DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Learning to fly Mini 2 SE

welcome to the forum
here are a few tips that apply to any of the Mini drones
(1) firstly when you start flying ,dont worry about the camera functions to much ,mastering them will be easier once you have mastered the basics ,of actually controlling the drone in flight ,and gained confidence ,it is normal to feel aprehensive when you first start ,and the more you practice ,then those feelings will subside
(2) if you can find someone local to you, who would be willing to give you,the benefit of their expirence ,and help you to control the drone ,that would give you a good start into this great pastime
(3) if that is not possible then find a large open area ,away from trees and other ground obstacles,and begin by flying basic manouver repetitions ,till you can do them without constantly looking down at the sticks,it takes time, practice ,practice ,practice, but is well worth the reward when it becomes second nature
but by the same token its very easy to become over confident ,and thats the moment ,when that inevitable crash happenes
download some of the Apps that apply to your country ,that help with giving you info on the airspace where you intend to fly ,and also get your trust certificate from the FAA
but above all,have fun while you learn to fly

Last edited:
Reactions: old man mavic
Hello and season's greetings to you!

I just bought a DJI Mini 2 SE drone and am learning to fly it.

I will be very grateful if you have used the Mini 2 SE drone and can help me with some tips. Please let me know if you are available by email, phone, or in-person to help me out.

Many thanks and regards,
Shur

I suggest the no-cost online courses from The Pilot Institute. Look for "Recreational Flying Made Easy" and "DJI Mini 2 Deep Dive" for starters. Those two will set you off on the right path.

They offer several other free courses that will be useful, and consider some of the paid courses for more advanced work. (I have no business connection with The Pilot Institute.)

You should feel free to ask questions right here on the forum. There are many knowledgeable and patient people willing to help.

Reactions: rwilliam99
I suggest the no-cost online courses from The Pilot Institute. Look for "Recreational Flying Made Easy" and "DJI Mini 2 Deep Dive" for starters. Those two will set you off on the right path.

They offer several other free courses that will be useful, and consider some of the paid courses for more advanced work. (I have no business connection with The Pilot Institute.)

You should feel free to ask questions right here on the forum. There are many knowledgeable and patient people willing to help.
Thank you so much! I will definitely take a look at The Pilot Institute's videos.

Reactions: MS Coast
welcome to the forum
here are a few tips that apply to any of the Mini drones
(1) firstly when you start flying ,dont worry about the camera functions to much ,mastering them will be easier once you have mastered the basics ,of actually controlling the drone in flight ,and gained confidence ,it is normal to feel aprehensive when you first start ,and the more you practice ,then those feelings will subside
(2) if you can find someone local to you, who would be willing to give you,the benefit of their expirence ,and help you to control the drone ,that would give you a good start into this great pastime
(3) if that is not possible then find a large open area ,away from trees and other ground obstacles,and begin by flying basic manouver repetitions ,till you can do them without constantly looking down at the sticks,it takes time, practice ,practice ,practice, but is well worth the reward when it becomes second nature
but by the same token its very easy to become over confident ,and thats the moment ,when that inevitable crash happenes
download some of the Apps that apply to your country ,that help with giving you info on the airspace where you intend to fly ,and also get your trust certificate from the FAA
but above all,have fun while you learn to fly
Many thanks for those valuable tips. I appreciate it!

Reactions: old man mavic
Watched a bunch of YouTube flight videos before I even purchased. Downloaded and read the manual a few times and got my TRUST certificate.

Once I got my Mini 2 SE, I went through the flight tutorial that was presented on the DJI Fly app. Took baby steps the first few times flying until my proficiency and confidence improved. Now flying a Mini 4 Pro. I still don't use all the advanced features either drone offers but I'm confident with my flying ability and don't take unnecessary risks.

My $0.02 worth and have fun with your new drone.

Watched a bunch of YouTube flight videos before I even purchased. Downloaded and read the manual a few times and got my TRUST certificate.

Once I got my Mini 2 SE, I went through the flight tutorial that was presented on the DJI Fly app. Took baby steps the first few times flying until my proficiency and confidence improved. Now flying a Mini 4 Pro. I still don't use all the advanced features either drone offers but I'm confident with my flying ability and don't take unnecessary risks.

My $0.02 worth and have fun with your new drone.
Thank you so much! I will have your tips in mind.

The Mini 2 SE almost flies itself compared to the Parrot drones I had over 10 years ago and with the gimbal setup the camera is great.
I also have the Mini 4 pro and still fly the Mini 2 SE more

Hello to you all!

First, let me wish you all a wonderful 2024 with great health, happiness, success, and prosperity!

I have a quick couple of questions. While practicing with my DJI Mini 2 SE, I noticed a problem for which I know you will have a solution.

(1). While the drone was in the air, when I pressed the RTH button on my remote control the drone was actually going up in altitude without returning to the base! I had to manually bring it back to the base. Is there some setting that I need to modify in the DJI Fly app?

(2). Also, can I attach an Apple AirTag, which weighs about 12 grams, to my Mini 2 SE drone? Just in case it flies away and ends up somewhere, I may be able to locate it even though I have signed up for the 2-year DJI Care Refresh Plan, which I believe includes Flyaway.

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Wishing you and yours a Happy New Year!
Shur

Hello to you all!

First, let me wish you all a wonderful 2024 with great health, happiness, success, and prosperity!

I have a quick couple of questions. While practicing with my DJI Mini 2 SE, I noticed a problem for which I know you will have a solution.

(1). While the drone was in the air, when I pressed the RTH button on my remote control the drone was actually going up in altitude without returning to the base! I had to manually bring it back to the base. Is there some setting that I need to modify in the DJI Fly app?

(2). Also, can I attach an Apple AirTag, which weighs about 12 grams, to my Mini 2 SE drone? Just in case it flies away and ends up somewhere, I may be able to locate it even though I have signed up for the 2-year DJI Care Refresh Plan, which I believe includes Flyaway.

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Wishing you and yours a Happy New Year!
Shur

For #1 - this would depend what you had set for the height for RTH. The way RTH works is that it will ascend to whatever height is set and THEN return to whatever coordinates were set when the flight started. The reasoning is that you want to set the RTH height higher than any obstacles it might encounter on the way home.

#2 - It would most likely technically make it over 250g. It will also only work in more urban areas since it relies on bluetooth which has a limited range. If you only fly in urban areas, it might do what you are looking for.

Reactions: Shur
For #1 - this would depend what you had set for the height for RTH. The way RTH works is that it will ascend to whatever height is set and THEN return to whatever coordinates were set when the flight started. The reasoning is that you want to set the RTH height higher than any obstacles it might encounter on the way home.

#2 - It would most likely technically make it over 250g. It will also only work in more urban areas since it relies on bluetooth which has a limited range. If you only fly in urban areas, it might do what you are looking for.

Airtags rely on the Bluetooth signal from the user's phone, not a urban-based network.

Thank you so much! That is very helpful.

Airtags rely on the Bluetooth signal from the user's phone, not a urban-based network.

They are bluetooth, but it was my understanding that airtags are essentially mesh networked, so that if someone with an iPhone came in proximity to the tag, you would be notified. That would obviously only work in an urban area where there are other people around with iPhones.

Quote from this page: AirTag

When youʼve left something far behind, like at the beach or the gym, the Find My network — hundreds of millions of iPhone, iPad, and Mac devices around the world — helps track down your AirTag. And itʼs designed to protect your privacy every step of the way.

They are bluetooth, but it was my understanding that airtags are essentially mesh networked, so that if someone with an iPhone came in proximity to the tag, you would be notified. That would obviously only work in an urban area where there are other people around with iPhones.

Quote from this page: AirTag
I have to smile about this. You're absolutely right about Airtags being useful for locating an item with inputs from others, and that being more effective in populous areas. My orientation is toward potentially using them to find things I've hidden from myself nearby, like keys.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne