DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing gear? Really necessary

sashby4

Reactions
I have both mavic 2 pro and zoom. I have the PolarPro landing gear for them. The one that folds nicely away. I like them and they work well. Bit is landing gear really necessary? I land on a hard surface usually and I have a landing pad when landing on grass. So I don’t really see the need for fancy landing gear?

Reactions: Thomas B
I have both mavic 2 pro and zoom. I have the PolarPro landing gear for them. The one that folds nicely away. I like them and they work well. Bit is landing gear really necessary? I land on a hard surface usually and I have a landing pad when landing on grass. So I don’t really see the need for fancy landing gear?
I also have the PolarPro Retract LG. Protects my 4 Firehouse ARC XLs. No add on is necessary. Also, not every flight ends at the original home-point. I like the greater ground clearance.

I also have the PolarPro Retract LG. Protects my 4 Firehouse ARC XLs. No add on is necessary. Also, not every flight ends at the original home-point. I like the greater ground clearance.

Providing clearance for a strobe on the bottom is a great reason in and of itself. While for collision avoidance a strobe on top is probably more visible from aircraft presumably above a drone, having one on the bottom really helps me keep an eye on what becomes nothing more than a spec in the sky... and (at least in my experience) extends VLOS. Besides, if you ever have to land in even short grass it will keep your props out of weed-whacker mode.

I have PGY leg extensions, but the front extenders have to come off for storage as they don't fold. Where did you buy the Polar pro extenders? Amazon had them listed at $22 plus $10.50 shipping. There has to be a less expensive source.

Reactions: sashby4
I'm using the same Polar Pro retracts on my Zoom and routinely take-off from grass and gravel. The extra height really does help to keep debris and dust from being ingested into the motors. I wouldn't take-off from the ground without them and like Thomas B said, not all my flights end up at the home point. I've seen no difference in flight performance, so not much reason not to have them.

Reactions: Thomas B
Providing clearance for a strobe on the bottom is a great reason in and of itself. While for collision avoidance a strobe on top is probably more visible from aircraft presumably above a drone, having one on the bottom really helps me keep an eye on what becomes nothing more than a spec in the sky... and (at least in my experience) extends VLOS. Besides, if you ever have to land in even short grass it will keep your props out of weed-whacker mode.

I have PGY leg extensions, but the front extenders have to come off for storage as they don't fold. Where did you buy the Polar pro extenders? Amazon had them listed at $22 plus $10.50 shipping. There has to be a less expensive source.
They are for the M2P... bought from PolarPro.
DA819A8E-DBF4-4D2D-A3E5-E0D5EE76A634.jpeg

Reactions: LoganAir
Well, for my MP I did get the gear.
It raises the MP a few cm from the ground and in this way you prevent the gimbal hitting a rock or piece of higher grass or something.
Also it prevents the fans sucking in some dust and sand into the interior.

You say you always land where you take off: I've been flying since 2017, not that very long, but I did get into some strange circumstances that the landing area was some distance from the take off point.
Never say never, right?
And better to be safe than sorry, with equipment worth more than 1500 Euros!

Just my opinion.

Ruud

I purchased landing gear extensions for the MM. Nice to have them in the bag for unforeseen conditions on launch & land.

The MM though is right on the bleeding edge, power to weight ratio-wise. So I've not used them very much at all, i.e. not once after testing them the day they arrived.

Reactions: sashby4

yes good points. I see. I got mine with the package I bought used from a guy. I looked on Amazon but they are not available in Canada right now. Only the USA and UK. Sucks. But I had the PSY ones as well and like the PolarPro much better for fit and finish. And you can keep them on when storing in a case or bag.

Well, for my MP I did get the gear.
It raises the MP a few cm from the ground and in this way you prevent the gimbal hitting a rock or piece of higher grass or something.
Also it prevents the fans sucking in some dust and sand into the interior.

You say you always land where you take off: I've been flying since 2017, not that very long, but I did get into some strange circumstances that the landing area was some distance from the take off point.
Never say never, right?
And better to be safe than sorry, with equipment worth more than 1500 Euros!

Just my opinion.

Ruud

yes very good point. Sold me I am using from now on.

I bought a used M2P that already had folding legs fitted.
I posted on another thread that after an accident I couldn't bend down to pick up my Mavic so I made a device that clips on a walking stick & slides underneath it, wouldn't be able to do that without the legs.
You can helpfully see the device in THIS THREAD

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
I purchased landing gear extensions for the MM. Nice to have them in the bag for unforeseen conditions on launch & land.

I use a circular folding landing pad for my Mini. Even in long grass, because the Mini is so light the pad just sits on top of the grass with the drone on it. It also prevents dust and debris from blowing up around the motors during takeoff and landing.

I went looking for a replacement set of the PolarPro's last week as the rubber straps on the back legs is getting weak and they will rotate. Seemed almost nobody here in the US has them in stock and PolarPro's Website isn't showing them any more. I think they might have discontinued them. It would be a shame as I have been waiting for them to make them for the MA2.

I went looking for a replacement set of the PolarPro's last week as the rubber straps on the back legs is getting weak and they will rotate. Seemed almost nobody here in the US has them in stock and PolarPro's Website isn't showing them any more. I think they might have discontinued them. It would be a shame as I have been waiting for them to make them for the MA2.
Yep... happens. I usually buy at least 2 of this type of item so I have a backup.

Lol, no. Hand launch/ catch and none of that stuff is required.

Use a landing pad and when you can’t just hand catch like mentioned above.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost