DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Liability insurance (not homeowner's) for your drone?

I would like to ask the forum population if anybody carries a liability insurance policy specifically for your drone? I know my USAA homeowner's policy covers me for liability up to my limits and I also have an umbrella policy for above these general limits. My reason for asking this is that I am trying to get a permit to fly in the country of Chile and they require proof of liability insurance.

Please note, the insurance would have to cover liability to someone the drone might injure in a foreign country.

Dale
I'm a commercial pilot (107) so it was required and the best I found (and I looked hard) is Skywatch SkyWatch.AI - Drone Insurance | Liability & Hull Coverage One big reason is they allow you to "pause" your policy if you're not going to fly for a while. It's all done online and pretty easy. They also have good customer support

I would like to ask the forum population if anybody carries a liability insurance policy specifically for your drone? I know my USAA homeowner's policy covers me for liability up to my limits and I also have an umbrella policy for above these general limits. My reason for asking this is that I am trying to get a permit to fly in the country of Chile and they require proof of liability insurance. Please note, the insurance would have to cover liability to someone the drone might injure in a foreign country.

Dale
Dale, I think you need to be very careful to read the fine print in any drone liability insurance policy. Because my impression is that drone insurers may not insure you against any claim for damages arising from your own negligence or violation of any FAA rule or regulation.

Imagine if your auto insurance carrier told you we will pay for any damage or accident you cause while driving your car UNLESS its your fault, or you made a mistake, or you violated any traffic law, ordinance or policy or recommendation of a community based organization connected with driving (like AAA). How safe would you feel driving and how much would you pay for the policy?

Reference is to: Recreational Flying(~44809) is an "Exception" to Part 107 and if you don't abide by every aspect of ~44809 then you are accountable for ALL of Part 107.

I believe this means that if you are flying recreationally and make one mistake like exceeding 400 feet, not keeping eyes 100% on drone, not taking the TRUST, etc. etc. then you are considered a commercial pilot subject to every requirement in Part 107 and if you were not in full compliance then you were flying illegally and NO INSURANCE COVERAGE.

I would ask any drone insurance carrier how they define a fly-away or loss of control over drone and whether that is considered pilot error voiding coverage.

When you look at fine print in policy also look where it says any litigation over coverage must be filed. Can you file in your hometown where you bought the coverage online or do you have to go to Mogadishu where claim arose or maybe Aruba where the carrier is "headquartered?"

I very much enjoy your adventure and "stealth" photos and videos BTW. You seem to have a lot of fun and have great travels. Fly safe and stealthy and read the fine print!

Last edited:
Thanks for that and I certainly "get it." As a lifetime (birth until mid 20's) Chicagoan, I really get it. I lived through the Mayor Richard Daly era. Politicians suck. and that is the nicest thing I can say. My alternatives, as usual, are to take the drone and risk it, or leave it home. The continuous charade of trying to get a permit is useless. I went through this for Kenya, Tanzania, Dubai, Oman, and U.A.E. and all resulted in the same, months long rigamarole, eather to either a "no" or simply ignoring me. That's the reason for my own self-generated philosophy of "stealth" flying. another way of saying " f- you." I watched a beautiful film of a drone tour of Easter Island on You Tube, done before the draconian rules. Not a single human was seen in the footage. Just flying over monuments.

Rant over.

Dale
That's odd, I've had no issues with any of those countries you've mentioned. I've been to all of them and got approval within 3-5 days. Perhaps it's your approach? NO idea, but it is possible.
On a side topic seeing how it's been brought up, people like the feeling of stability and security. Government with democracy is 100% necessary to keep civility and order, or we'd be in a world like the "hunger games." and total CHAOS. It's not perfect by any means and often can be a pain, but unless you've lived somewhere dictators rule, and there is no "real government" like I have for several years in numerous countries, I guess you can't really appreciate what we have here in the USA.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gplunk99