DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Let us beat this to death a Bit more

You can find a list of supported and commonly used iPads here:
Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO (Updated Daily)

I don’t mean to offend .....
I’m a android user struggling with switching over to a new drone new OS ( I recently started IPhone 7+
As my main communication with the world)

I like your posts most have to much generic info I need real word what works for the majority members when flying/Crashing Mavic 2 Pro

Sorry don’t mean to effend....cR

Need help understanding my list?

- The devices with a green dot are devices DJI supports for DJI GO 4. So, that means you'll want an iPad Mini 4 or iPad Mini 5 if you go with an iPad Mini.

- DJI supports all of the iPads on the list. The new iPad models are brighter (as you can see by the "Bright" column), so you'll want to choose a newer model if that matters. The newer models are also faster.

- The "Likes" column shows the devices people are using. Newer devices will likely have less votes since they haven't been on the list as long.

Have no budget? Then go with the newest available iPad or iPad Mini model.

I find the iPad Mini to be about the right size. Bigger than my iPhone, but not so big that it becomes clumsy handling it with the controller. I bought the most recent incarnation, which I think is the Mini 5. I am not 100% sure if it makes much difference, but I also went with the largest memory when I bought mine. Perhaps someone who knows the Go 4 App and iOS better can comment on the memory item.

I have been very happy with my setup, but also admit that I am pretty new to this. The only thing I wish for is a better mount system that still allows me to see the small screen on the Remote Controller. All the good sturdy mounts place the iPad right over the RC. I tried a couple that place the iPad up above the RC, but they let the iPad flop around too much for my liking, and made the whole setup awkward to hold. But honestly, that is a pretty minor gripe as all the info on the RC screen is also on the GO 4 display....

I purchased/use the 2019 version of the iPad Air. Works flawlessly and the larger 10.5 inch screen is nice. I love the choice I made. BTW, that was my first Apple product. I've been a Samsung guy for years but my S Tab 2 was not compatible.

Reactions: charliesRig
I use an iPad Air 2 with LTE. It’s bright enough that I generally do not have trouble seeing the screen unles the sun is directly overhead. I have no problem searching out a shady spot though if it’s too bad. I know some of the newer iPads have brighter displays but for the money, this Air 2 works perfectly fine. It’s 9.7” screen is just the right size for a solid iPad mount in your controller. It’s not too big or too small. I owned an iPad mini before the Air 2 and I’m glad I upgraded from the mini. The screen is just not quite big enough to satisfy my desires.

I find the iPad Mini to be about the right size. Bigger than my iPhone, but not so big that it becomes clumsy handling it with the controller. I bought the most recent incarnation, which I think is the Mini 5. I am not 100% sure if it makes much difference, but I also went with the largest memory when I bought mine. Perhaps someone who knows the Go 4 App and iOS better can comment on the memory item.

I have been very happy with my setup, but also admit that I am pretty new to this. The only thing I wish for is a better mount system that still allows me to see the small screen on the Remote Controller. All the good sturdy mounts place the iPad right over the RC. I tried a couple that place the iPad up above the RC, but they let the iPad flop around too much for my liking, and made the whole setup awkward to hold. But honestly, that is a pretty minor gripe as all the info on the RC screen is also on the GO 4 display....

8" is perfect for balance. You can still carry it one hand, no lanyard.
And you can still see your LCD display (or not if you like as the holder is offset)
It's slim pickings but if just for flying, id get a 8"

A lot of people with 10" tab's just install the holder in backwards, thusly to get the LCD view.
You might need a rubber band or zip tie depending on the holder model
maxresdefault.jpg

I to am struggling with this question . I use an iPhone XR . Everything works fine but it’s just not big or bright enough .

A few days ago I flew on a very dull day and I could not believe the difference in the whole experience . The dull day let me see and feel more in control . I plan to use the drone for predator spotting ( fox) so I need to be able to see the screen very well .
I’ve got to find something bigger but not to big and a lot brighter . Leaning towards mini4 or 5 iPad . Will stay with iOS just to make things simple I think .

Any one got any pics of a setup like this to post

Quebecnewf

Why swap?
If you wanted to stay with what you know, the Huawei M5 is as good (or better) than any iPad for a flying tablet.

Correct, its excellent. I use that and my older M3 and both are fantastic. 8.4" screen is a nice combination of portability and ease of viewing.
They're not easy to see in bright sunlight but no tablet or phone is - for that its Crystal Sky.

@charliesRig hi CR as you know from an earlier post, i recently went from android to IOS and purchased a 6th gen ipad 9.7 inch screen 32gb wifi at a great price
my main reason for this was simply the screen size for the money i paid for it ,my old eyes were finding it harder to see my android screen .
the ipad is so much brighter and much easier to see, i did the same as i did with my android and disabled all apps not needed for the go 4 app also i disable cache to device i never used it on my other one, i did not have any problems with my android device and really it is a personal choice which system you use but after flying with my new set upi i am glad i took the plunge and changed to IOS

Correct, its excellent. I use that and my older M3 and both are fantastic. 8.4" screen is a nice combination of portability and ease of viewing.
They're not easy to see in bright sunlight but no tablet or phone is - for that its Crystal Sky.
i think that which ever type of screen you use some type of hood is a must in summer sunlight conditions, the biggest factor against the Crystal Sky for me is the cost for what it is, i cant justify that amount even though i can afford it

Ive found hoods annoying - they make the whole setup substantially less portably and more bulky to use as well as removing all situational awareness around you.
Constantly looking into it for the screen and out from it at the drone makes it fiddly with sunglasses on in bright conditions as well.
Crystal sky is crazy expensive admittedly, thats why i never bought one BUT they are excellent if you can justify it.

Id like a smart controller but they've been impossible to buy for about 2 months or so now so i need alternatives.

I need help what Ipad i should Purches for my M2P
.. Sorry......cR
I suggest, the one that fits to your budget.

I use a four year old "no name" tablet from a discounter, sold at the time for €79. Does what it should do, so why pay more?

I have used the iPad Mini 4 for the Mavic and the Mavic 2 Pro. Works great. Only limitation is in bright light. I recently purchased the DJI Smart Controller (1000 NITS, same as the Crystal Sky High Bright) and am so much happier. Keep the iPad in the case as a back-up. I also added a Thor Mount and put on the Feelworld FW279 Monitor (2200 NITS, brighter than the Crystal Sky Ultra Bright). It can be set up to show the Camera View only without the controller details so You can see the full screen. Several options available to you. If you go for the iPad with cell service, you will be paying close to the Smart Controller ($549) so you might be better with the SC. Just some food for thought. Good luck with whichever way you go.

1565095529471.png1565095529471.png

Hehe, Nice. Like a Nintendo DS. (Im guessing the ultra bright screen isn't touch?)
2000 nits, that is crazy. Surprised never heard of it
Pity you need a SC, CS or Shield to use it.

msinger..
Great info Thank you for that (on my phone) I can't see the whole Spread sheet
Can see it now on My Laptop

when i posted this thread
I had just back from Flying M2P
I was being ask what Ipad I would use from a" Apple guy" (Room mate)
I couldn't come up with an answer on the fly

RWD ,PureBlue,
Thank for your imput ...I have struggled with Pad mounts have a few that will not work with new controler
Meta4
It's not a swap but more of a setup for the M2P
I'm using NEXUS 7 it works well Just like Bigger Screen for these old eye's
Because of the New controller I will also have to Buy Another Mount

When i fly My MP1 I use BT300 Moverio Having dailed in for that Drone I'm not going to change that setup
HuckleBerry,
Mavic FT1P (Thanks for the picture)
gnirtS
Screen Size Is the main reason I'm thinking 8-9" would not do it
I was reading
old Man Mavic
Thread about his new IOS set up 9.7 screen 32 Gig Cheep.
I've got a couple of Apple People in my world for "Tech support"
and using a S-7 (non Plus) phone I'm ramping up on IOS
I'll give that a shot

gnirts
I agree I have Hood's But not use them

Olav van Gervan
Yes keeping budget in mind
HoiserDroneDaddy
Thanks for the Picture
Thanks all for your feedback
......cR

Reactions: old man mavic
I purchased a MavMount for my 12.9" iPad Pro and it's simply too big and heavy. The mount barely tightens enough to keep it in place. I never use it, so would not recommend going that large. My buddy has a standard iPad with a hood and the hood makes a huge difference on sunny days.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure