DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

leg extensions, landing pad,or don't bother ?

MAVEYE

Reactions
Hello everyone
I bought some standard leg extensions for my mavic and have been okay until now I flew a few days ago and when trying to land the rc was coming up on the screen landing at max height I had line of sight and I could hear the mavic Motors making a wirling noise as if it was fighting to land. Today I did a test flight all was okay until I tried to land same thing but this time I had 4 seagulls trying to circle and have a go at my mavic it took me ages to land and at some point it did not even look like it was landing. Eventually landed on a low battery and a twitchy bum lol. I took off the legs tested again landed perfectly!
I have read a lot of posts on here which to say is very informative, great advice and very helpful. one of the things that come up on this forum is Don't PANIC stay in control
So I did not panic even though i was worried and I managed to land without hurting anyone or my bird just dropping out the sky which I believe was highly likely.
While I was having this problem I did consider going into the setting and disarming the sensors in mid flight don't know if that would have worked ? Has anyone done this before.My other question is has anyone used the landing pad on there mavic and found them to be any good and worth the money I don't want to use the legs again. they where cheap anyway so will not be a big miss even though i liked the extra height but I want to protect the bottom of my mavic any suggestions would be helpful.

Use a landing pad. Think you answered your own question regarding leg extensions. They interfere with the landing sensors. I only use the landing pad if there is not a hard surface to take off from and land on. like a driveway or sidewalk. I have a small concrete pad in my back yard from and old burning barrel which I use to land one. about the side of a landing pad and MP has hit it every time on RTH. I will use my landing pad if I am landing in grass or dirt.

While I was having this problem I did consider going into the setting and disarming the sensors in mid flight don't know if that would have worked?
It sounds like a possible issue with the downward sensors detecting the landing gear. You can confirm that by taking a look at your TXT flight log. If you find that to be the cause, it would be best to switch to a set of landing gear that don't interfere with the downward sensors or disable the Landing Protection setting in DJI GO before taking off when using landing gear. If you ever run into this issue mid-flight, you could also disable the Landing Protection setting mid-flight.

DJI-GO-Landing-Protection.jpg

Make sure your rear landing gear is oriented correctly, and does not interfere with the downward sensors.

As for requirement - I rarely use my extensions, and definitely don't use a pad, as I hand launch/catch almost always (even on "safe" ground).

Once you get in the habit, it's easy.

I always use leg extenders and landing pad,don't want anything sucked into mavic or motors

I use the landing gear extending legs that came in the Fly More DJI Mavic Pro package. I never had any issues with them interfering with the sensor, but I can see how the rear one might if not installed properly. I really like having them on all the time as it is easier to see the orientation of the quad inflight. I even found I can pack the Mavic with the leg extensions on in the Fly More bag.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_3532.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_3532.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 64
Reactions: rickw
those are the same leg extensions I have been using and installed the same at the rear. What I should have done was checked to see if I had slightly knocked the rear one and it might of been just obstructing the sensor, But to late.

For months I have used a landing pad, but meanwhile I am prefering hand launch and landing. If you are used to it (after the initial fear factor) it is very simple and safe, works everywhere without additional equipment and protects the Mavic from any dust near the ground.

Reactions: Flawless
I will buy the landing pad I have the Leg extender for some reason it does not precisely land on my heli pad

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
algirasingh