DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing / recovering UAV at speed on a ship

My question is Why? Just stop the ship. it is already going to be a little hard, even while the ship is stopped, because of water. (GPS) It is not like you are at war or attacking something.
But anyway, I still would like to see the videos after your mission.

I built a custom landing pad for my drones, it is six inches off the ground, pretty large pad...but in a windy conditions my drones do rock a little while I trying to land them on it. I have had several incidents and busted up a few blades, in windy conditions.

good luck!
Good day,

I'm a captain on a 110 meters (360 feet) long ship. The vessel is 20.70 meters ( 68 feet ) wide and has a nice open deck the size of an aircraft carrier.

Im using my drone often making spectaculair footage at sea around the world. But this is always done with the vessel stopped. Now Im studying the possibility of shooting my vessel in full motion. She does 15 knots which is about 28 km/h at full speed. Im experienced enough in drone flying to know it's possible. Especially on such a large vessel. But I have a few unanswered questions which I cant solve by reading other threads.

1/ If I match the speed of my vessels 15 knots and come in for a landing the drone is tilted forward. Im afraid the propellors might start scraping the deck or cause problems when landing. Any experience on this matter?
2/ If I stop pushing forward on the controls the drone probably goes in hover mode keeping GPS position. ( Vision systems all off ). This is probably a big problem for safe landing. So are there people who have experience landing on a relatively fast moving object.
3/ Handcatching the drone...(Using leather welders gloves :) ). Can i power down the motors whilst keeping forward speed on the right stick? I can imagine if I only power down, the drone will try to hold GPS position and will try to escape from the catching hand for a few seconds. The drone is very powerfull so this might be a risk. So what happens during these few seconds you power off the motors whil holding it in a hand AND moving at 15 knots....
4/ What happens if the Software fails during flight. Go4 app or Litchi. Do I still have the controls or will disaster strike?

Anyone who has good experience with this very particular technique of landing a drone on a relatively fast moving object please share your tips and tricks. I really like to be well prepared before I risk ditching a huge investment into the ocean.

Brgds,
Dennis
j
Good day,

I'm a captain on a 110 meters (360 feet) long ship. The vessel is 20.70 meters ( 68 feet ) wide and has a nice open deck the size of an aircraft carrier.

Im using my drone often making spectaculair footage at sea around the world. But this is always done with the vessel stopped. Now Im studying the possibility of shooting my vessel in full motion. She does 15 knots which is about 28 km/h at full speed. Im experienced enough in drone flying to know it's possible. Especially on such a large vessel. But I have a few unanswered questions which I cant solve by reading other threads.

1/ If I match the speed of my vessels 15 knots and come in for a landing the drone is tilted forward. Im afraid the propellors might start scraping the deck or cause problems when landing. Any experience on this matter?
2/ If I stop pushing forward on the controls the drone probably goes in hover mode keeping GPS position. ( Vision systems all off ). This is probably a big problem for safe landing. So are there people who have experience landing on a relatively fast moving object.
3/ Handcatching the drone...(Using leather welders gloves :) ). Can i power down the motors whilst keeping forward speed on the right stick? I can imagine if I only power down, the drone will try to hold GPS position and will try to escape from the catching hand for a few seconds. The drone is very powerfull so this might be a risk. So what happens during these few seconds you power off the motors whil holding it in a hand AND moving at 15 knots....
4/ What happens if the Software fails during flight. Go4 app or Litchi. Do I still have the controls or will disaster strike?

Anyone who has good experience with this very particular technique of landing a drone on a relatively fast moving object please share your tips and tricks. I really like to be well prepared before I risk ditching a huge investment into the ocean.

Brgds,
Dennis

Check out the Volvo Ocean Race You Tube videos. I saw a phantom being hand caught from the stern of a boat under full sail in rough water. So it can be done.

Yes
That will work.
But there is one issue with me with that,
They are using racing drones, design to break a part and to be fix with all means cheaper and fast.
I own a mavic pro 2 and a 3dr solo, I do not want to fly either of my drones into a net.

My question is Why? Just stop the ship. it is already going to be a little hard, even while the ship is stopped, because of water. (GPS) It is not like you are at war or attacking something.
But anyway, I still would like to see the videos after your mission.

I built a custom landing pad for my drones, it is six inches off the ground, pretty large pad...but in a windy conditions my drones do rock a little while I trying to land them on it. I have had several incidents and busted up a few blades, in windy conditions.

good luck!

Stopping a ship of that size or even tightly turning is not an easy thing to do without involving significant amounts of real estate and/or time.

Nelson

I am a relative newbie wrt drones, but how wold you handle adequate compass calibration when flying off of a steel deck/structure?

Nelson

At 28 knots I’d think there would be some pretty good headwinds if you are landing on the foredeck, which the drone will be tilted forward quite a bit. But if there is a suitable deck aft of the bridge or other parts of the ship, when the drone drops in behind the draft from them, it will probably change speeds very quickly and be unstable at first, but it won’t be tipped forward as much as on the windy foredeck.

Also curious about if the compass has been affected by the ship at all, has that been any issue?

Good day,

Brgds,
Dennis
Watch this video for at least inspiration.
It can be done.

Reactions: supernicko
Lots of really good suggestions here, here's one more,have you ever watched the DRL,(drone racing league)make a big catch net and just fly it right in to it.
Good luck

All I can add to this conversation, as a helicopter pilot (now drone pilot) that used to land on small moving ships (tuna boats on the Pacific) moving at 15 knots, or more, is that you don't want to hesitate while in the landing process. Keep your flight path and speed steady and smooth and once a decision is made to land, do not hesitate! If you hesitate things will go nuts and you will have to abort landing and try again.

Your concern about boat speed is not important, after all, the wind on landing on a fixed pad can easily be 15 knots which presents little, or no problem. Additionally, the wind created by the motion of the boat is steady and predictable.

The key is steady smooth motion toward landing with no balks. Keep the motion going right to the landing point and if you don't like what you see at some point, abort immediately, but do not balk.

I am a relative newbie wrt drones, but how wold you handle adequate compass calibration when flying off of a steel deck/structure?
You wouldn't calibrate the compass on a steel ship .... but why would you want to calibrate the compass anyway?

Stopping a ship of that size or even tightly turning is not an easy thing to do without involving significant amounts of real estate and/or time.

Nelson
I understand, I have been on aircraft carriers and cruise ships.

Last edited:
Good day,

Brgds,
Dennis
You should be able to hand catch it and then throttle down GOOD FIRM hold on the drone from the bottom PRACTICE is the key

I agree

Good day,

Brgds,
Dennis
I seriously doubt it would be worth the risk! I imagine you are getting some level of salt spray, a known corrosive. Don't do it!

Good day,

…..

Brgds,
Dennis

REMOVE GPS - Use the Vision system for Landing

I don't remember seeing which drone it was... (a Phantom, Mavic, Air... )
… but at 15knots (30km/hr) it would need a drone to be capable of that speed, or sustaining a wind of that speed..

The issue here is GPS - Flying the drone around the moving ship - is Most Likely to be a Line of site thing... alternatively a Camera (on drone FPV) to pinpoint direction.
… Having said this - (and with the built in software that makes it difficult to JUST select ATTI), disabling the GPS - is the Best Option for the Moving Ship-
(there are ways using Metal coverings on your drone over the GPS - search)
SEE Link: How To Put Your Mavic Pro into ATTI Mode Using Tinfoil - YouTube

On the Mavic 2's (for sure) the Landing using VISION option (within about 10m of the surface) - is automatically activated (in ATTI - without Possibility of GPS) - and a Precision landing can be accomplished. (The downward sensors do this photographically)

Without GPS Reception: Much the same as Flying Indoors -
The Ship's forward Movement will act no more or less like a 30 km/h wind - which is sustainable even though it is at the upper end of the limitation of Mavic 2's.

Other Method: ATTI mode can be invoked (GPS disabled) by changing the parameters using an old Assistant 2 on a PC - and can alter the SPORT mode/P mode/Tripod Mode - to use ATTI as a replacement for one of those. (Or the Method of covering the GPS as said above)
see ink: Mavic 2 Atti mode or see Link query: assistant 2 atti switch

There were Hyperthetical questions Previously asked about flying a drone INSIDE a Moving cargo carriage of a Train - and it was tested that the flight is NORMAL - without GPS activated.
Link: See Link: Fun Theoretical Train Qu

So my recommendation is (as someone has said already) Disable GPS and Fly in ATTI - if and Only if a) the drone is capable of 30km/hr + possible additional headwinds- and ...
b) if ur a Great Pilot - those speeds can quickly lose your drone
c) I would suggest FPV Flying with goggles - to Maintain direction

Some addition Dialogue on Experiences with this challenge can be found here (Some of them really funny - Some NOT ) See Link: Search results for query: landing on a Moving ship

Be advised: Flying in ATTI mode requires:
*Great Pilot skills- FLying in Wind or Keeping up with the Boat - will require MORE forward left stick - in the direction of Boat travel- Its not for the Fint Hearted or Rookie Pilot.
* Braking of the drone often is disabled-
* will void a RTH command in some instances (as GPS co-ordinates are no longer available)
* may switch off VISION for Landings - ie Downward sensors on some drones may be disabled (so check)
*You need downward sensors working to ensure MAVIC Operation- If not a mavic then Check.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Reactions: crlmjohnson
I don't remember seeing which drone it was... (a Phantom, Mavic, Air... )
… but at 15knots (30km/hr) it would need a drone to be capable of that speed, or sustaining a wind of that speed.
All Mavics and Phantoms can easily manage 15 knots in still air and still have plenty more speed available.

Switching to atti mode might be useful for launching but you would want to be flying in P-GPS mode.
This boat is making 20 knots and I was easily flying around it.
DJI_0494c-X2.jpg

why not start at half speed or quarter speed and work your way up :) Like others have mentioned, please post a video of when you do it :D would be fun to see!

Definitely use a machine that can be switched to ATTI mode for takeoff and landing. GPS mode will be a nightmare.

Have you considered the possible affects of thousands of tons (?) of metal could have on your compass etc? I know you've tried it while stationary, but not something I would consider!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman