DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing Pad.. Won't auto land?

Maybe I will try my less mobile and heavier landing pad that I made out of leftover particle board. I made this for my Phantom 3 Professional. I just thought it would be nice to have a more mobile and light landing area, which of course still works, but I just won't be able to show off the auto and precise landing feature of the Mavic.IMG_1218.JPG

Just drop the legs off it for Mavic use for the auto landings

For those of you still having issues with the Mavic not wanting to land on your landing pad, did you already try the suggestion to disable Landing Protection?

@schroeder1959 @Insideout

For those of you still having issues with the Mavic not wanting to land on your landing pad, did you already try the suggestion to disable Landing Protection?

@schroeder1959 @Insideout
Yes, I tried that, and I got the exact same result with one difference, instead of stopping and hovering around 10 feet, it stopped and hovered around 5 feet.

It really isn't that big of a deal, all I have to do is pull back on the left control, and it comes straight down and lands almost exactly where it took off from, but I really wanted to impress my friends with the precise landing feature of the Mavic.

I think it just needs to be pegged down securely so it's not flapping in the breeze and detected as an unsafe place to land.

Reactions: J-Dog
I think it just needs to be pegged down securely so it's not flapping in the breeze and detected as an unsafe place to land.
It wasn't flapping, there was no wind, and the Mavic never even got close enough for the landing pad to move. That being said, my new landing pad arrived, (3 Ft Diameter Drone Launch Pad - HDLP3 in Launch Pad) and I tried it on my driveway, and it still didn't land, I got the same error, Ground Not Suitable for Landing. I then put the new landing pad in the grass, and tried the precise landing again, and it worked perfectly. I am not sure what the Mavic has about my concrete driveway, but is sure doesn't like to land by itself on or near it.

Okay, I have the exact same issue and behavior with my Mavic when I am trying to do a precise landing. I have contacted DJI and they seem to think it's my landing pad. This is what they said... "Did you try to land your Mavic Pro without landing pad and how it works? however if you successfully landing your Mavic Pro without landing pad maybe the sensor of your Mavic not recognize the Landing Pad." I am adding a photo of my landing pad on the concrete in my driveway. You can actually see the shadow of the Mavic as it is hovering directly above the landing pad. I notified DJI that others are having the same exact issue, I hope to find out more soon. I follow the correct procedure for take off, I just get the message at about 10 feet that the ground is not suitable for landing. I guess I will have to use a piece of chalk, draw and X, and see if that works. If anyone has a fix for this, please let me know! By the way, the other side of this landing pad has an orange version, and that didn't work either!

Thank you!
Mike

View attachment 10954

It's very odd that all Mavics are not created equal. I have the exact same landing pad as you, and I have a 100% success rate with precision landings. It comes in every time, even when it's blowing a gale. However, my sister in Devon also owns a Mavic and has the same landing pad. Her Mavic has refused to land on it every time. Blue side up, or orange. It makes no difference. A 0% success rate. It stops at about 3 feet or so, and starts whining about it being an unsuitable place to land. Has anyone tried calibrating the VPS sensors? I might try this with my sister's Mavic when I next see her.

Hmm, my Mavic has taken to not liking landing on well mown grass like on the airfield strip itself. Its fine in my garden, or other grass. Weird or what. Not a problem though.

I have a bright yellow landing pad and my mavic does the exact same. RTH stops 3 ft from pad and hovers. I took off from the grass and problem solved. Gonna try reverse side tomorrow. (Mostly black with a little yellow)

Hi
schroeder1959 have the same one as you and my Mavic lands every time?
I whatched it carefully and it even manovers to the center of the pad as it lands!

Tried both sides Blue on Beach and Orange on grass and worked OK?

did stop about two feet above for a few seconds then proceeded to land.

Hello, I use as a base for landing the children's foam carpet, with a bright color to facilitate its recognition. I have made more than 20 test landings without any problem. It is quite light and removable.

61zEMWjGFCL._SX425_.jpg

When we first started flying our Mavic Pro, we had this problem. In our case, it was simple once I figured it out. We were using a round table about 3 feet tall with a cross on it made from black tape. The MP figured out that it was trying to land on a surface that had a drop off on every side and it wisely wouldn't go for that.

I took the legs off the table, put the table top flat on the ground and it landed every time. Same table top, same cross.

Now I wonder; how does it figure that out? By using the downlooking cameras or the sonar sensor? I ask because I wonder if there is some optical illusion about that driveway that makes the cameras think it's a dangerous uneven surface?

Since that time, I have precision landed on a home-made landing pad, and both sides of a purchased "H" landing pad. It never fails now. But it still won't buy that table landing.:)

I just use a car foot mat. Lands perfectly. I normally u se the precsion landing tick box when taking of. Fly a lot using drone harmony. Usually set to hover at end of mision so i can make sure no one is too close when landing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin