DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Let's hear it for the little guy!

Crayons

Reactions
Forums like this are, by their very nature, weighted towards problems, gripes and issues. That's usually why we come here. To get help or discuss an issue. So you can start to get the sense that the Mavic is somewhat flawed. But...

I just fell in love with this thing even more a moment ago. Why? Because it crashed. Or, more accurately, I flew it sideways into a tree trying to get a panning shot of a cow. I know. Fascinating stuff. Anyway, here's the thing:

This was no glancing blow. Attached is a pic of how I found it. Wedged and semi-folded. Total damage? ... 3 new props needed. That was it. Not even a scratch. I had 2 spare props and still had a shot I really wanted to get (not a cow) and only a short distance so I tentatively sent it up with a prop that had 1cm missing from one blade end. Only detectable difference was a slight rasping note to the usual buzz. And I finished shooting what I wanted.

DJI-bash all you like, in my experience the Mavic Pro is an amazingly well engineered marvel that is way tougher than we have a right to expect.

78593fb9d1abc130961e544db753de83.jpg

Try a brick wall next time and not a well designed fork in a tree to catch and coddle your baby.

You have a fair point with first part of your reply, but this second part is not helpful.

I do count myself lucky (and not just because I deserved to destroy the thing today) - and I understand people have had problems. I have had the common gimbal off-level issue. I just think it's good to also have some good news stories for reasons of balance as outlined in my original post.

2 "Crashes", 1 prop and a few small "nicks" is all. (Both my fault by the way) Indoors with RTH still on, the other way too low to the ground for the distance the Mavic was away from me, I missed a small tree branch off to the side, prop guard caught the branch and spun the Mavic into the grass. Waist high grass "weed" then wrapped around the rear prop motor, "sucked" it right down to the ground like a winch line! (What green mess to clean off) Use caution when you fly low over that stuff, airflow from the props blows it down then the area the prop attaches to winds it up faster than you can do anything about it. . .

Brick wall, nothing is going to take that impact. . . .

I can also attest to the durability of the Mavic. I lost connection while flying under a huge cypress tree. My Mavic went into RTH mode and chopped its way all the way thru some very thick branches. Leaves were flying everywhere. Only damage was a small crack in one of the props.

My Mavic flies great, no crashes to report. I'm glad I'm not the only one who videos cows. These are hamburger/steak cows like Crayons posted... No milk here. Not dairy cows.

Reactions: Path Finder
The Mavic has been a great machine for me. I use it several times a week to check/ locate livestock around the farm. Just getting up to 300-400 ft gives you a awesome view and saves a ton of time plus wear and tear on farm roads/vehicles driving all over looking for a cow or two that didn't come up at feeding time.

The battery life of 20-25 minutes didn't seem all that impressive to me on paper. Now in real life it's a lot of time in the air, most of the time I land in 12-18 minutes with 40% + battery still in the tank.

Hamilton, Newcastle? This is just outside of Jindabyne. I find it hard to distinguish one part of Aus from another even after 21 years here :)

Whoops. I was guessing Illawarra near Stawell, Western VIC.
Areas of gum tree country a bit like you scenes.
My Hamilton is just south of that.
Jindabyne area rather nice, but ages since I've been there.

A friend tells me he uses his Phantom to move cattle, which he thinks is a great use for it, but your cattle look too quiet. Do they react at all?

I can also attest to the durability of the Mavic. I lost connection while flying under a huge cypress tree. My Mavic went into RTH mode and chopped its way all the way thru some very thick branches. Leaves were flying everywhere. Only damage was a small crack in one of the props.

I flew into gum tree leaves by being a bit too sporty in sports mode.
It tumbled out and somehow magically it was back to hovering by the time it reached the ground, and cleverly self-landed.
No damage at all including props, but a covering of quite a few bits of mashed green leaf matter almost like the underneath of you rotary mower!
Another unplanned plus for Mavic!

Reactions: Crayons
I've been flying DJI kit since the Phantom 2. It's an awesum product. My Mavic has flown over 100 miles covering mainly MTB events for broadcast. It has flown in rain, mist and winds in excess of 33 km ph. It's never failed me. It's never just crashed... 99% of crashes and failures are because pilot error. Not the craft. The tech behind this piece of equipment is solid.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan