not grab it. Oh I have grabbed it, just to know how it is done. BUT, I would only use this technique if I am almost out of battery and a dog is "lunging" for the Drone…

When I have had a thoughtless dog owner with an unleashed dog, I take the dog for a run, I fly low, getting to dog to chase the drone and lead it a long way away. Then I quickly rise up in altitude and fly home, leaning the dog out in the "west forty" and the dog owner chasing after their unleashed dog.

Hand Lunching/Catching so it does not fly into your face…

Hand Lunching/Catching so the Dogs don't eat it…

You can also do your own search on this web site, the little "Magnifying Glass" Icon, top right, and enter various search criteria…

Even if done slightly "improperly", and the drone tries to lift off from your hand, it might go to max power for a few seconds, it cannot possibly do any harm.

I make sure I get a firm hold on it but not pull it down, keep holding the throttle down, and the motors will shut off within 2 or 3 seconds. Once the motors are off, then it doesn't try to do anything. The simple act of landing by hand won't do any damage to the drone. Just make sure you hold it tight until the the props are stopped, or it might damage you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure