DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing Pad Night Lights

Captain Spock

Reactions
I have a standard daytime landing pad that does not have integrated lights. I'd appreciate recommendations on how best to illuminate the landing pad for night landings.

@Captain Spock if your drone has a downwards facing landing light then just switch that on ,or put it on automatic if it has that setting ,and it will illuminate the landing pad when it reaches the height that the downwards sensors use
or without a fitted light then get some bright white LEDs and place them around the landing pad, there are several different sorts, either individual one or those on a flexible strip ,they draw very little current, and only require a couple of AA batteries to power them

I have a standard daytime landing pad that does not have integrated lights. I'd appreciate recommendations on how best to illuminate the landing pad for night landings.

As mentioned by old man mavic , depending on what you're flying, it should have a "landing light".

If it doesn't, a simple flashlight or worklight shining on the landing area should suffice.

Story time...

I had an exciting 30 second flight with my Spark a long time ago at night due to poor illumination of the launch / land area

After that, I hand launched and landed on the ground with a flashlight with no problems.

The bottom visual sensors need light to see the ground to land safely.

If you need a lighted landing pad, it's holiday times now and you could purchase a battery operated string of lights to wrap around a pad. 🤔

Good luck with your night flights.

@MA2 317 Thanks! Good idea on cheap holiday lights

Reactions: MA2 317
Sometimes when landing in the dark the underbody light is so bright the drone will not land.Iturn off the light and it lands fine.Or I turn it off and illuminate it with my phone flashlight.M2P

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Sometimes when landing in the dark the underbody light is so bright the drone will not land.Iturn off the light and it lands fine.Or I turn it off and illuminate it with my phone flashlight.M2P
I have a reflector for the bottom light of the M2P it sends a fair bit of the 'beam' forwards..........it is a BAD IDEA to catch tha beam with your eyes at night when the drone is reasonably close lol.

Reactions: R.Cowan
I am fortunate that I live in rural Colorado. We have some acres and I can pretty much fly when and where I want. Sunsets are stunning here and I like to launch right after sun down to capture the beauty. I decided to make a dedicated launch pad, so I started with a 4' x 4' plywood base, recessed LED's and a Bluetooth module I bought online. Painted it fire engine red and sealed it with epoxy resin. I control the LED's from the software I side loaded on my controllers...works really well.
1670365567722.jpeg
1670365527888.jpeg

I decided to make a dedicated launch pad, so I started with a 4' x 4' plywood base, recessed LED's and a Bluetooth module I bought online. Painted it fire engine red and sealed it with epoxy resin. I control the LED's from the software I side loaded on my controllers...works really well.

Too cool. 👍

Thanks for sharing. 🙂

I am fortunate that I live in rural Colorado. We have some acres and I can pretty much fly when and where I want. Sunsets are stunning here and I like to launch right after sun down to capture the beauty. I decided to make a dedicated launch pad, so I started with a 4' x 4' plywood base, recessed LED's and a Bluetooth module I bought online. Painted it fire engine red and sealed it with epoxy resin. I control the LED's from the software I side loaded on my controllers...works really well.
View attachment 157975
View attachment 157974
@HDrone: impressive work. TY4 feedback

View attachment 157975
View attachment 157974

Well . . . I have this rear bike light on my bike and it is bright, has several modes, and works great. I was thinking of getting 4 (cheap) and attach them to the N-S-E-W positions on my non-illuminated pad. Whaddya all think?

Reactions: Gary_Seven
Sounds just fine. The accouterments may not be necessary but if it helps with your enjoyment of the sport, I think you should try it out. Hell., on the bookcase where the drones are parked. I have toy figures of airport personnel from the Playmobil airplane set i found on ebay.

Playmobil.JPG

Sounds just fine. The accouterments may not be necessary but if it helps with your enjoyment of the sport, I think you should try it out. Hell., on the bookcase where the drones are parked. I have toy figures of airport personnel from the Playmobil airplane set i found on ebay.

View attachment 157985@waltermitty: TY. Looks like a happy crew. p.s. "pocketa, pocketa, pocketa"

Don't forget to add $!0 string of LED pixie lights in sequential mode to replicate approach lights. You can 'chase the rabbit' to the landing pad. :)

How cool would that be ! My Bluetooth module has 4 channels and I’m using 2 now..

View attachment 157974
That night time landing pad looks amazing.
It almost looks like augmented reality seeing that in the dark on a screen... LED lighting is so under rated when you see this flying home... +1

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78