DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Left Side In Focus, Right Side Mushy

MrMavic

Reactions
I'm trying to figure out what the problem is here. I feel I have spent more time than many would have trying to figure this out. I'm beating my head against the wall I guess. This is a screen shot from a video I just shot. I focused on the cottonwood tree in the center. The trees on Right and Left sides are about the same distance from the camera, yet the right side is mushy and the left fairly well focused.
I am trying to decide if I want to spend a refresh on a new one or not. My thoughts are what if I get someone else's used reject as a replacement.
Your thoughts and ideas please.

Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 10.42.21 PM.png

That is not a refresh problem that is a warranty issue.
Send some of those pictures to DJI and ask them what you should do. I am pretty sure they will tell you to send it back for warranty repairs. Make sure when you ship it you strip the Mavic of any accessories like your larger SD card and ND filter, because you will not get them back. As for getting a used one, I am sorry to say that you are unfortunately going to have to take a chance. The good news is that of late people have been getting Mavic's that are in pristine condition.

Rob

Reactions: Kilrah
Before you send it in I would suggest you increase the camera's sharpness to +1 from 0.
You will find that this little tweak might solve your problem as the Mavic's on board sharpening tool is very crude as it tries feverishly to sharpen the image on its own and doesn't do a very good job.
By adjusting it to plus 1, you are manually setting the sharpening protocol for it so it doesnt have to sharpen the video each time by itself. It's already set, by you.

Reactions: Cut.Aussie
Before you send it in I would suggest you increase the camera's sharpness to +1 from 0.
You will find that this little tweak might solve your problem as the Mavic's on board sharpening tool is very crude as it tries feverishly to sharpen the image on its own and doesn't do a very good job.
By adjusting it to plus 1, you are manually setting the sharpening protocol for it so it doesnt have to sharpen the video each time by itself. It's already set, by you.

I agree with Grey Wolf, try setting Sharpness to +1

Settings sharpnes to +1 will help with overall shapes but will not stop ununiform focus. I had to send mine back.

This is documented oodles of times - it's a defect and one for warranty repair.

I have had the sharpness at +1 for a week, in fact I think I was the first one to post that helps. I think the +1 did help a little, but it did not fix the problem. Thanks guys for helping me decide. I have an email in to them. Any suggestions as to the best way to communicate with them?

Last edited:
Yeah, that makes sense as I had that problem with a SLR camera one time. Another problem I have with he Mavic is disconnecting constantly and no video feed. I tried different new cables and didn't help. Maybe I should have them replace the RC also.

DJI just sent me a reply. Of course they asked me if I had done some things like switching between Auto and Manual focus, Resetting the camera and such things.

This is what they asked of me:

images__1_.jpg

Myra (DJI)

5月8日 02:00 CST

Dear Billy,

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

We are so sorry to hear what happened to your unit. We do understand how you feel and for the inconvenience you are experiencing right now.

In regard to your concern, please make sure that you have the latest firmware update with your unit and please try to reset the Camera Settings and try to switch the Auto-focus and Manual focus.
If the issue persists, please upload some original images to dropbox and send me the link.

I will wait for your reply. Thank you
If you have any other inquiry in the future please feel free to contact us back anytime and we will be more than happy to assist you with your concern.

Have a wonderful day ahead.

Best Regards,
Myra
DJI SUPPORT

Tel Support: +1(818)235 0789 / Mon-Fri 7:00AM-5:00PM(PST)

Online Support: DJI Support - Here for You

Products: Mavic

Dealers: Amazon

Subject: FOCUS ISSUE

Message: Cannot get a sharp image on my Mavic. I have tried re-setting the camera and every other setting. The focus is not acceptable.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I'm uploading images to DropBox right now.

attachment.zip

Last edited:
Sending it in will be your solution, as this has been discussed to completion already. They will likely replace your camera or Mavic.

Sending it in will be your solution, as this has been discussed to completion already. They will likely replace your camera or Mavic.
I have a shipping label now, and I'll be sending it in tomorrow. I'm sending the Mavic body and the controller. With all the bad reviews on DJI service I just hope this works out and I get a good camera this time.
They asked if I had the Refresh like I think they want to use up one of my refreshes.

I'm calling them tomorrow and remind them it's a warranty issue, not a refresh issue. They wouldn't do that to me would they ?
Thanks everyone for all the help. You guys are awesome here on the forum.

I have a shipping label now, and I'll be sending it in tomorrow. I'm sending the Mavic body and the controller. With all the bad reviews on DJI service I just hope this works out and I get a good camera this time.
They asked if I had the Refresh like I think they want to use up one of my refreshes.

I'm calling them tomorrow and remind them it's a warranty issue, not a refresh issue. They wouldn't do that to me would they ?
Thanks everyone for all the help. You guys are awesome here on the forum.
Others have been successful using warranty. I hope you get the same.

Had the same issue. Was a warranty repair - more like an exchange: got a brand new mavic. Turnaround 2 weeks from chicago.

Hi , i know this is an old thread but i wanted to ask if replacing the camera lens with a new one (that hopefully does not have the problem) would fix the issue.

I do not know why but i am reluctant to send the bird back to dji.

Thanks,
Dimitris

Its a fairly common quality control issue on the mavic. In theory you can send it back and play the DJI lottery of getting one fixed or a worse one back.
Searching here, FB and the dji forum its not a rare issue.
Mine does it but is soft on the left not right.

Heres mine for example:-
sharpness-issue.jpg

Ultimately it means i need to crop 15% or so from the left side to get a usable image.

Im stuck with it as my mavic was bought in the states so no hope of warranty. I would guess a new camera or lens may solve it. The problem is most likely an imperfection in the lens or the lens isnt exactly parallel to the sensor.

Hi @gnirtS i noticed the issue in my footage almost from day one and we share the "fear" for the DJI lottery :)

I have seen some afordable camera replacements online but there is also the matter of trust.

I know @Thunderdrones has almost everything but i do not live in the states :)

I bought mine in the states while living in the Caribbean. Im currently in europe but moving to Asia next week. No chance of a warranty!

If i could guarantee a new camera unit would fix the issue i'd do it and swallow the cost just to get it working. But i'd need absolute proof first and some sort of guarantee the new camera is fine.
Its not that bad in video as motion blur hides it but i do 90% photo and only take a few seconds of video once in maybe every 5 flights so its a pain.

I can understand the "pain". I bought mine directly from DJI so i still have a chance for the warranty but as i said, i am reluctant. :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman