DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Length of footage

I checked the format of my sd card and it is fat32 - it's my original 64gb card that came with my gopro - bigger means better - my MP came with only a 16gb card I beleive. I am still looking for a long video of higher than 4gb will let you know

Do you prefer MP3 over mov?
You probably meant MP4 (MP3 is the audio format).

MP4 and MOV are containers for the video. The actual video (from a Mavic 2) is encoded using either the h.264 or h.265 codec (Coder/Decoder). Then, once encoded, the video and audio is put into a container (also called a wrapper) that is either MP4 or MOV. There are utilities which can unwrap from one and re-wrap into the other without affecting the contents.

The choice on whether to use the MP4 or MOV container is almost entirely based on what sort of computer you expect to use for editing. MOV is mostly used on Apple systems, and MP4 is for everything else (Windows, Linux, etc.).

I edit on Vegas which is a Windows NLE (Non-Linear Editor), so I use MP4.

As for encoding, while there are some pretty nifty features the Hasselblad in my Pro can only provide by using the h.265 codec, I choose to use the older h.264 because the post production workflow would be too slow and cumbersome with h.265, especially when shooting in 4K. Almost no computer can keep up with the demands of this very complicated codec.

Reactions: Former Member
You probably meant MP4 (MP3 is the audio format).

MP4 and MOV are containers for the video. The actual video (from a Mavic 2) is encoded using either the h.264 or h.265 codec (Coder/Decoder). Then, once encoded, the video and audio is put into a container (also called a wrapper) that is either MP4 or MOV. There are utilities which can unwrap from one and re-wrap into the other without affecting the contents.

The choice on whether to use the MP4 or MOV container is almost entirely based on what sort of computer you expect to use for editing. MOV is mostly used on Apple systems, and MP4 is for everything else (Windows, Linux, etc.).

I edit on Vegas which is a Windows NLE (Non-Linear Editor), so I use MP4.

As for encoding, while there are some pretty nifty features the Hasselblad in my Pro can only provide by using the h.265 codec, I choose to use the older h.264 because the post production workflow would be too slow and cumbersome with h.265, especially when shooting in 4K. Almost no computer can keep up with the demands of this very complicated codec.
Senior moment lol

Did a test today at the Loch Lomond Motocross and yes once my file got to 3.994 gb (or around there) at 4k resolution, it started a new file - so they had to be patched together with software.

Did you know the old guy tending his garden and realizing he could hear something before finally looking up.
Was curious about the star with 70 on it.

Did you know the old guy tending his garden and realizing he could hear something before finally looking up.
Was curious about the star with 70 on it.
YA that’s was my dad making the drills in our garden on our 115 acre woodlot - the 70 on the star was a marker for his place as they live at 70 second street lol. Love flying around there as there is no interference - went out to 5km once along the edge of the lake and back and still had 30 percent battery.

Here goes:

1. Remove card from drone. Insert card in computer reader. Copy all MP4 files for the flight to the computer.

2. Drag all files to the Vegas timeline (most other editors let you do the same thing).

3. Use any of the timeline playback or scrubbing tools to go rapidly through the footage. The easiest is to do what you can do in YouTube: just grab the playback "head" (the thing that shows what point in the video is being played) and drag it to scrub rapidly through the video. Doing this you can go through even a one hour video in five seconds. All you are doing is looking for, approximately, the start of each section of video you want to keep.

4. Use more precise playback controls to further adjust each cut point. It makes no sense to obsess about precision. If you are within ten seconds, that's probably close enough.

5. Cut the video at this point. In most NLEs, and certainly in Vegas, there are literally several dozen ways to create a cut, but the simplest in Vegas is to press the "S" key (for "Split"). The video to the left of the cursor is now a separate entity (Vegas calls them "events") from the video on the right.

6. Select the video to the left of the cut and, once selected, press the delete key to remove it.

7. Repeat steps 3-6 for the rest of the video until you have all the flotsam cut out.

8. Export the video timeline as a text-based "Edit Decision List" (EDL). This is simply a text file that has all the in/out points for the edit you just did. It is in CSV format and so can easily be imported into Excel or other apps, if you wish.

9. I wrote a small macro in Excel which opens this EDL and then feeds all the cut information to "ffmpeg" which is a batch cutting tool that can losslessly cut MP4 files, without and re-encoding or re-rendering. If your NLE supports "smart rendering" (i.e., the ability to do cuts-only edits without re-encoding the video) then you don't need to go through this extra step, and simply save the new, much shorter video. The output of this macro is a batch file. I just double-click on the batch file and the multiple calls to ffmpeg are executed and I am left with the cut version of my video in the same folder where I put the original, unedited video.

As I said previously, I can take a one hour video and cut out all the garbage in less than 30 seconds. Once ffmpeg has finished if the new files are only a few GB, it only takes about 20-30 seconds to save that file.

Currently I don't bother to recombine the cut files into a single file.

Later, when I am finished with the project and I archive and backup, I usually delete the original video from the memory card. For me, memory cards are a way to acquire the video and get it onto a computer but they are most definitely not a media on which I would ever archive something for long term storage. The technology used is not likely to reliably keep the data for long periods of time.

Hey @johnmeyer can you tell me what you think minimum system requirements are for running Vegas on Win 10? Ive got a 3.2hz i7 running w10 w 16gb ram. Vegas keeps freezing up.

Hey @johnmeyer can you tell me what you think minimum system requirements are for running Vegas on Win 10? Ive got a 3.2hz i7 running w10 w 16gb ram. Vegas keeps freezing up.
I run Vegas on a 10-year-old 3.2 GHz i7 running Windows 7 and 16 GB RAM. I have zero stability problems.

I spent ten years on the Vegas forums back when it was owned by Sonic Foundry and then Sony. When Sony sold it to Magix, the forum changed completely and I bailed. Before, I bailed, I made almost 6,000 posts and got very familiar with Vegas issues and problems.

Starting around version 10 (while Sony still owned it), they started having huge problems with GPU support, which was first added around that time. Most stability problems and most rendering glitches come from using the video card's GPU. My recommendation is to disable that completely, both for timeline playback and for rendering, and see if that cures the stability problems.

What type of video are you trying to edit? I still edit mostly h.264 1920x1080 video from several different cameras. I have also done a limited amount of 4K editing. Since I don't use the GPU, I often use proxies in order to get perfectly smooth timeline performance while editing.

So, I'm sure you have plenty enough horsepower to edit (Vegas has always been a great editor to use on underpowered computers). The crashes are not due to lack of CPU power or speed, nor are they caused by lack of memory.

BTW, one other thing that can cause stability problems are 3rd party plugins. If you have purchased any of these, you might want to temporarily disable them and see if your stability improves.

Oh yes, when rendering, if your system is not well cooled, you can get crashes due to overheating. This is actually quite common. Just search for, then download and install, any of dozens of different utilities that monitor the CPU and GPU temps. If you start to see your processor going over 80° C, then that suggests you may have a problem. If you open Windows Task Manager and look at the utilization of each of your cores, during rendering you should see them all at really high utilization percentages. However, if you also see high temps, then one solution is to turn off some of the cores (you can do this from the task manager). Your render will complete more slowly, but at least it will complete without crashing.

If you are having heat problems, you should check to make sure all your cooling fan intakes are free from dust. This includes the fan on the GPU. I actually lost a video card because I failed to realize there was a fan on the GPU. The rest of my computer was totally clean (I vacuum often), but the GPU got clogged up and fried.

Reactions: Former Member

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU