DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lens Profile for Mini 2

DSR

Reactions
1) I've noticed that there were some discussions about lens profiles for the Mini 2 in Lightroom about a year ago. Did Adobe ever come up with anything? Too lazy to make my own.

2) What software does most of you use to do your video editing?

1) I've noticed that there were some discussions about lens profiles for the Mini 2 in Lightroom about a year ago. Did Adobe ever come up with anything? Too lazy to make my own.
Adobe doesn't need to produce DJI lens profiles because for several years now, DJI cameras produce image files with the lens profile built-in to the image file.

Adobe doesn't need to produce DJI lens profiles because for several years now, DJI cameras produce image files with the lens profile built-in to the image file.
Thanks Meta4!

After years of using Affinity Photo I gave in and subscribed to Lightroom after buying my Mini 2. I never needed to process DNGs before and after seeing a post on the DJI forums about lens distortion I ended up down a rabbit hole of lens profiles, open source databases and more.

Affinity Photo is great, but it's RAW engine doesn't have a lens profile for most DJI drones (it has a couple available) and won't use the one in the file so there's distortion and some vignetting. If you are on a Mac or iPad you can change it's RAW engine over to Apple's Core Image RAW engine which does use the in-built profile. The only issue here is that the routine to remove hot pixels doesn't run when using this RAW engine so dark/night shots can end up looking pretty terrible, full of red & green pixels.

Darktable has a similar issue as it uses the same lens database as the Affinity Photo RAW engine, which is Lensfun. I haven't done significant research but I couldn't easily find a free/cheap app that uses the inbuilt lens profile and cleans up hot pixels. Hence, somewhat reluctantly subscribing to the £9.99 Lightroom/Photoshop bundle.
I intend to look at Polarr next to see how that stacks up.

Just finished up with Polarr.

Web version: Edits the DNG preview file so unusable for DNG (happy to be corrected if I've missed something here)
MacOS version: Loads up the actual DNG file fine. Appears to be using the in-built lens profile via the Apple RAW engine so distortion-wise it looks great. Doesn't clean up any hot pixels so dark/night pictures are unusable without significant work to clean them up by hand.

After years of using Affinity Photo I gave in and subscribed to Lightroom after buying my Mini 2. I never needed to process DNGs before and after seeing a post on the DJI forums about lens distortion I ended up down a rabbit hole of lens profiles, open source databases and more.

Affinity Photo is great, but it's RAW engine doesn't have a lens profile for most DJI drones (it has a couple available) and won't use the one in the file so there's distortion and some vignetting. If you are on a Mac or iPad you can change it's RAW engine over to Apple's Core Image RAW engine which does use the in-built profile. The only issue here is that the routine to remove hot pixels doesn't run when using this RAW engine so dark/night shots can end up looking pretty terrible, full of red & green pixels.

Darktable has a similar issue as it uses the same lens database as the Affinity Photo RAW engine, which is Lensfun. I haven't done significant research but I couldn't easily find a free/cheap app that uses the inbuilt lens profile and cleans up hot pixels. Hence, somewhat reluctantly subscribing to the £9.99 Lightroom/Photoshop bundle.
I intend to look at Polarr next to see how that stacks up.
You will be happy with Lightroom. I haven't tried it on the Mini 2 yet, but the lens profiles of a lot of different lens are there, and it only costs $9.99 a month for it and Photoshop.

You will be happy with Lightroom. I haven't tried it on the Mini 2 yet, but the lens profiles of a lot of different lens are there, and it only costs $9.99 a month for it and Photoshop.
Yeah, it took me a moment to get my head round how it operates (I was used to developing DNGs in Affinity Photo at that point) but it’s super easy to get good looking pictures from it.

Little bit torn between using CC vs Classic but seeing as a photographer friend using Classic just lost a few hundred shots from a job which would have been safe had they been using CC I might just stick with it for now.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MemphisDrone