DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Launching on a boat

Going on a sailing trip in a month myself... Mavic, have you thought about hovering over the net and killing the motors using the emergency stick maneuver so the MP falls until it?

I don't think that you will have enough feeling within that cloves for a firm grip to the Mavic, so it cannot slide out.

I found that it wasn't so tricky. Just hover so it is about eye level or maybe a foot higher. Reach up underneath and grab with your hand right around where the battery release tabs are. The hardest part is that when you are doing this catch by yourself, you need to hold the rc in the other hand and as soon as you grab the MP, pull down on the left stick to shut down the rotors. As you do it a couple of times, you gain more confidence. Best to turn off VPS to disable the downward sensors. Otherwise the MP will see your hand as an obstacle and start to ascend to avoid the obstacle.

Good luck

I have launched from our sailboat while underway many times, but on 3 occasions the Mavic's engines stopped dead when the drone was about one foot above the deck, causing it to crash. I don't know why it does this only occasionally. The obstacle avoidance was disabled in all cases. Just something to be aware of. DJI tech support has no idea what could be happening.

Reactions: Piggy

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard