DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing pad

My 1st time trying to hand catch!o_O
A lot of members prefer to hand catch rather than land. It’s down to personal preference I suppose;)
I’ve been there! They are like paper cuts and hurt like hell.

I think it’s a perfect size too, I do have a bit of a nightmare folding it up, especially when it just starts raining, sods law...;);)

Yes, the metal hoop is much tougher to "fold" than the ones in my windshield sun protectors. Those loop immediately.

My 80cm landing pad. Metal ring has 0.35 inch width. Twist to figure 8 to fold. Works every time.

Attachments

• 00F284B7-DA07-4A9E-8B1F-68AC0E1E32E0.jpeg
    00F284B7-DA07-4A9E-8B1F-68AC0E1E32E0.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 47
  • EB6FBB96-9DF0-485F-956C-606F1A5360E5.jpeg
    EB6FBB96-9DF0-485F-956C-606F1A5360E5.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 51
Reactions: Porky
This is a little off your original question of size, but I just made this helipad for launching from our back deck. It can collapse down to stand in the corner. It measures 2x3 ft and mounts on the railing. It's necessary because the deck is covered and takeoff can be somewhat unpredictable. Also there is no noticeable compass interference 3 ft away from the railing. Hinges and screws are aluminum.
I prefer this location because it gives me better range and visibility that down below. Plus it's a great spot when there is snow in the grass.
I also put a similar size pad in the grass below beyond the trees. I set a couple of flat concrete roof tiles in the ground for that one.
I still usually hand catch to avoid chopping weeds. I've been doing it for years with no accidents to date. (I don't fly when it's windy.)
Pad.jpg

Here's my favorite ... PGYTECH ... solid, big, folds nicely, doesn't blow away.

Thanks for this ... I'd tried a circular metal-hooped one and on the third fold the weld broke and the two ends sprung apart -- one cutting my hand and the other gashing my eyebrow less than an inch from my eye. I'll never try one of those again. But the square one looks excellent!

Happen to know if anyone does something similar but with traditional airfield 'T' instead of the 'H'? I've found that the Mavic orients itself better to the T (as well as reminding me to note the wind direction and take off into the wind).

Folding - hold vertcally in front, one thumb to the fron, one thumb to the rear, twist into figure of eight and push hands together. Same technique as folding bandsaw blades.

Folding - hold vertcally in front, one thumb to the fron, one thumb to the rear, twist into figure of eight and push hands together. Same technique as folding bandsaw blades.

Except that bandsaw blades don't usually become unwelded when folding ...

Thanks for this ... I'd tried a circular metal-hooped one and on the third fold the weld broke and the two ends sprung apart -- one cutting my hand and the other gashing my eyebrow less than an inch from my eye. I'll never try one of those again. But the square one looks excellent!

Happen to know if anyone does something similar but with traditional airfield 'T' instead of the 'H'? I've found that the Mavic orients itself better to the T (as well as reminding me to note the wind direction and take off into the wind).
Great for manual landings not so much for precision landings. One or more legs are off the pad.

Great for manual landings not so much for precision landings. One or more legs are off the pad.

Note quite sure what you are referring to, here .. the 50cm x 50cm square pad? If so, I'm surprised -- my current pad is 31cm x 31cm and for that, yes, one or two legs are usually off the pad. But almost never by more than 3-4cm .. so for 50x50 I'd be surprised if a landing was off-pad unless in very gusty conditions?

I run a 22" landing pad. Its a bit tricky in high wind but 22" vs 30" is so much easier to store when your bag space is at a premium.

Note quite sure what you are referring to, here .. the 50cm x 50cm square pad? If so, I'm surprised -- my current pad is 31cm x 31cm and for that, yes, one or two legs are usually off the pad. But almost never by more than 3-4cm .. so for 50x50 I'd be surprised if a landing was off-pad unless in very gusty conditions?
Sorry, was referring to the pgytech landing pad.

Reactions: mfc
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ