DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Let's Cancel in Protest!

It's a bummer DJI is so far off on their shipping dates.... I had vacations and ideas I could use the drone for, and now they're are squashed......

Anyway, being a first timer, I was thinking of ordering a cheaper drone to practice flying until my nice expensive Mavic Pro comes in.... Any thoughts on this idea??

It's a good idea. Search "best $100 drone" on YouTube as I remember seeing one that was very impressive for that price.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I bought the Syma XC5 from Amazon for about $40. It even has a 2MP camera. Also bought 6 extra batteries for $20 (A must as each battery only lasts about 7 minutes. Seems short, but is totally acceptable for the Syma and when you have a supply of batteries). Also bought a Lipo bag and voltage tester. What a fun toy! I wish I had bought one of these a long time ago.

This was definitely the move. I have been flying it as much as I can for the past month. Gotten pretty good at it. When I started I was terrible . Would definitely not want to fly a Mavic green. Don't be that guy... Even though it almost flies itself, I am a firm believer of learning the hard way before taking the shortcuts. Start in a wide open space and with little wind, if possible. Do not go too high too soon or you will lose it. Also respect the Lipo batteries. Do not charge immediately after a flight when battery is warm.

It may seem tedious, but there are some good pointers out there on YouTube for new fliers. Practice basic maneuvers, hover, fly from point a to point B. Fly at every angle, precision landings. Before you know it, you will be doing banked turns, figure eights, practicing taking video and snapshots.

Happy Flying!

Anyway, being a first timer, I was thinking of ordering a cheaper drone to practice flying until my nice expensive Mavic Pro comes in.... Any thoughts on this idea??

Same here, Mavic will be my first drone as well and I decided last week to pick up a toy drone just to familiarise myself with the control (and temporary shifting my attention from waiting for the Mavic =p)

I bought a Hubsan X4 H170 Plus (no camera, just plain RTF drone which is quite small to use and practice indoor) but you can get the one with camera for not much more, the H170C+

https://www.amazon.com/Hubsan-Camera-Plus-H107C-Quadcopter/dp/B015A48W5K

Another really good one (but slightly more expensive option) is the Blade Nano QX, which is pretty hard to get in my country.

Sent from MavicPilot iOS app

Tiny whoop is probably the best $100 drone for practicing especially Indoor flying. I fly my Phantom when weather is good. But during bad weather(hot, cold, rain), I love to fly my tiny whoops around the house.

Attachments

• IMG_9825 (1).JPG
    IMG_9825 (1).JPG
    665.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_9874.JPG
    IMG_9874.JPG
    980.2 KB · Views: 60
I think everyone who ordered before October 26, 2016 should cancel their Mavic Pro order in protest.

I ordered mine on that day and it might help move me up in the queue:)

I canceled my order today through best buy. I needed to change my shipping address and it was very difficult for them to do so I just cancelled I told him there's too many issues going on and it just sounds like a bad Vibe so I will wait.

Tiny whoop is probably the best $100 drone for practicing especially Indoor flying. I fly my Phantom when weather is good. But during bad weather(hot, cold, rain), I love to fly my tiny whoops around the house.
Agreed, they are a blast so stock up on the little lipos ;0)

FC615B7F-694A-4816-857C-A1A613938219.jpg

579F1CC1-411A-47EE-8983-58D548B910DB.jpg

Reactions: dlsteg
I can wait, and it may be advantageous. Plenty of time for DJI to update their "wares", watch current Mavic pilots do some test flying for me online, and learn from everyone here...

I can wait, and it may be advantageous. Plenty of time for DJI to update their "wares", watch current Mavic pilots do some test flying for me online, and learn from everyone here...

Now that's pure wisdom there! Thumbswayup

Now that's pure wisdom there! Thumbswayup

Wisdom thru fatal errors with my Phantom 2+. I was new to any and all serious RC vehicles, and was suckered by DJI into believing I could fly their newest quad, so I dove in. Perfect first flights. Then the first crash, tip-over...after that, I learned a lot about ESC speed boards, and IMU's, and friggin' copper shield-mods.....Should have waited, learned from the hobbyists' trials, and purchased a Hubsan practice quad. Now I'm here, waiting for The Mavic, practiced and prepared.

Wisdom thru fatal errors with my Phantom 2+. I was new to any and all serious RC vehicles, and was suckered by DJI into believing I could fly their newest quad, so I dove in. Perfect first flights. Then the first crash, tip-over...after that, I learned a lot about ESC speed boards, and IMU's, and friggin' copper shield-mods.....Should have waited, learned from the hobbyists' trials, and purchased a Hubsan practice quad. Now I'm here, waiting for The Mavic, practiced and prepared.

I hear you buddy! I've never had a drone (yet), but have flown R/C in the past, including a heli, but I'm not "practiced and prepared". As Clint used to say, "a man's got to know his limitations" and I do, so I'll be going slow and easy.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom