DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Las Vegas strip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who ever took that picture is within 1/4 mile of the international airport
Strange the police officer who was standing next to me watching me film this video didn't point that out to me

As a pilot who flies in and out of McCarren, I would ask politely, that you not fly a drone anywhere near that or any other airport without permission. You are putting me and countless others at risk. It is this exact behavior that will get these things regulated out of existence. In most cases, call the tower, tell them where you are and what you are doing, and if it will not interfere, you should be good to go. Don't be that guy.

As a pilot who flies in and out of McCarren, I would ask politely, that you not fly a drone anywhere near that or any other airport without permission. You are putting me and countless others at risk. It is this exact behavior that will get these things regulated out of existence. In most cases, call the tower, tell them where you are and what you are doing, and if it will not interfere, you should be good to go. Don't be that guy.

So how low is it you fly over the Luxor? I’d be pooping bricks if there was a plan flying over the Vegas strip under 400’

Reactions: JDawg
As a retired Airlines Captain of 31 years and with 3 years recreational drone experience, I am astonished at the blatant disregard for human safety and total ignorance this "drone pilot" has displayed by shooting this video. I wish I could have him in the jump seat of a 747 during a near miss experience. I'll bet his "so what" attitude would end up in his pants. I applaud all the comments above from our group that admonish his stupidity rather than applaud his "talent" as a drone photographer. Wake up my friend and grow a pair. Thanks drone comrades for your professional and responsible comments.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_4ec.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_4ec.jpeg
    481.7 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Ok let be honest. I know 85% of pilots once they have some kind of confidence have "drifted" over into a "no fly zone" but let break that down. First off raise your hand if you don't mind destroying your mavic. Ok no one so the plan is not to touch anything. Second who wants to hurt someone and destroy this bird. Again no one. Does it happen, Absolutely count on it but if your telling me that exact same scenario does not or has not played out in "fly zones" your wrong. I could get hit by a car just as easy in front of my house as I could downtown. So what some people are "up in arms" for is a set of words written by a politician on a fancy piece of paper, he who surley does not fly drones, and like magic just because he wrote it down on paper and then took it to his buddies and said hey look what I did and they all said sure that works, that's what your upset and defending? That's really laughable to be honest because I don't remember being in that paper vote and does anyone here actually personally know any of the people involved in making magic areas on a map unavailable to the free people of planet Earth? That truly is amazing to me that anyone would actually care where Susy q or Jon Doe fly thier , THIER mavic. If this was a video with someone buzzing people or getting close to aircraft for games or just for pictures then yes hey quit being an idiot but in a world where this person literally did no harm to anyone, you sir would have if you could, approached and arrested the pilot and had he said what I just did you would have then beaten and kidnapped them and thrown them in a cage..so let's just all chill out, be free willed human beings were born to be and fly with common sense . He has no greater chance of hitting anyone or anything on the strip at that altitude than he would anywhere else. Could be in the Gobi desert and have a malfunction and watch as it literally tumbled out of the sky and smack into the only other soul for hundreds of miles. Everything is probability.

Reactions: CRYTHM and Towlem
Anyone who condones flying near an airport without permission or over heavily populated areas with cars and people everywhere are not just part of the problem but are the problem. A total disregard for the people below his drone who could be seriously injured should the drone go down.

Anyone who condones flying near an airport without permission or over heavily populated areas with cars and people everywhere are not just part of the problem but are the problem. A total disregard for the people below his drone who could be seriously injured should the drone go down.

So what do you do when you are in public and witness someone flying over crowds and near airports?

I am going to show this video to the local FSDO in Las Vegas. They will have the evidence via your posting here. I too, am a retired airline pilot and have flown in to this airport many times and for you to think it is funny and make the statement "what are you going to do about it" , well sir you are going to find out.

Reactions: Zeke and ScubaBob
This post is dripping with irony. You complain about your lack on engagement in the rules making process by an over reaching government when it relates to a "free people" yet defend wreckless drone operations that have and will increase a further encroachment into our freedoms by the same government. Rules are usually written because of careless people conducting careless activities..not because some bureaucrat is bored.

Have I flown in a no-fly zone...yup...after contacting the local tower and tell them who I was, what I was doing, where I was doing, and at what altitude I would remain at. The tower dude was like "ok" and that was the end of it. I flew, kept an eye out for overflying traffic and got my footage. Completely legal.

The chance of a drone going rogue is remote (no pun intended) but everyone knows that it has occurred. Do you want to explain law enforcement, including the FAA, why they found your drone in the middle of a taxiway? Or maybe to the lawyers of the families of victims you killed when your drone slammed into a landing airplane...or was ingested by an engine? I wouldn't.

As for the probability of such an event; low but professional pilots training constantly for things that will probably NEVER happen. I have hundreds of hours in the simulator training for events that in my 6500 hours of flying have not happened....yet.

It is simply not worth it for anyone involved. It can hurt the hobby...or for some, a profession. It will lead to further regulation which is the absolute last thing anyone wants. There are ways to operate safely.

While I am concerned that someone was operating a drone near a major airport (and busy road), the greatest concern is the attitude towards the operation when called out on it.

Finally, technology is being developed that will allow airports and local law enforcement to track individual drones. Hundreds violate FAA's no drone fly zone at Balloon Fiesta

Ok let be honest. I know 85% of pilots once they have some kind of confidence have "drifted" over into a "no fly zone" but let break that down. First off raise your hand if you don't mind destroying your mavic. Ok no one so the plan is not to touch anything. Second who wants to hurt someone and destroy this bird. Again no one. Does it happen, Absolutely count on it but if your telling me that exact same scenario does not or has not played out in "fly zones" your wrong. I could get hit by a car just as easy in front of my house as I could downtown. So what some people are "up in arms" for is a set of words written by a politician on a fancy piece of paper, he who surley does not fly drones, and like magic just because he wrote it down on paper and then took it to his buddies and said hey look what I did and they all said sure that works, that's what your upset and defending? That's really laughable to be honest because I don't remember being in that paper vote and does anyone here actually personally know any of the people involved in making magic areas on a map unavailable to the free people of planet Earth? That truly is amazing to me that anyone would actually care where Susy q or Jon Doe fly thier , THIER mavic. If this was a video with someone buzzing people or getting close to aircraft for games or just for pictures then yes hey quit being an idiot but in a world where this person literally did no harm to anyone, you sir would have if you could, approached and arrested the pilot and had he said what I just did you would have then beaten and kidnapped them and thrown them in a cage..so let's just all chill out, be free willed human beings were born to be and fly with common sense . He has no greater chance of hitting anyone or anything on the strip at that altitude than he would anywhere else. Could be in the Gobi desert and have a malfunction and watch as it literally tumbled out of the sky and smack into the only other soul for hundreds of miles. Everything is probability.

Reactions: Awolfe57 and Zeke
OK guys I have deleted a few post in this for name calling so please stop.
As far as Flying in NFZ's I'm, not sure how you are doing it unless you have jumped through the hoops as I have tried testing that here and mine won't spin up in one or fly into one .A hacked one would but mine isn't.
No carry on but be Civil .
Thanks

So what do you do when you are in public and witness someone flying over crowds and near airports?

Not sure what your question has do to with the conduct of the OP but I have never encountered the situation that you ask about. Probably because that kind of dangerous flying with no consideration to the safety of the people below is relatively uncommon compared to all the considerate and safe flyers.......thankfully.

Not sure what your question has do to with the conduct of the OP but I have never encountered the situation that you ask about. Probably because that kind of dangerous flying with no consideration to the safety of the people below is relatively uncommon compared to all the considerate and safe flyers.......thankfully.

I'm more curios to know if folks actually take action when they encounter these issues, rather than point fingers and act like they are the law. I'm not sure where you are from but I witness more drone activity just about every event I attend around the "big city". In fact, I was just in Vegas and was surprised to see drones flying around the strip. I know it's not right but people are getting away with it anyway. Nobody's doing anything about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky