DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing protection off and downward obstacle avoidance

ebrandon

Reactions
I've turned Landing Protection off because I want the option of landing on my hand if the ground is unsuitable.

My question is: Does turning off Landing Protection also essentially turn off Downward Obstacle Avoidance?

When I'm descending into an obstacle, how does the drone "know" I'm about to hit an obstacle and that it should stop, vs. I'm about to "land" on the obstacle and it should keep going because Landing Protection is off?

I've turned Landing Protection off because I want the option of landing on my hand if the ground is unsuitable.

My question is: Does turning off Landing Protection also essentially turn off Downward Obstacle Avoidance?

When I'm descending into an obstacle, how does the drone "know" I'm about to hit an obstacle and that it should stop, vs. I'm about to "land" on the obstacle and it should keep going because Landing Protection is off?
When you turn off the landing protection it will turn of the downward obstacle avoidance.

There is no "downwards obstacle avoidance" per se. LP might kinda have that effect but it's not really meant for it.

I thought landing protection was so it could avoid landing on uneven terrain. But experience tells me it doesn’t seem to do that.
If I don’t want to land on the ground, I bring my Mavic down to eye level. Then turn off LP. Reach out and light hold from the bottom with right hand, move left joystick on RC down until motors stopped. Then turn LP on.

The landing protection option is kind of confusing. Well to me it is. What does it actually turn off?
I have the option turned off in the settings but I still sometimes get warnings the ground is unsuitable for landing when RTH landing.
As far as I can tell, there is no way you can turn off the protection for landing on unsuitable ground when auto landing.

It looks like the landing protection on or off option only protects you from accidently landing or hitting the ground if its on. It stops and gives you a warning that you are going to land, but its got nothing to do with scanning the terrain.

When you come manually when it's on the aircraft will stop above ground and initiate an automatic landing (i.e. scan the ground too at that point) when you keep the stick down, while when it's off you get a normal manual landing i.e. keep full control all the way.

It's possible it's always active on an automatic landing that was initiated earlier e.g. because of an RTH or forced landing, would make sense.

You don't actually have to turn it off at all. Just hold your hand out, and keep the left stick down. As the AIr comes into land, it will pause for a second or two around 2 feet above your hand, then land perfectly.. Keep your hand flat and don't try to grab it; it will descend straight into your open hand.

Jump straght to 2:00 on this video to see exactly what I mean...
Cheers,
Ian

You don't actually have to turn it off at all. Just hold your hand out, and keep the left stick down. As the AIr comes into land, it will pause for a second or two around 2 feet above your hand, then land perfectly.. Keep your hand flat and don't try to grab it; it will descend straight into your open hand.

Jump straght to 2:00 on this video to see exactly what I mean...
Cheers,
Ian

Agreed - this is how I mostly land.

Reactions: ronbo
I consider this significantly more dangerous than manual since you have no control, there's a possibility it goes awry if there's a sensor glitch, and you can't cancel once it's started.
I.e. not doing that.

When you come manually when it's on the aircraft will stop above ground and initiate an automatic landing (i.e. scan the ground too at that point) when you keep the stick down, while when it's off you get a normal manual landing i.e. keep full control all the way.

I don't think there is any ground scanning (for suitable terrain) done in that auto landing situation.
That means that the landing protection "option" is a totally separate and different thing to whether or not you want the Mavic to scan the terrain for suitable landing. (what people also refer to as landing protection) You can't turn that off.

The landing protection option on, only "protects" you from hitting the ground unintentionally. In other words, if you get close to the ground it will stop descending and let you know you are about to land, (if you hold the stick down) then does it for you.

Even though the terrain scanning protects you from auto landing on something uneven, it's NOT the same landing protection as referred to in the option. It has nothing to do with it. It should be called terrain scan or something other than landing protection.

Last edited:
I thought landing protection was so it could avoid landing on uneven terrain

I am a newbie and I was extremely lucky last weekend. Our backyard, 5' tall solid fence, one story house, 30' away is an 17' tall shed. Outside the shed is a motorcycle trailer, a park bench is a few foot away and my car in the remaining space. Net, about a 10'x8' clear area in the middle. Winds were 23 according to weather bug and gust 30 - 35. I wanted to see how the MPP handled these winds. Took off and hovered about 3', bird was getting bounced around but "systems" doing a great job. Decided to take it up to about 30' and clear trees and buildings. Really getting bounced around but again, systems doing their job. field is down wind if things go south.

OK, will it hold at 100'. Things started to get really bouncy in the strong gusts. Decided to bring it back down on RTH and it started down. Doing great until about 6'-10' and it must have seen the trailer and bench and stopped. Got a message something about unsuitable landing. I took control and moved it to the center of the "clear" area and set it down. I learned a lot about the MPP at no expense.

I would not fly in these conditions but seeing how the bird handled the extreme gusts it is amazing what well programmed toys / tools can do. Moved the car out of the way and made a couple more ventures. I used sport mode and flew into the wind, I made progress but I would hate to be a klick away and getting around to 30% battery.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25