DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing Pad Night Lights

An oldie but a goodie, I think, there are better shots of the landing lights further in so don't give uo too quickly lol

Someone once told me that they use a strobe on their body or landing pad during night flights for identification of the homepoint.

I'm not sure I understand the benefits of this but as someone previously pointed out here, there are lighted landing pads available.

Can anyone add their perspective on this?

One useful feature. e.g. using two strobes/lights or LED string is to identify prevailing winds at the landing zone. As a fixed wing pilot. I'm always looking for a windsock to show me the wind direction

What do you need the light for? During both day and night flights I'm rarely able to see my M3P even before it gets to a 100 meters away for me. So, for landing, I always bring the drone back to me using the compass and/or the map. Once its above me - sometimes I can hear it, other times I can't, but I know it's right above me. So as I lower it, I can then hear it, and at that point, the two green flashing lights are also visible. Unless I'm perfectly sure the landing surface is safe, I'll usually land it on my palm.

I am fortunate that I live in rural Colorado. We have some acres and I can pretty much fly when and where I want. Sunsets are stunning here and I like to launch right after sun down to capture the beauty. I decided to make a dedicated launch pad, so I started with a 4' x 4' plywood base, recessed LED's and a Bluetooth module I bought online. Painted it fire engine red and sealed it with epoxy resin. I control the LED's from the software I side loaded on my controllers...works really well.
View attachment 157975
View attachment 157974
Many locations I fly from are in the "wild", so to speak. Tall grass, rough surface of rocks and gravel, etc. I mounted my 4x4 pad on a small 2-wheeled utility trailer that I can tow behind my Kawasaki Mule or Ford pickup so I always have a good place from which to launch and recover.
Side benefit - I don't have to bend over to pickup the aircraft from the ground. Don't laugh, Virginia. When you get to be 79 and have had your back cut on once too many times you will understand.
Stay Safe!

So VLOS is only a recommendation?
Not by law. However, either than Steve Austin ;) , I believe the average human being is unable to see that little drone once it is 40-50 meters away. So, VLOS is a tricky requirement...
Still yet, this is the law, so for the sake of this conversation: I deploy an observer whenever I'm unable to maintain a VLOS myself.

the average human being is unable to see that little drone once it is 40-50 meters away
You're right, which is why I recommend day time strobes.

I'm able to spot my mavic past 400 meters with the Firehouse Arc V.

VLOS is super important safety wise.

You're right, which is why I recommend day time strobes.

I'm able to spot my mavic past 400 meters with the Firehouse Arc V.

VLOS is super important safety wise.
I use ViFly, but mainly for night flight, and I have it installed on the "upper deck" of the drone, as I want aircrafts flying above to see it. Ironically, it's easy to "see" the drone from the ground at night time, as the flashing green lights are clearly visible from quite afar.
I'll test your idea and fir another one on the "lower deck", and see if it helps seeing it at daytime. I doubt it, but I'll test it.

This is the drone as seen from a distance of ~100 meters away. As the ambient light gets low, the flashing green is clearly spotted.

Attachments

• 20221212_172938.jpg
    20221212_172938.jpg
    964.7 KB · Views: 2
I use ViFly, but mainly for night flight, and I have it installed on the "upper deck" of the drone, as I want aircrafts flying above to see it. Ironically, it's easy to "see" the drone from the ground at night time, as the flashing green lights are clearly visible from quite afar.
I'll test your idea and fir another one on the "lower deck", and see if it helps seeing it at daytime. I doubt it, but I'll test it.

This is the drone as seen from a distance of ~100 meters away. As the ambient light gets low, the flashing green is clearly spotted.
I have ViFky on both arms for orientation, one red & the other green, plus the Arc V on the battery, during daylight, facing towards the back of the drone and at night either facing upwards or 2 strobes (with different pattern flashes to distinguish between them) one facing backwards and the other forward.

Works very well.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots