DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lego Shows Drone Negativity

jmminke

Reactions
I was recently looking for some Lego pieces for my Grandson and came across this

I was upset that in a time when Drone pilots are striving to make this activity legal and respectful, Lego is portraying the wrong message to kids that Drones are somewhat bad.

I sent a message
"Good Afternoon
First off, i have been a Lego fan for for the past 30 some years. My kids grew up playing lego. I now have a Grandson who we have purchased numerous pieces of Lego for.
I was recently looking at some lego pieces and was somewhat disappointed when i saw the Lego City Sky Drone Chase set. I am a avid drone pilot and took offence to what this portrays to children and youth. We are now having to register our drones and have a proper licence to fly. Now when a child sees a drone and has this lego set he or she will think they are illegal in some way or another. This activity struggles daily with public perception that drones are spying on them and very often call police on pilots who are acting in a legal responsible manner.
A suggestion would be to show the police using a drone for search and rescue or mapping a scene. It is very limited that drones are used for illegal activity as portrayed in the media. Lego for kids should be a positive adventure not portraying a negative image."

Not sure if this upsets anyone else .... but if it does i encourage you to send Lego a message as well.

they must of had requests from many people to create that set. Lego does extensive research before launching anything. You can investigate a little more on their process and how they develop and decide which "toys" make it to market.

I watched a program about Lego,a year or so ago which went through their process. Below is also their guideline for new submissions

Lego Product Idea Guideline

Last edited:
problem with that is they had a request from many people to create that set. Lego does extensive research before launching anything. You can investigate a little more on their process and how they develop and decide which "toys" make it to market.

Unfortunately the naysayers at this time far outweigh those of us that follow the rules as drone pilots, and those so called "pilots" that break them are the first ones to get media attention.

Looks like they received a substantial request for this toy to have made it to production.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. ...

Reactions: Dur8an Poison
I think this is probably a lot more about 5-year-olds having fun playing with toy helicopters and toy drones than it is about making an anti-drone statement. It looks like the drone is being used for a heist, and the police have to stop it - doesn't seem too bad to me. It is an surprisingly specific theme though. It would be worse if the theme was an annoying neighbor or something, but it's more of an imaginative heist scenario which IMHO is fair game.

The drone pilot is already in a prison uniform with accessory handcuffs haha.

I would not worry about it too much- the lego crooks also use boats, cars, helicopters etc....the Lego crooks use whatever they can find- I would agree if they were theives that used drones in every crime.

And this set comes with a drone and no crooks:

Reactions: Coskier and BigAl07
The set description is "Includes 3 LEGO City minifigures: a crook and a Sky Police officer figure plus a golden statue minifigure."

Pretty much sets the tone for those who use drones. We are all a bunch of crooks!

The problem is when you apply the same logic to any other Lego set. To view this drone Lego set in isolation is not being objective. There are many similar Lego sets with the exact same general idea but slightly different subject matter.

Here is a Lego set called "Mountain River Heist" - this would be the equivalent of people on an ATV forum thinking that Lego is giving them a bad name or suggesting they're all gold thieves:

GUEST_31e7978d-9be4-42c0-a9c0-ba3613ac54d6

This is nothing to worry about in my opinion. If Lego's drone set is calling drone users crooks, then Lego has over time called virtually everyone a crook one way or another.

They also have a very cool Fire Department drone that is part of another set (did a "drone" search in their field)....

Gotta hand it to @teebone about not being easily offended - as soon as I read about the above mentioned set, I ordered one. I think it's kind of funny and hope that confession does not get me put in time out but I thought it was kinda cool and like to collect stuff (offbeat references) to drones and hobbies I have. The Fire Department is a lot more money so I probably won't get it - maybe!!

Fly safe!!

I think it's BRILLIANT that Lego is cashing in on the "Buzz Word" of DRONE. What better way to increase your search rankings and get more sales than to use the word DRONE in your marketing campaign.

Reactions: MKurr
ME an de crew wanna complain to Leggo cos we dont wear nifing like that dodgy stripped outfit wen we use the drones to deliver the merchandise to the crew in the slammer.

In the UK quite apart from the fuss at Gatwick Airport, (and a few copycat incidents at other airports) there have been quite a few news items on people getting drugs and mobile phones in to prisons in the UK using drones. Judging by the videos broadcast inthe news items and the current affairs program looking at the problem they look similar to DJI Inspire and/or the Leggo model though the make is not identified. There have been numerous other news items of Drones being miss used.

SO Leggo are just cashing in, can't blame them. It also highlights that mis behaving with a Drone will involve the police. None of that should worry serious or professional Drone flyers.

See? That’s clearly an FAA Police Chopper catching the bad drone pilots who don’t register or fly by the rules.
I really don't think the FAA is going to use a $2M chopper to catch a drone. Hmmm, on second thought, they just might. Anyone know where I can buy "Commo" skins for my MPP?

I was recently looking for some Lego pieces for my Grandson and came across this

View attachment 67998

I was upset that in a time when Drone pilots are striving to make this activity legal and respectful, Lego is portraying the wrong message to kids that Drones are somewhat bad.

I sent a message
"Good Afternoon
First off, i have been a Lego fan for for the past 30 some years. My kids grew up playing lego. I now have a Grandson who we have purchased numerous pieces of Lego for.
I was recently looking at some lego pieces and was somewhat disappointed when i saw the Lego City Sky Drone Chase set. I am a avid drone pilot and took offence to what this portrays to children and youth. We are now having to register our drones and have a proper licence to fly. Now when a child sees a drone and has this lego set he or she will think they are illegal in some way or another. This activity struggles daily with public perception that drones are spying on them and very often call police on pilots who are acting in a legal responsible manner.
A suggestion would be to show the police using a drone for search and rescue or mapping a scene. It is very limited that drones are used for illegal activity as portrayed in the media. Lego for kids should be a positive adventure not portraying a negative image."

Not sure if this upsets anyone else .... but if it does i encourage you to send Lego a message as well.

I saw this on FoxNews and immediately went to their twitter page to [Language Removed by Moderator] and moan. You should as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a huge Lego fan myself having entire rooms in my house filled with Lego. When I first saw this set I thought the same thing about the portrayal of a drone HOWEVER. I shortly looked at it as if you're going to do illegal things with your drone then the police will catch you. The drone with Lego is portrayed as an evil burglers evil drone stealing a statue.

Fly responsibility, not where you're not supposed to and the police won't show up. :)
*Side note, kids that buy toy "drones" play with them this way anyway and dont just fly them.

The problem is when you apply the same logic to any other Lego set. To view this drone Lego set in isolation is not being objective. There are many similar Lego sets with the exact same general idea but slightly different subject matter.

Here is a Lego set called "Mountain River Heist" - this would be the equivalent of people on an ATV forum thinking that Lego is giving them a bad name or suggesting they're all gold thieves:

GUEST_31e7978d-9be4-42c0-a9c0-ba3613ac54d6

This is nothing to worry about in my opinion. If Lego's drone set is calling drone users crooks, then Lego has over time called virtually everyone a crook one way or another.

I was thinking the same thing. I’m sure they have a set where the “crooks” are driving a sports car. I can’t imagine there are a bunch of sports car enthusiasts up in arms over it.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JJ112