DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why A Recreational Pilot Should Obtain a Commercial Drone License

It is somewhat unenforceable, but it's what the FAA was handed by Congress. Recreational flight is allowed a specific exception to 14 CFR Part 107, and roof inspection, even of your own roof, is clearly not recreational. The only viable alternative, if we want only enforceable laws, is to remove the recreational exception entirely and require everyone to follow Part 107. Would that be better?
Nope...not better. Just pointing out the stupidity of the situation, and I doubt there are a dozen drone pilots in the nation that have NOT checked out their roof, 107 be darned :). Congress mandated a stupid, unenforceable law? I'm shocked...

Nope...not better. Just pointing out the stupidity of the situation, and I doubt there are a dozen drone pilots in the nation that have NOT checked out their roof, 107 be darned :). Congress mandated a stupid, unenforceable law? I'm shocked...

Maybe so - but do you have an alternative, better suggestion for how this should have been framed?

Maybe so - but do you have an alternative, better suggestion for how this should have been framed?
It's not something I've concentrated on but something like allowing "non-commercial intent" would be close. No doubt there are myriad issues but any wording that disallows a drone pilot from simply checking his roof has room for improvement.

It's not something I've concentrated on but something like allowing "non-commercial intent" would be close. No doubt there are myriad issues but any wording that disallows a drone pilot from simply checking his roof has room for improvement.

Presumably Congress could have made that the criterion, but they were responding to the demands from the model aircraft lobby and I guess that no one had really ever used model aircraft to do things like roof inspection, so the current situation was never envisaged.

Maybe it is time for them to reconsider whether to change or clarify the exception. I suspect that wouldn't go well for recreational sUAS users though - I'd guess that they would simply narrow the definition back to RC model aircraft and remove most, if not all, sUAS from the exemption applicability criteria.

Got my certification in August. I'm not an Einstein here and thought it was one of the hardest tests I've ever taken but I got an 80% on it and I am totally happy I did it. I just started ground school for my pilot's license. I have always loved to fly and used to go up with my Uncle in his private prop plane. Getting my Section 107 cert was one of the best things I have done in a long time. It has greatly helped my real estate business big time. I love flying my drones as well and have a new hobby that I love and enjoy a lot. I have also created this as a new business as well and have already done several shots for clients. Getting this off the ground in about a 2 month time was fast and simple once you get the training to pass the exam. One thing I will say they test was a lot harder for me than what I thought it would be. The practice exams on the internet are BS and a waste of time. I paid for an online class and it was worth every penny for me. Sectional charts were all over my exam more than I thought would be on there... all the other laws etc are simple but weather was tricky too.... get the cert, you will be happy you did!

Reactions: sar104 and SethB
The idea that you need the 107 to inspect your roof or your neighbor's roof at no charge is like saying you need a commercial drivers license to drive yourself to work or give your neighbor a ride to his job. Total nonsense.

Nope. In fact, under strict reading of the regs, if you use your drone to inspect YOUR OWN roof for storm damage, that's not recreational.

I did exactly that a month back due to a massive storm here... thankfully I went ahead and got my Part 107 license even before I got my drone. Here's a shot of a plugged downspout.
Actually you don't have to have a 107 for this, but you have to follow the rules for it. Much like doing eleven on your own home w, but it all has to be code.

The idea that you need the 107 to inspect your roof or your neighbor's roof at no charge is like saying you need a commercial drivers license to drive yourself to work or give your neighbor a ride to his job. Total nonsense.
You don't, but the rules are the same.

Actually you don't have to have a 107 for this, but you have to follow the rules for it. Much like doing eleven on your own home w, but it all has to be code.
Wrong. The 107 is required for any flying that is not recreational. A roof inspection is not recreational flying. Below is from the FAA website. It's a statement they give to clarify what is and is not recreational flying. You cannot fly under 107 unless you have the 107 license.

• Note: Non-recreational purposes include things like taking photos to help sell a property or service, roof inspections, or taking pictures of a high school football game for the school's website. Goodwill or other non-monetary value can also be considered indirect compensation. This would include things like volunteering to use your drone to survey coastlines on behalf of a non-profit organization. Recreational flight is simply flying for fun or personal enjoyment.

Again, not accurate. That said I go back to my other statement. Requiring the 107 to do a roof inspection of your home or a neighbor's at no charge is like requiring an individual to have a commercial driver's license to drive to work or drop a friend off at their job. In my mind neither makes sense.

Recreational flight is simply flying for fun or personal enjoyment.
I find it personal enjoyment to check my roof with my drone being
i have a 2 story house with a chimney and don’t bounce no more
when I fall at my age. Might be wrong by the FAA but hey 🤷‍♂️

I find it personal enjoyment to check my roof with my drone being
i have a 2 story house with a chimney and don’t bounce no more
when I fall at my age. Might be wrong by the FAA but hey 🤷‍♂️
I think your idea of personal pleasure may conflict with the FAA's idea of person pleasure. Start climbing or hire me to do your roof inspection ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: dirkclod
No - it's nothing like that at all. Roof inspection is not recreational flying, whatever rules you choose to follow.

No - it's nothing like that at all. Roof inspection is not recreational flying, whatever rules you choose to follow.
However, if you just happen to fly a pattern over your roof for fun, and some days later decide to take a look at the video to see what your roof looks like, that would be okay. That sort of thing has been discussed here many times, it’s intent at the time of flight that determines the whether it’s commercial or recreational.

I see that this site is one of those where you have a group of fliers that have been here for a while and control the board. If
Wrong. The 107 is required for any flying that is not recreational. A roof inspection is not recreational flying. Below is from the FAA website. It's a statement they give to clarify what is and is not recreational flying. You cannot fly under 107 unless you have the 107 license.

• Note: Non-recreational purposes include things like taking photos to help sell a property or service, roof inspections, or taking pictures of a high school football game for the school's website. Goodwill or other non-monetary value can also be considered indirect compensation. This would include things like volunteering to use your drone to survey coastlines on behalf of a non-profit organization. Recreational flight is simply flying for fun or personal enjoyment.
I read that as well. when I took my 107 (Dec) They were very very specific on roofs and monetary compensation. I scored a 94% on the test. I feel that the paragraph up top is referring to business as in "Im inspecting this roof for a friend that is then going to quote the home owner" or "I am doing this shoreline survey and turning it into the department of Ecology free of charge"
There is a huge difference of "Hey man, can you look on the back 40 for my cow that got out?" and its your neighbor vs "Hey man, do you think you think you could take some pics of the back 40 for me? it will help with my appraisal"
Just my .02

You're actually wrong on both posts.

However, as stated above, there is the letter of the law and the spirit of the law. Inspecting your roof or someone else's roof is not a flight "flown strictly for recreational purposes" (49 USC §44809 (a)(1)).

No one is going to come after someone for inspecting their roof or their neighbors. It just won't happen.

I see that this site is one of those where you have a group of fliers that have been here for a while and control the board. If
No, this is a site that prefers to make sure people have the correct information.
I read that as well. when I took my 107 (Dec) They were very very specific on roofs and monetary compensation. I scored a 94% on the test. I feel that the paragraph up top is referring to business as in "Im inspecting this roof for a friend that is then going to quote the home owner" or "I am doing this shoreline survey and turning it into the department of Ecology free of charge"
You can "feel" whatever you want, but your feelings aren't a factor in determining the legality of the flight. And in your second example, it is most definitely an issue. That is 100% a 107 flight. Monetary compensation isn't the point. "flown strictly for recreational purpose" is. The only aspect of monetary compensation is that is disqualifies you for the recreational exception.
There is a huge difference of "Hey man, can you look on the back 40 for my cow that got out?" and its your neighbor vs "Hey man, do you think you think you could take some pics of the back 40 for me? it will help with my appraisal"
Just my .02
Again, your .02 isn't even worth that when it comes to whether or not you're correct in your assessment of the difference between 107 and 44809.

It's probably best if you familiarize yourself with the true rules instead of posting what you "feel" and offering your ".02" online. 14 CFR Part 107 is the default set of rules that EVERY UAS is flown under. In order to not fly under 107, you must fly under 44809, the "Exception for limited recreational operations of unmanned aircraft". Those rules are listed here: https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml...lim-title49-section44809&num=0&edition=prelim. You have to satisfy all 8 limitations (7 currently until (2) is published) in order to qualify. There are a couple more 107 exceptions, but those aren't part of this discussion.

So follow that link and read 44809 instead of relying on feelings and your own personal interpretations. It will likely keep you out of trouble, and you won't give bad advice to other folks, thus possibly being responsible for getting them in trouble.

Congratulations on getting your 107, but you're just beginning your journey. Getting your 107 is the first step. Learning the ins and outs of the rules and interpretations is on an ongoing quest. Listen to those of us who have had it much longer, and those of use to not only teach this stuff, but also counsel those who break those rules for the FAA.

Fly safe.

However, if you just happen to fly a pattern over your roof for fun, and some days later decide to take a look at the video to see what your roof looks like, that would be okay. That sort of thing has been discussed here many times, it’s intent at the time of flight that determines the whether it’s commercial or recreational.
Agreed. And the intent under discussion was a roof inspection.

Many good points are being made here. Your chances of prosecution are low, until its you. For 30 years I was kept in business by people that didn't think the rules applied to them.

I asked my family for a drone around Thanksgiving and realized that I knew nothing about drones or flying. So I began to teach myself the rules and regs that govern the flight of these machines. The more I learned the more I thought that getting a license was the way to go. I learned more in 30 days then I have in a long time.

So I studied with the intent to get my license, I was surprised that there was so little in the way of study guides. Went to my local library and there were books on building drones, but no part 107 studies. By using goverment websites and independent study I passed on Dec 22 with a 90%. All I did spend was $5.00 for the Peltier Tests, 5 bucks well spent. This was before I owned a drone.

The biggest problem that I'm having is situational awareness. This is proving to be more of a challenge to me then anything else. This is going to take lots of practice.
Stay safe

I see that this site is one of those where you have a group of fliers that have been here for a while and control the board.
To answer this I sorry but you are incorrect.
No one controls the board but staff.
Yes we do have long time posters that go back to our first forum
as I do. Don’t get affended by replys from members that have answered the same subject more times than I can count.
Sometimes answers might seem harsh but if you do a search on any subject you will see it’s been gone over time and time again.
No need to reply but you know why I did.
Sorry guys for this post but was necessary .
Now excuse me as the weather has just went crazy and going to
have and start a fire as its started sleeting here ( was in the 80’s
yesterday 🙄) and want to make sure my chimney is clear. 😀
Now carry on. ✌️

To answer this I sorry but you are incorrect.
No one controls the board but staff.
Yes we do have long time posters that go back to our first forum
as I do. Don’t get affended by replys from members that have answered the same subject more times than I can count.
Sometimes answers might seem harsh but if you do a search on any subject you will see it’s been gone over time and time again.
No need to reply but you know why I did.
Sorry guys for this post but was necessary .
Now excuse me as the weather has just went crazy and going to
have and start a fire as its started sleeting here ( was in the 80’s
yesterday 🙄) and want to make sure my chimney is clear. 😀
Now carry on. ✌️
That's why there should be stickies
It's where the questions that stand out stick out. Mini thread stickies why can't I connect to Dji fly app.
Or gimbal stuck. Or gps problems.
I like to read the stickies frist

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J