DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing in a boat

You’ve been given a lot of great advice. Learning how to hand catch should be in every pilots bag of tricks. I also ended up buying the ‘rescue jacket’ in case I have to land on the water in an emergency, makes water flights more enjoyable. I hand catch all my drones large or small when in a boat. Don’t use RTH either in case of signal loss unless the ‘home point’ is on nearby land, choose hover and go back for it.
Good luck

I had difficulty getting my mini 2 to land in the boat on Lake Ontario recently. Boat was anchored but drifting slightly. It was a challenge to get it to land. I don’t feel comfortable hand catching the drone. I took off from a recycle blue box which was small so I tried landing it on the boat’s metal floor. The floor was lower than the take off elevation by maybe two feet. I eventually got it down into the boat but it wasn’t fun. Any ideas why?
Put a pair of floats on it just incase!

Reactions: LoudThunder
I only suggest hand-catching/launching with the smaller drones. You have the Mini 2 so should be easy enough. I would not attempt hand-catching a larger drone. I too have almost lost a thumb trying to catch an Inspire 2
Here is a YT clip that shows a handle... A bit of an overkill..

There also used to be a clip on YT that showed a small tube that was attached to the drone that hung below for about a foot and could move freely. It showed how to easily grab the tube to catch the drone. Easy to make and attach with a velcro loop or string... Sadly I can't find the clip now...

Here is a YT clip that shows a handle... A bit of an overkill..

There also used to be a clip on YT that showed a small tube that was attached to the drone that hung below for about a foot and could move freely. It showed how to easily grab the tube to catch the drone. Easy to make and attach with a velcro loop or string... Sadly I can't find the clip now...
I would prefer the suggestion in Post #16 as to this.

Welcome to the forum. You will find all sorts of advice, experience and help with your goal of catching on a boat. We look forward to your participation and your view of the world.

This is the boat and the area I wanted to land on was a metal floor about 4 feet square.

Just an idea but it might work. 🤔

You might be able to build something light weight as a landing pad and attach it to the top of the boats roof with suction cups. A little more real estate up there. ;)

The pad could have walls on the sides to prevent the aircraft from sliding off after landing.

Maybe a large plastic serving tray / dish?

I did a quick search for suction cups and this / these may work for a strong secure grip.

Suction Cups.

Just sharing a thought.

Never flew from a boat but almost always catch buy hand. Just
stay focused. And be ready to abort at the last moment and go back up. Never panic. Practice as was said .I’m sure a wave might show up and you might freak. Always keep your mind on what’s going on. 👍 And never panic.

I had difficulty getting my mini 2 to land in the boat on Lake Ontario recently. Boat was anchored but drifting slightly. It was a challenge to get it to land. I don’t feel comfortable hand catching the drone. I took off from a recycle blue box which was small so I tried landing it on the boat’s metal floor. The floor was lower than the take off elevation by maybe two feet. I eventually got it down into the boat but it wasn’t fun. Any ideas why?
I've landed my Mavic 2s and Mavic 3 in our boat dozens of times, but only by hand catching. I also recommend getting comfortable with it. Get familiar with hovering just in front of you, reach out, grab it (watching out for props), and execute CSC.

Reactions: MJ1952
I learned the hard way not to try landing on the small fibreglass deck of a boat.

While landing my Phantom 3S on the stern deck of my 16’ Seadoo powerboat, I got it all squared up and settled nicely on the deck. As it sat there with the props still spinning, however, the boat just drifted out from under it. Plop, into the drink.

During that short period while the props are still turning they will continue to hold the drone in place by way of GPS, not relative to a moving landing surface. The landing gear was in contact with the deck but the props still held enough weight to allow it to slide. I should have kept my hands on the sticks as it went, instead of lunging for it.

Reactions: pnovotny and MJ1952
What is CSC?
Combination Stick Command. This video might help

I agree with MA2 317 that it would be difficult to do while holding a drone, it's easier just to hold the left stick down to kill the motors while holding it.

Last edited:
Reactions: MA2 317
What is CSC?

Do you use the sticks to start the motors, both down and to the center?

That's the CSC (Combination Stick Command) and is used for emergencies during flight.

Check the settings in the app for options.

It would be difficult to do while holding a drone, it's easier just to hold the left stick down to kill the motors while holding it.

Metal can definitely interfere. The vibration from a running motor can also cause interference. I’ve launched/landed from a small boat many many times with a Mavic 2 Pro, Mini 2, and Parrot Anafi. While launching can usually be done by taking off from the boat platform, hand catching is definitely the way to go for landing. Wear leather gloves while practicing. Also, make sure RTH is off or set to return to the RC or pilot if possible.

On a lake with low/no wide and no current you can land on the boat. If you have a drift due to wind of if you are on saltwater with a tide/current running you will always want to hand catch the drone, especially on a boat with a small landing zone/area. It also helps to have someone at the helm you can direct to keep the boat 'neutral' compensating for the drift so the catch will be easy and not a moving target to grab. I would say 50% of my flights are from my boat. As said above, if helps to practice on dry land first. Get comfortable reaching out and grabbing before trying on the water. Also sport mode kills the sensors so it is easier to catch as well....but remember that also increased the 'sensitivity' of the sticks to even a small motion moves the drove rather quickly.

I’ve launched/landed from boats, with hand catch, but it’s not really a do/don’t thing, it’s highly condition dependent. If the boat is not drifting or under way, and the wind is calm, its easy. If you change any of the above, add boat movement, or wind, you have a multi-dimensional problem you most likely shouldn’t allow yourself to be in.

My last mission from a boat included two launches and one hand catch. The second hand catch was aborted due to increased wind, which results in more boat movement, and ultimately over complicates the entire situation. I let the drone hover and returned the boat to the dock, then brought the drone in for a simple dock landing. Of course I didn’t even launch without a full battery, and ended the mission with plenty of reserve.

Most of this is about correctly assesing the conditions before getting involved in them, and leaving yourself options. In my case, the first flight was not in the wind, the second was, but I knew before launch I had the option to return to the dock, so the mission was accomplished.

I hand catch a Mini 3p and an Air 2S often, but not always. Again, assess conditions first, leave yourself options, and practice to gain confidence. Once you commit to a flight without optimal conditions, or without options, you’re also accepting the risk of crash or loss. If that’s not acceptable, wait for better conditions, which could mean no flights for days in some cases.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest