DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Light leaks, anyone?

dcpmark

Reactions
Ok, FINALLY got in my first test flight with my goggles, and everything went smoothly, and I didn't need reading glasses. Yay!

However, I found out that I must have a odd-shaped face, apparently, as I had some pretty distracting light leaks on either side. Did a search of this thread and didn't see any one here complain of that or offer up any fixes, so any ideas of what to do to eliminate them? Foam with some double stick tape, perhaps?

I don't have that issue honestly, but then again, I have a small header for my body.

I did too... you need to adjust how they sit on your face. First thing to do is set the goggles on your face, then pull the band around your head and cinch in place.

I was able to minimize most of the light leaks

Reactions: gcopter1
I did too... you need to adjust how they sit on your face. First thing to do is set the goggles on your face, then pull the band around your head and cinch in place.

I was able to minimize most of the light leaks

i tried that.....i simply can't position them in any way that makes the light leaks go away.

This might not be the most elegant solution but it is what I would try if I was having the problem.

Amazon.com: M-D Building Products 2113 Low Density Foam Tape, 1/2-by-3/4-Inch by 17 Feet, Gray: Home Improvement

It's low density so it should feel good and compress well.

Rob

Yep, I've decided I can fix this with some foam inserts....I just have to measure the inside and cut to fit. My plan is get some foam blocks and cut out large enough pieces to push the rubber moulding out a bit. I don't have the goggles in front of me, but I think I will need more than 1/2 inch thickness.

Reactions: Robbyg
@dcpmark I know its weird but I like to keep the back-strap part of the goggles very "low" at the back of my head. So I don't wear the head strap like a "halo" or head-band, the actual best fit for me is very low, almost at the base of the skull if that makes sense ? ....this was the only way I avoided light sneaking in along the nose band.

@dcpmark I know its weird but I like to keep the back-strap part of the goggles very "low" at the back of my head. So I don't wear the head strap like a "halo" or head-band, the actual best fit for me is very low, almost at the base of the skull if that makes sense ? ....this was the only way I avoided light sneaking in along the nose band.

That's the way they are designed to be worn . If you try to wear them like a Halo the top forehead support doesn't even touch your head .
dji goggles.jpg dji halo.jpg

I get some light leaks, but I found that if you're eyes & brain are totally focused on the image within the display, the light leaks become a non issue. ;)

Same here. Leaks were pretty disturbing/preventing from seeing the outer edges of the picture.

WhatsApp Image 2017-06-17 at 09.28.59.jpeg

Don't wear glasses, so no idea about that...

Very good idea! I am having the same problem. Will try the sponge. Thanks for the idea! Will also have to try the reading glasses fix due to blurriness of the screen. Thanks again.

If you ask me, DJI should offer two versions of the rubber face seal. One with cut outs for glasses and one without. The cut outs are where most of the light leaks in if you are not wearing glasses.

Here's another quick fix...DSC_0006.JPG

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian