DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Let’s Talk Tablets

Hello all, my question is in regards to “Find my drone” option in the DJI Fly app. If your iPad mini is wifi only and no gps, will the “find my drone“ option still work if the drone is lost?

YES it should
when you use a phone, and you look for a lost drone, the gps in the phone will track your movements towards the lost drone but there is not gps in a Wi-Fi only tablet so it can’t track your progress in your search. Another problem is if you don’t cache a map of the area in your tablet while you have Wi-Fi then you are really pooched. Is my assessment Correct?

Reactions: NOLADG
when you use a phone, and you look for a lost drone, the gps in the phone will track your movements towards the lost drone but there is not gps in a Wi-Fi only tablet so it can’t track your progress in your search. Another problem is if you don’t cache a map of the area in your tablet while you have Wi-Fi then you are really pooched. Is my assessment Correct?

Okay. I have never had to use. Find my drone. But I think some how some way it is built into the drone or app. I am sure that someone will jump up and correct me if I am wrong

Bought an Ipad Mini 4. Very disappointed. It was not very bright, the aspect ratio was wrong so there was was a lot of wasted space for the screen size. Sold it and got a Samsung S5e. Bigger brighter screen, GPS included, cost less than the Ipad. Works great.

Yes. You are correct! I just had this situation pop up. My drone clipped the top of the tree and went down in a wooded area while connected to an iPad 2. I wasn't certain where it was. Fortunately it was still on. I could see its location on the map, but it wasn't that helpful. I could have used a hot spot from my phone to view the map better, but instead, I just switched to my phone on the controller and could see my movements in relation to the drone.

Reactions: Rex Peters
... and got a Samsung S5e. Bigger brighter screen, GPS included, ...

I was also thinking about a Samsung S5e

Do you use any tablet mount? Maybe you can propose one which works fine with the S5e.

Thx

I was also thinking about a Samsung S5e

Do you use any tablet mount? Maybe you can propose one which works fine with the S5e.

Thx

I use the S5e and the mount I use is from MavMount.

Reactions: tiwag
I worked in Tech support and hate working with iPads but when comes to flying my drone I have an iPad Mini 5.
IMG_20200714_074432.jpg

Reactions: Platinum 4 ever
iPad 6th gen (2018) 9.7" - wifi only. This is a pretty big tablet, and some might consider it unwieldy, but with a MavMount and the neck lanyard, it's awesome. As with most standard LCDs, viewing is troublesome in bright sunlight, so I usually set up near a tree or similar. I tried some aftermarket glare reducers, but the ones I tried were shat and ended up in the dustbin. Pic of this tablet and mount in my backpack (drone is under the tablet). Even though the tablet is large, it fits in backpack without removing it from mount (it's dedicated for the task).

I started with phone - just too small. Then an iPad 2 mini, which resulted in jerky video after a few minutes when the tablet got hot. The processor in that one just wasn't up to the task. I blamed the cable etc, but it was definitely the tablet.

If you're over 40 yr old, bigger is better. 20/20 vision, where did you go?

1597581827588.png

As a retired disabled Veteran, I hated to put the money out, but found that the overall best tablet I've used is the Ipad Air. Pricey but fast with a beautiful display. Worth the money.

I have an iPad Air 2 ,which I have not yet connect. What is the cable you need? Can you get them from DJI?

51Drones just posted this about the best and worst tablets mounts.

I've been using an Ipad mini4 for a while and had no issues until lately. After an update of the Ipad mini4 and an update to the latest firmware for the Maviz 2 zoom, the only thing I find is that my zoom range doesn't show while zooming. It doesn't show numbers anymore. But on my LG V30+ phone, I still have numbers when I zoom. No other issues with the Ipad mini4, but I hear the mini 5 is much faster with a better processor.

Reactions: Platinum 4 ever
I use a mini5 WiFi and this is my solution to this.
I always have my iPhone with me that has cellular, I tether my iPad to the phone so I get maps etc...if you ever lose your drone go to find my drone, tap and hold the last location of the drone, then share that location to the phone using air drop.
The phone beeps, open that location in maps, and it will direct you straight to the drone location.

glad I didn’t drop another £100 to get the cellular version of the iPad.

Reactions: Rex Peters
I use a mini5 WiFi and this is my solution to this.
I always have my iPhone with me that has cellular, I tether my iPad to the phone so I get maps etc...if you ever lose your drone go to find my drone, tap and hold the last location of the drone, then share that location to the phone using air drop.
The phone beeps, open that location in maps, and it will direct you straight to the drone location.

glad I didn’t drop another £100 to get the cellular version of the iPad.
When you say you tether your phone to your tablet, what exactly do you mean? Do you use your phone as a hot spot?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d