DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing

MAGA

Reactions
Sounds simple but this is one area I have some difficulty doing well. In tight spaces roughly 15× 15 feet in not ideal locations landing my Mel. Getting it to land I have been pressing the land button for better control return to home seems more problematic when landing around trees what's the best way to take control for the last 60 seconds of flight?

the best way to land is with you in control, do you use a landing, take off mat ,if so find a nice open space away from trees and people ,and practice manual landing on the mat ,bring it down to chest height and it is easier to control if you face it away from you ,then left is left and right is right ,and forwards and back are the same ,practice getting it over the mat and come down till it stops it will then hover till you put full down stick on the throttle and then will land ,it takes quite a bit of practice to get it right if its windy but it is very satisfying when you hit the center of the mat after a while you will get comfortable with it and it will become second nature to you, as far as RTH is concerned just let it start to descend and then cancel RTH and land it yourself, you should not be taking off very close to trees, as trees and drones do not play well together, always consider wind direction,and your surroundings before you descide to fly,

As a new drone owner and now 2 flights under my belt... I quickly learned to use the RTH feature, but cancel it about 30’ above the landing pad, and take over using the controller.

the best way to land is with you in control, do you use a landing, take off mat ,if so find a nice open space away from trees and people ,and practice manual landing on the mat ,bring it down to chest height and it is easier to control if you face it away from you ,then left is left and right is right ,and forwards and back are the same ,practice getting it over the mat and come down till it stops it will then hover till you put full down stick on the throttle and then will land ,it takes quite a bit of practice to get it right if its windy but it is very satisfying when you hit the center of the mat after a while you will get comfortable with it and it will become second nature to you, as far as RTH is concerned just let it start to descend and then cancel RTH and land it yourself, you should not be taking off very close to trees, as trees and drones do not play well together, always consider wind direction,and your surroundings before you descide to fly,
Hi. And thanks.I've tried the the stick down many times but it just hovers. OA kicks in .I will read the manual again

I must be lazy - I RTH all the way home 9/10 and let her land herself and then marvel at how she’s touched down within a centimetre of her take-off position.

The only time I don’t auto land is when there is a particular reason not to. For example the other day I had taken off close to some overhead wires (no choice) and then up through the forest canopy. I did that one myself. And occasionally just to keep the practice in I’ll land for the fun of it.

For what reason do others think landing yourself is the best way?

I must be lazy - I RTH all the way home 9/10 and let her land herself and then marvel at how she’s touched down within a centimetre of her take-off position.

The only time I don’t auto land is when there is a particular reason not to. For example the other day I had taken off close to some overhead wires (no choice) and then up through the forest canopy. I did that one myself. And occasionally just to keep the practice in I’ll land for the fun of it.

For what reason do others think landing yourself is the best way?
Awesome

For me the RTH button is only a last resort. To become a better drone pilot, you should always bring your drone home manually. Each time is different based on wind conditions, obstacles, landing spot, etc... If you always use RTH, I believe you become complacent and won't have the necessary skill set necessary to bring it home when you really need to (i.e.loss of GPS lock, auto-switch to ATTI mode). Just my $.02

I’ve never auto land/takeoff. I dont use RTH unless testing new software/firmware. I can understand a new pilot RTH and disconnect after initiating landing sequence to manually take control. But should you lose SAT and go ATTI, you need to know how to fully control your bird. Just my .02.

Each to their own. Do whatever you enjoy. For me unless it’s needed for it’s intended purpose RTH is a novelty that wears off quick. A bit like waypoint missions within control range. I don’t understand that either however I can see how mission planning is a legitimate and for those who are into it rewarding pursuit.

I admit I've always used RTH, but mainly because I'm amazed on how it lands almost perfectly where it took off from :) Sometimes I just like to watch it flying on it's own without my input.

I'll be practicing manual landings for sure though.

Reactions: Rvrrat14
Hi. And thanks.I've tried the the stick down many times but it just hovers. OA kicks in .I will read the manual again
it hovers a couple of feet above the pad, that is when you need to put full throttle down to force it to land, it is different to the phantom 3 in that respect it will also tell you if it thinks that the spot that you are trying to land on is not suitable and it will do that in a RTH landing as well

I have always had difficulty landing manually. When hovering a couple feet it seems to drift quite a bit. I recently realized it drifts less if I can continually descend and pinpoint the target.

Precision landing is pretty good but often hard to tell it has taken hold and doing regular landing.

i think the main reason that the Mavics just dont land but hover is because they are very low to the ground and it is to prevent damage to the props and ESCs if the props are impaired on landing even in precision landing the mav will hover for a few seconds before it descends to the take off pad the only time i believe that it comes straight down is when the battery level has gone critical

Excellent advice. I particularly like the part of orienting it facing away so that stick movements match direction. There is something to that "with age, comes wisdom" concept! Only another month while I can still match your "age-i-ness!" (g)

Reactions: old man mavic
Always best to know how to land without the use of RTH. You may need this skill at some point to make an emergency landing. I’ve had sudden critical battery warnings (not low battery) where I needed to land quickly, and it wasn’t over the home area.

So long as you stay in the center grid as in the photo below, with no obstacles directly below you, and have the camera pointing 90 degrees down as you are landing you should be ok. I’ve landed hundreds of times using this method with no issues. If in doubt as to whether you are looking straight down, set one of the toggle buttons so in can be used for 0 (looking straight forward) and 90 (looking straight down)

Attachments

• 289648B0-4971-4D43-8156-A66EB7BDEABB.png
    289648B0-4971-4D43-8156-A66EB7BDEABB.png
    6.5 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Reactions: mereflyer
Sounds simple but this is one area I have some difficulty doing well. In tight spaces roughly 15× 15 feet in not ideal locations landing my Mel. Getting it to land I have been pressing the land button for better control return to home seems more problematic when landing around trees what's the best way to take control for the last 60 seconds of flight?
Wow, you've got a lot of answers. I fly an Air, but this should still be applicable.

I almost always use RTH. I love automation.

But the important thing to remember about automation is that it must be monitored. You have got to make sure it is doing what you want it to.

When mine gets overhead, I usually already have the camera pointing straight down. This is my first verification that it's coming down in the right place.

As it descends, it will often (not always) correct it's horizontal position; I assume as it recognizes what it sees now with what it saw and recorded on takeoff.

Sometimes, I cannot find a really open space because of trees, so I'll be bringing it down through a "hole" in the canopy. Not difficult unless your "hole" is really small. I usually make sure to have a gap at least three meters round.

You can adjust its horizontal position manually, even while RTH is still active. I recommend small movements.

Or, a press of the RTH button and it cancels the mode and hovers. Then you can bring it in manually. It isn't hard. And remember you don't have to use full deflection on your controls. Small, gentle commands are much better.

Once you get very close to the ground, you will of course fully deflect down to trigger the landing cycle. Or you can land it in your hand. Or you can grab it from below, and flip it upside down -- instantly shuts off the motors.

That's my typical routine in less than ideal space.

I have always had difficulty landing manually. When hovering a couple feet it seems to drift quite a bit. I recently realized it drifts less if I can continually descend and pinpoint the target.

Precision landing is pretty good but often hard to tell it has taken hold and doing regular landing.
Exactly! Slides around

During a Litchi Waypoint flight today, over the ocean near my place, I was very grateful for that RTH button on my MP1 controller.

Used it for a successful end to an otherwise big scare, when "Signal Lost" appeared on the screen of my video tablet.

The "Sig loss" happened about 100 meters from the landing spot, with 65% battery. Bright sun in my eyes.

Thankfully all ended well, though I have no idea why or how to prevent another "Signal Lost".

Anyone else had this happen? Any answers, clues etc -

During a Litchi Waypoint flight today, over the ocean near my place, I was very grateful for that RTH button on my MP1 controller.

Used it for a successful end to an otherwise big scare, when "Signal Lost" appeared on the screen of my video tablet.

The "Sig loss" happened about 100 meters from the landing spot, with 65% battery. Bright sun in my eyes.

Thankfully all ended well, though I have no idea why or how to prevent another "Signal Lost".

Anyone else had this happen? Any answers, clues etc -
Try manually selecting 5.8 GHz WiFi range before your flight. Go to the display, and scroll to the right to reveal these higher frequencies. Select “manual” mode, then patiently watch the various bands for a while to see which ones show no interference.

Below this display you’ll have a row of selectable numbers corresponding to the frequencies. Press your choice, and confirm.

Then launch. Note: you cannot change frequency in flight.

Reactions: mereflyer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
motiongraphics50