DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lightest DJI Mini 2 case?

dulcificum

Reactions
I'm looking for a minimal/lightweight case for just the DJI Mini 2 drone. This is for UL hiking where I just need something to protect the drone when chucked into a backpack. The remote is more than study enough to survive without a case but I think I need something a bit more than just prop guards to keep it safe.

For my Mavic Mini 1, I just use this cheap Chinese case (U/R Honbobo Carrying Case Bag for DJI Mavic Mini 2 (Drone bag): Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors) but it's way more than I need and is pretty heavy at 130g. Just some moulded polystyrene would be best I guess.

Is there anything that is protective of the props and closer to 50g than 100g?

Reactions: MTM
I use the below for my various drones to throw them in my backpack, keeps them scratch free and practically weightless:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/catyrre-Remote-Control-Storage-Compatible/dp/B08B3HB12R/ref=sr_1_18?dchild=1&keywords=dji+mavic+bag&qid=1608646656&s=sports&sr=1-18
Thanks. Do you have the precise weight in grams? It doesn't look all that light compared to something made out of sipoly, xpac or dcf.

I saw bags like these but don't think they're protective enough for the props when wedged between my stove and tent poles... Do you think it would really be okay?

Ideally there'd be something that was just expanded foam and not much else rather than all these ridiculous faux leather/felt aliexpress jobbies.

I explicitly need something compact as well as light so won't consider anything unfolded (nothing unfolded will be close to 100g let alone 50g in any case...)

I was searching something similar once and nobody could help. For the dji Spark there was the ideal case which came with the combo I think. It was hard foam only and ultralight. This kind of case would be exactly what we were looking for. Unfortunately it does not fit for the mini. I think noone considered the mini for ul hiking ?

What I do is that I use a protective small bag which at least gives some little protection but still you should be aware where to place it in the backpack

Reactions: dulcificum
I use an old Lowepro case. It fits the mini exactly and is rigid. protects the props without smashing them. 115g, just weighed it. I don't think they sell it anymore, but it's close to the CS 40 model. I have one of those on order to test.

I was searching something similar once and nobody could help. For the dji Spark there was the ideal case which came with the combo I think. It was hard foam only and ultralight. This kind of case would be exactly what we were looking for. Unfortunately it does not fit for the mini. I think noone considered the mini for ul hiking ?

What I do is that I use a protective small bag which at least gives some little protection but still you should be aware where to place it in the backpack
Thanks. That sounds exactly like what I want. Shame it's not available :(

It should be possible to make a case that's just foam and a hard outer. I was thinking of making one with expanding foam or even those Instapak expanding foam packaging things. That should weight less than 50g definitely!

I'm starting to think the best solution is a silicone prop guard and then a a bit of bubblewrap in a cardboard box. Should be more than secure enough and also much closer to 50g than 100g!

This thing?

s-l1600.jpg

Looks perfect!

Not quite sure if this is what you are looking for but I wanted to share what I just figured out for my setup. It just barely fits the controller, drone, and two batteries. For some reason having issues uploading a photo but here is the link to the bag.

Model is Tenba Tools BYOB 7 weighing in at .25lbs. Not sure total weight difference from the fly more combo bag but huge reduction in size for throwing in the backpack.

tempImageCwIdkU.jpg

Not quite sure if this is what you are looking for but I wanted to share what I just figured out for my setup. It just barely fits the controller, drone, and two batteries. For some reason having issues uploading a photo but here is the link to the bag.

Model is Tenba Tools BYOB 7 weighing in at .25lbs. Not sure total weight difference from the fly more combo bag but huge reduction in size for throwing in the backpack.

View attachment 120073
Yeah afraid 0.25 lbs is the stardard weight for most of the similar cases, I'm hoping for something half that at max.

Best of luck. 4 ounces is incredibly light.
I wouldn't say incredibly light at all. Given it's what several other cases weigh without any attempt at being light and about half of that I'd easily within the realms of possibility, I wouldn't say it's even an attempt at light let alone remotely close to optimal for weight.

If you're looking for something that is less that 6 ounces then I suggest a cradle like the one that comes with the Fly More kit (there is a similar one sold separately), then put it in something like a Crown Royal bag. Or just get some propeller covers and find a small bag.

I wouldn't say incredibly light at all. Given it's what several other cases weigh without any attempt at being light and about half of that I'd easily within the realms of possibility, I wouldn't say it's even an attempt at light let alone remotely close to optimal for weight.
OK. Let us know what you find.

I would suggest a heavy tube sock,if weight is that big a issue,

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki