DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Let this guy know how misleading he is...

I don't have 30 minutes to listen to this video. Where does he say this? I have no problem reaching out to him, but I do want to assume.

Vic he's speaking on a GLOBAL basis and not really saying exactly what the OP is saying. He is specific many times talkin about "other countries" etc etc.

While he's not my go-to for YT content his stuff isn't bad or intentionally misleading at all.

I guess you didn't see 5m 36s in the vid above. I really like this guy and find him informative but I don't understand why he would say that.
If you listen to the end of the sentence he states to fly responsibly.

If you listen to the end of the sentence he states to fly responsibly.
I heard that too, but he still said you can fly it any place you want with no flight restrictions whcih I don't think is true at all...surely you can't legally fly it in no fly areas.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
I heard that too, but he still said you can fly it any place you want with no flight restrictions whcih I don't think is true at all...surely you can't legally fly it in no fly areas.

He's not speaking from a LEGAL stand point. He's more-or-less speaking from a GeoFencing type of issue.

I guess you didn't see 5m 36s in the vid above. I really like this guy and find him informative but I don't understand why he would say that.

He literally says, "It's up to YOU the PILOT to be RESPONSBILE". There is no half speak etc. He's merely stating the facts.

i have only one thing to say with regards to geofencing, and whether or not you hate it or love it
if you purchase a DJI drone ,then you know before you make that purchase, that if you have done your due diligence, and researched what those restrictions mean ,then you will need to accept those restrictions ,
if you dont want to accept those restrictions ,then do not purchase a DJI drone ,end of story
with regards to the comments made by the OP then i think its his interpretation of what was said in the video ,nothing more ,and this forum is not really the place to comment on such things

He literally says, "It's up to YOU the PILOT to be RESPONSBILE". There is no half speak etc. He's merely stating the facts.
Okay, but I could see someone hearing it as this drone has no restrictions...like I say, I like the guy but I can see how it could be misleading to a newb looking for their 1st drone.

Reactions: BigAl07
Okay, but I could see someone hearing it as this drone has no restrictions...like I say, I like the guy but I can see how it could be misleading to a newb looking for their 1st drone.
Its exactly what he means, there are drones you can run out and buy right now that will fly anywhere.. including the one he was talking about. The only way he could have said it better is to in more detail qualify the potential dangers and pitfalls of flying an unrestricted drone somewhere it did not belong.. He merely indicated to fly responsibly without qualification.

As new &tougher regulations were in the forecast they took it upon themselves (maybe not accurately) to install GeoFencing to try and keep their product on the cutting edge and to PREVENT their product from being the one showing on the evening news flying into an airport etc.
Big Al is so right and that was one of the things that impressed me about DJI when I first got interested in drones.

DJI fencing existed as far back as P3 but was different than now. According to the included documentation, it was an inverted cone from a significant airport. It never imposed a restriction near my class D airspace until authorization zones were introduced.

I feel his wording could have said the drone is capable of flying anywhere but applicable laws and rules should still be followed. Basically clearly distinguish technical limitations or lack thereof from legal ones.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
It is true that you can fly some without restrictions at all. He didn't say it was right or legal and he did say in the same sentence to be responsible.
I personally feel that this thread has gone on way too long for what it is. Captain Drone is all about the drone community and spreading good knowledge. Sure, I guess he could have worded it different and be perfectly clear for everyone but wow. What he said was true and not spreading lies. The original post seemed to be a "lets lynch the guy" with OUR views when it was only one persons opinion.

Last edited:
DJI was tryin to (and succeeded GREATLY) become the WORLD market leader in consumer grade UAS. As new &tougher regulations were in the forecast they took it upon themselves (maybe not accurately) to install GeoFencing to try and keep their product on the cutting edge and to PREVENT their product from being the one showing on the evening news flying into an airport etc. From a Big Picture standpoint they made the right decision and far more people Approve of and Appreciate the "half way decent" GeoFencing than those who do not. Our forum members & posts are slightly jaded as the vast majority of us come/came here because of a problem or grudge to begin with.

On a side note... I wonder how many UNKNOWING Dangerous/Illegal flights (legitimately) have been kept from happening because of DJI GeoFening? I'd say A LOT!

"Maybe the FAA gives them some sort of perk?" LOL! That's a good one :) If they were in bed with the FAA their GeoFencing would be a lot more accurate and mimic the FAA's restrictions a lot more closely.
Yep I agree. A little off topic but I'm also amazed that many DJI owners think DJI geofencing allows you to fly anywhere you want IF the geofencing doesn't stop you. Wonder how many would say that is misleading?

But overall I don't mind geofencing at all. I often fly off an active muni runway and have to heed the warnings...not a big deal IMO. At least I'm warned even if I know the rules. A buddy I fly with said he tried to fly his mavic air but it wouldn't take off. After telling me where he was, I told him he was next to a very active forestry airport. The software stopped him from making a poor choice where to fly and I suggested he do a little of research about airspace.

Reactions: BigAl07
Yep I agree. A little off topic but I'm also amazed that many DJI owners think DJI geofencing allows you to fly anywhere you want IF the geofencing doesn't stop you.
This is one of the biggest issues with DJI's GEO Fencing. People consider it the final arbiter of FAA permission (in the US).

We run up against this frequently in the forums and in FAA educational "opportunities".

Better than no arbiter at all. By that I mean not checking official sources at all.
Flysafe database often includes TFRs if the TFR is published far enough in advance. I'm sure many of us are guilty of overlooking those. I don't think Airmap or Kittyhawk account for those.

And I bet the forestry airport wasn't controlled airspace. Just because it's G doesn't make it safe.
Class E airspace but at the time the whole area was covered by a TFR due to fires. He didn't have a clue about TFR's either. My point is there are many out there that don't know about the NAS and how to navigate in it correctly. I flew fixed wing at an AMA site before I purchased my first drone and was just as ignorant. After the rule change a few years back I took it on myself to learn about flying in the NAS.
I were ignorant to the FAA rules, the guy in the video using the word restrictions might have swayed me into thinking that it meant you can fly anywhere at anytime. But today I know enough about the rules to know he's talking about geofencing.

Thanks for the video link. I subscribed to his channel. I think you really misunderstood what he was saying as he was only referring to the restrictions that manufacturer imposes.

Reactions: Platinum 4 ever
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jlhdez