Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to drones from Cincinnati Ohio

mpcook

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
www.anactics.com
I am new to drones, my flying experience is limited to being a passenger on commercial aircraft.:) I have a DJI Mini 2 and am just getting familiar with it. So far, I think it was a great choice for me. I've done a few flights indoors in my wife's boutique and posted a couple of 30 second clips to advertise her wares. I did clip a jewelry display but lucky me, no damage to the drone or the jewelry. I have a half acre property with few trees, so practicing is convenient right outside my back door. Mainly I got the drone for fun. I've been on this forum for a day or so and have already learned quite a lot, this is a great resource!

Welcome to the forum! :)

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. I am a Mini 2 Flyer and I know the excitement of flight. So, if I may offer some advice.

Do not let the excitement of the moment get the best of you. When you are going out to fly, do it slowly and deliberately. Get used to a set procedure and even practice it.

There are so many things I could write but these are the highlights that I feel need mentioning.

Plug in your phone/tablet into your controller; turn on the Controller and DJI Fly App (if it does not start on its own…). On the Drone, open the front legs, then open the back legs, then remove the Gimbal Cover.

The Gimbal is the most delicate item on the Drone and banging or bumping can damage it. I also fastened a short "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the cover so it's more noticeable and I do not forget to remove it…

Turn on the drone and watch it come to "life." Watching the Gimbal go through its self-check is almost like watching a kitten or puppy opening its eyes for the first time…

Place the drone down (preferably on a Landing Pad) while it finishes its self-test (collecting satellites, etc…).

Check your battery status (Phone, Drone, and Controller), check the Signal Strength, by now the Controller should have reported it updated the Home Point.

Lift off, 4-5 feet (1-1/2 meters) or so, hover a bit, check the controls (move the drone a bit forward, back, left, right, yaw left and right). By now, your Controller will probably report again, Home point Updated.

If you go out in a rush and race thru your start up and take off before the drone has finished it prep, it may update its Home Point over that pond or that old tree you are flying over and in your excitement, you'll fly the drone long past it Low Battery point and when it engages Return to Home and lands in the pond or in a tree; it will be all on you…

Now go have fun, learn to fly the drone by sight before you try to fly it out a distance depending on the video feed, FPV.

I would also advise you to use YouTube and watch a lot of the Videos on flying and setting up the Drone. When it is too dark, too cold, or too wet, you can "fly it vicariously" through YouTube. Also watch some of the Blooper Drone Videos and learn how not to fly your "New Baby."

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mini 2. You will also find the 75-page User's Manual, in case your Drone did not come with one. The User Manuals are published in different languages.

After you read the Manual, read it again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

DJI Mini 2 - Download Center - DJI

Happy and Safe Droning…

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. I am a Mini 2 Flyer and I know the excitement of flight. So, if I may offer some advice.

Do not let the excitement of the moment get the best of you. When you are going out to fly, do it slowly and deliberately. Get used to a set procedure and even practice it.

There are so many things I could write but these are the highlights that I feel need mentioning.

Plug in your phone/tablet into your controller; turn on the Controller and DJI Fly App (if it does not start on its own…). On the Drone, open the front legs, then open the back legs, then remove the Gimbal Cover.

The Gimbal is the most delicate item on the Drone and banging or bumping can damage it. I also fastened a short "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the cover so it's more noticeable and I do not forget to remove it…

Turn on the drone and watch it come to "life." Watching the Gimbal go through its self-check is almost like watching a kitten or puppy opening its eyes for the first time…

Place the drone down (preferably on a Landing Pad) while it finishes its self-test (collecting satellites, etc…).

Check your battery status (Phone, Drone, and Controller), check the Signal Strength, by now the Controller should have reported it updated the Home Point.

Lift off, 4-5 feet (1-1/2 meters) or so, hover a bit, check the controls (move the drone a bit forward, back, left, right, yaw left and right). By now, your Controller will probably report again, Home point Updated.

If you go out in a rush and race thru your start up and take off before the drone has finished it prep, it may update its Home Point over that pond or that old tree you are flying over and in your excitement, you'll fly the drone long past it Low Battery point and when it engages Return to Home and lands in the pond or in a tree; it will be all on you…

Now go have fun, learn to fly the drone by sight before you try to fly it out a distance depending on the video feed, FPV.

I would also advise you to use YouTube and watch a lot of the Videos on flying and setting up the Drone. When it is too dark, too cold, or too wet, you can "fly it vicariously" through YouTube. Also watch some of the Blooper Drone Videos and learn how not to fly your "New Baby."

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mini 2. You will also find the 75-page User's Manual, in case your Drone did not come with one. The User Manuals are published in different languages.

After you read the Manual, read it again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

DJI Mini 2 - Download Center - DJI

Happy and Safe Droning…
Thanks so much for the advice and resources, most helpful...this will become my flight checklist. A few questions from a newbie: 1. How necessary is a landing pad? I have been taking off/landing from concrete. So far, so good. 2. I have been using a retired Blackberry Priv connected to the controller. The Blackberry is a bit quirky so thinking of getting a new tablet. Is wifi-only enough, or will I need a tablet with cellular?

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

A few questions from a newbie:

Ok, here is my advice; get yourself a landing pad. To see and feel why, fly your drone over your head a couple of feet, or just hover it a few inches over your head and walk under it… That Drone kicks up quite a bit of prop wash… So, even if you only take off and land on cement, there will always be sand and dust on that cement and remember what I wrote earlier about the Gimbal (it's the most delicate part on that drone), that prop wash picking up sand and grit, even from relatively clean cement will sooner or later bind up or even damage that gimbal as well as kick up dirt that can get inside the cooling vents of the drone.

A landing pad also allows you to travel all over the place, lawns, beach, etc… and fly without fear of damaging your baby…

I also advice you learn how to hand launch and hand catch. At a park that I fly at often has recently seen a spat of folks letting their dogs run free. Imagine, your Controller is Beeping and your battery warning is flashing and your baby has attracted the attention of some dogs. If you try to land it on the pad, the dog will beat you to it…

Check out the YouTube Videos on hand launching/catching. Always keep your back to the wind when launching or catching. That way, if a sudden gust of wind blows just as the drone gets some air, you do not have to worry that the Drone will wind up in your face… Also, do not use the "quick tilt" to shut the motors down unless it is an emergency, learn to put it into landing mode and just let it settle into your hand. Some of these video-Tubers think it's cool to reach out and grab the drone out of the air and if you tilt the drone over on its side, it shut down. I think they will damage their gimbals do that.

Now, as for a Tablet, I use two different WiFi only tablets, one is the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (8" screen) 3 GB Ram/32 GB Storage and it works great, Good weight and good image. I also use a Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 (10" screen) 4 GB Ram/64 GB Storage, heavy but a bigger image, especially when flying FPV. The issue is they are WiFi only and I cannot get new maps when out in the field. I have to open the DJI Fly App and scroll over the location to download the street and satellite maps from home. This is only needed if I land out of sight or crash and I need to use "Find my Drone" With satellite maps loaded, you can tell which tree your drone is in… Now, if your phone has Hot Spotting (tethering) then a WiFi only tab could get it maps using your phone data. My phone does not support tethering…

Good Luck and go to sleep reading a good manual… BTW, I also have the user manual printed in my travel bag and loaded on the tablets.

Finally, go to the FAA Web Site to register your Drone and Get your TRUST Certificate

FAADroneZone

Hello from the Crossroads of America mpcook.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Welcome to the forum! If you need any product support or help, please do not hesitate to let us know. Also, we would like to offer you a 5% discount on our online store: www.FloridaDroneSupply.com - Use Code: NEWFORUMPILOT at checkout! Have a great day!

*Discount does not apply to DJI Enterprise Drones.

Ok, here is my advice; get yourself a landing pad. To see and feel why, fly your drone over your head a couple of feet, or just hover it a few inches over your head and walk under it… That Drone kicks up quite a bit of prop wash… So, even if you only take off and land on cement, there will always be sand and dust on that cement and remember what I wrote earlier about the Gimbal (it's the most delicate part on that drone), that prop wash picking up sand and grit, even from relatively clean cement will sooner or later bind up or even damage that gimbal as well as kick up dirt that can get inside the cooling vents of the drone.

A landing pad also allows you to travel all over the place, lawns, beach, etc… and fly without fear of damaging your baby…

I also advice you learn how to hand launch and hand catch. At a park that I fly at often has recently seen a spat of folks letting their dogs run free. Imagine, your Controller is Beeping and your battery warning is flashing and your baby has attracted the attention of some dogs. If you try to land it on the pad, the dog will beat you to it…

Check out the YouTube Videos on hand launching/catching. Always keep your back to the wind when launching or catching. That way, if a sudden gust of wind blows just as the drone gets some air, you do not have to worry that the Drone will wind up in your face… Also, do not use the "quick tilt" to shut the motors down unless it is an emergency, learn to put it into landing mode and just let it settle into your hand. Some of these video-Tubers think it's cool to reach out and grab the drone out of the air and if you tilt the drone over on its side, it shut down. I think they will damage their gimbals do that.

Now, as for a Tablet, I use two different WiFi only tablets, one is the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (8" screen) 3 GB Ram/32 GB Storage and it works great, Good weight and good image. I also use a Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 (10" screen) 4 GB Ram/64 GB Storage, heavy but a bigger image, especially when flying FPV. The issue is they are WiFi only and I cannot get new maps when out in the field. I have to open the DJI Fly App and scroll over the location to download the street and satellite maps from home. This is only needed if I land out of sight or crash and I need to use "Find my Drone" With satellite maps loaded, you can tell which tree your drone is in… Now, if your phone has Hot Spotting (tethering) then a WiFi only tab could get it maps using your phone data. My phone does not support tethering…

Good Luck and go to sleep reading a good manual… BTW, I also have the user manual printed in my travel bag and loaded on the tablets.

Finally, go to the FAA Web Site to register your Drone and Get your TRUST Certificate

FAADroneZone
Thanks so much, I am looking at tablets and have ordered a landing pad. Great advice!

Thanks so much, I am looking at tablets and have ordered a landing pad. Great advice!

Here's a list compiled by pilots that use the various DJI apps.

It may help in the decision making.

I purchased the best tablet for flying drones.

The Tripltek series.

Have fun shopping.

Welcome to the forum mpcook . . . we love to hear this type of response. This is one of the VERY BEST run forums of any genre. Keep them spinners turning my man . . . !!

Yes thanks this is most helpful!

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama, welcome to the forum!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradl