DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Let's start a phone compatibility megathread

Squish

Reactions
Hi all.

I haven't been able to find a similar thread to this, although frankly I've only looked in the Mavic Pro section as that's the relevant area.

On my Samsung Galaxy S5, I get terrible video feed quality with lagging of the video stream. Now as I understood it, even though it's a few years old now it's not exactly a slow phone. It handles pretty much anything else I would ever need it for (although I don't bother with mobile games).

For months I've been trying to get a better signal back to the phone, often, as I thought, getting ground interference at close distances but much more even signal at far distances.

It turns out that the signal is a-ok, and the mavic is feeding back data perfectly well. The problem is that the GS5 just can't seem to handle the data load coming while recording video + audio.
I've been through a couple of threads that were discussing this kind of problem with a few page fulls of hints - that's in fact what lead me to try something that ultimately allowed me to figure out the problem.
Turning off wifi/bluetooth has no effect on transmission performance for me (probably because it's more than adequate to begin with).

The video feed is mostly sharp at first, but rapid movement in the scene triggers large areas of corruption - akin to what you used to see in badly coded movie rips or damaged video files. I'll post some examples later on.

I've optimised my phone as much as possible, in terms of removing unnecessary crap and closing all additional threads/services. It's rooted also, so I have been able to force remove the Samsung & google bloatware as well. Changing the mavic's video recording settings has no impact on the cache side of things at all.

I tried using a Galaxy A5 (2017), which is a couple of years newer, and the difference is night and day. Full frame rate, no corruption of the video feed.
Rapid side to side movement had no loss of frames or corruption of the video feed.

A5 (2017) specs: Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017) - Full phone specifications
CPU: Octa-core 1.9 GHz Cortex-A53
Chipset: Exynos 7880 Octa

S5 specs: Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017) - Full phone specifications
CPU: Quad-core 2.5 GHz Krait 400
Chipset: Qualcomm MSM8974AC Snapdragon 801

If you'd like to add your phone I'm proposing this layout (but do it however you feel is appropriate)
Phone - OS version
Non-recording video cache:
Video (no audio) cache:
Video + audio cache:

1/5 - totally unusable
2/5 - bad, usable but expect video corruption and be ready to fly on map data/LOS
3/5 - Mostly usable with occasional glitching
4/5 - Suitable for everyday use, maybe some glitches occasionally or slight lag
5/5 - perfect, no problems at all

Samsung Galaxy S5, Android 5.0
Non-recording video cache: Clear, no corruption 4/5
Video (no audio) cache: occasional corruption of feed on large scene changes 3/5
Video + audio cache: large sections of screen corruption. Laggy and often overcorrecting when flying on video feed. 2/5

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters