DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Let this guy know how misleading he is...

Papabri

Reactions

Check out the reviews by “Captain Drone”, who is telling viewers that certain drone models have “no flight restrictions” or “you can fly this wherever you want”. Further, he disses DJI because they have drones that won’t allow you to take off. I’ve already given him my two cents worth. Join me in letting CaptainDrone how wrong he is. He should not be spreading wrong info to anyone, most especially those new to the hobby.

You would have to express your opinions on his channel not here
unless he is a member. He would never see them if he wasn’t. ?

You know he fly's and owns DJI drones right? I don't recall him saying you can fly wherever you want. And if you understand context, there are a lot of drones that have no flight restrictions, just look at FPV drones. Drones with "no flight restrictions" can mean the drone itself does not have any, not that there are not laws restricting where you fly. And, I own DJI drones myself and despise that they limit where you can fly, instead of taking your money and putting the responsibility of your actions on you, where they belong.

I own DJI drones myself and despise that they limit where you can fly, instead of taking your money and putting the responsibility of your actions on you, where they belong.
I can understand where that might be a issue for some but I find it a plus. Look at all that buy these things that never do any research
and if not restricted could really mess up.
I mean like parents buy their kid one for Christmas and really not
being his fault they live by a airport and he just charges it up
and off he goes. ?‍♂️

At the end of the video he did say that his no. 1, favorite and recommended drone is the DJI Mavic Air 2.

He probably meant that the app of the other drones does not have any geo fencing restrictions unlike that of DJI.

Factually, it is correct but he could have said it better and avoid any misunderstanding or misimpressions

I watched his videos extensively before I bought my first drone... which was a bust. What he does not say in any of the videos that I watched that, with many brands/models if you break it there is nowhere in the US to repair it and it either gets shipped to China for $50-$60 US, not including return shipping if required plus the cost of repairs, not to mention the huge amount of time you'll be without a drone as it crosses the Pacific- twice.

who is telling viewers that certain drone models have “no flight restrictions” or “you can fly this wherever you want”.
Which is perfectly correct, those drones don't prevent you from doing so.
Doesn't mean you're allowed to, just that they're not going to prevent you.

It's totally relevant given that when the drone has mechanisms to prevent you from flying it always also gets some things wrong and doesn't let you fly in zones where you're actually allowed to.

Last edited:
Reactions: RMS001 and Tufargon
Captain Drone is one of the many reviewers that I check you. I make up my own mine but check out the specs then hear what others say.
It requires way to much effort to dispute anyone.
I stop that a couple years before I retired.
I just ask them the Dr. Phil question..... "How's that working for you?"

Check out the reviews by “Captain Drone”, who is telling viewers that certain drone models have “no flight restrictions” or “you can fly this wherever you want”. Further, he disses DJI because they have drones that won’t allow you to take off. I’ve already given him my two cents worth. Join me in letting CaptainDrone how wrong he is. He should not be spreading wrong info to anyone, most especially those new to the hobby.

I have been a subscriber to captain drone for years... He is the most honest and respected you tuber out there. Perhaps you have a personal axe to grind with the guy ??? If so this forum is not the place for that nonsense

Captain Drone has been making videos for a long time and understands there are flight restrictions we all have to obey. I'm sure his comments were related to the capability of the drone, meaning there are no manufacturer programming limitations installed that will prevent you from flying into or taking off while in controlled airspace. The responsibility for knowing where and when you can fly rest with you the pilot.

I don't think Captain Drone is misleading at all and I believe he is a very ethical flyer. When he said there are no restrictions and you can fly anywhere you want he also mentioned that you have to be responsible in the same sentence. I went with Autel with my first drone because of hearing about the limitations on DJI. Also DJI's limitations/NFZ's were often reported as being incorrect many times. At the very least Autel let me be a responsible flyer on my own and overall made me a more aware pilot because I had to do the research on my own instead of an app telling me something that was incorrect.

Last edited:

You should comment on Captain Drone's youtube channel it you have a problem, not here. Captain Drone has 171,000 subscribers so he must be doing a good with his drone channel. It is up to the drone owner to read the owners manual to whichever drone they own, the Manuals have guidance for what is safe flying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jvangurp
I like his reports. And I note that he said at least twice, when referring to NFZs, that pilots should act responsibly. The fact is that DJI’s app sometimes gets it wrong, and there are pros who go out on important jobs with a second drone that doesn’t enforce NFZs, just in case their DJI won’t take off.

I don't have 30 minutes to listen to this video. Where does he say this? I have no problem reaching out to him, but I do want to assume.

You know he fly's and owns DJI drones right? I don't recall him saying you can fly wherever you want. And if you understand context, there are a lot of drones that have no flight restrictions, just look at FPV drones. Drones with "no flight restrictions" can mean the drone itself does not have any, not that there are not laws restricting where you fly. And, I own DJI drones myself and despise that they limit where you can fly, instead of taking your money and putting the responsibility of your actions on you, where they belong.
I agree. DJI SELLS Nanny Drones. They are probably some of the best, but I just hate the RESTRICTIONS. They need internet, you have to identify yourself. DJI IS NUTS. BUT, I have all the DJI ITERATIONS, EXCEPT THE MINI 2. I like them the most. That said, I bought the EVO2 PRO 6K. IT BLOWS AWAY DJI. NO RESTRICTIONS, EXCEPT ALTITUDE. IT FLIES LONGER TOO.

Reactions: RMS001
I agree. DJI SELLS Nanny Drones. They are probably some of the best, but I just hate the RESTRICTIONS. They need internet, you have to identify yourself. DJI IS NUTS. BUT, I have all the DJI ITERATIONS, EXCEPT THE MINI 2. I like them the most. That said, I bought the EVO2 PRO 6K. IT BLOWS AWAY DJI. NO RESTRICTIONS, EXCEPT ALTITUDE. IT FLIES LONGER TOO.
At a much greater price..... It's like Cox Communication, I live in Phoenix, AZ, they have a monopoly on high speed, reliable, for the most part, internet and they give two (deleted by moderator) about customer service. DJI does have it locked down on affordability vs features. I have a MPP that can fly anywhere but it comes down to me to make sure it's legal to fly, it's called adulthood, and it sucks...

And, I own DJI drones myself and despise that they limit where you can fly, instead of taking your money and putting the responsibility of your actions on you, where they belong.
you should be familiar with the term "Deep Pockets" it's very big in aviation.

There has to be a reason behind DJIs choice to create drones with so many checks and balances. I wonder if the US government gives them some sort of tariff reduction or easier FCC and or patent licensing. They know their restrictions reduce their market share to a degree, but they do it anyway. I don't see any financial benefit. Maybe, they have product insurance policies, that are lower in price due to the safety measures they put in place. Maybe the FAA gives them some sort of perk?

There has to be a reason behind DJIs choice to create drones with so many checks and balances. I wonder if the US government gives them some sort of tariff reduction or easier FCC and or patent licensing. They know their restrictions reduce their market share to a degree, but they do it anyway. I don't see any financial benefit. Maybe, they have product insurance policies, that are lower in price due to the safety measures they put in place. Maybe the FAA gives them some sort of perk?

You aren't able to see the forest for the trees.

DJI was tryin to (and succeeded GREATLY) become the WORLD market leader in consumer grade UAS. As new &tougher regulations were in the forecast they took it upon themselves (maybe not accurately) to install GeoFencing to try and keep their product on the cutting edge and to PREVENT their product from being the one showing on the evening news flying into an airport etc. From a Big Picture standpoint they made the right decision and far more people Approve of and Appreciate the "half way decent" GeoFencing than those who do not. Our forum members & posts are slightly jaded as the vast majority of us come/came here because of a problem or grudge to begin with.

On a side note... I wonder how many UNKNOWING Dangerous/Illegal flights (legitimately) have been kept from happening because of DJI GeoFening? I'd say A LOT!

"Maybe the FAA gives them some sort of perk?" LOL! That's a good one :) If they were in bed with the FAA their GeoFencing would be a lot more accurate and mimic the FAA's restrictions a lot more closely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobsuruncle