DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lipo protection for Mavic Air Fly More

nieto

Reactions
I am planning on doing some airline traveling with my Mavic Air and have the Fly More bag which has the three compartments for the extra batteries. I purchased an extra battery so I have four total. Has anyone come across lipo protection for the Mavic Air batteries that will work with the Fly More bag? Are we also supposed to remove the battery from the Mavic Air during airline travel?IMG_1521.jpg travel?

Has anyone come across lipo protection for the Mavic Air batteries that will work with the Fly More bag?
You just need to protect the battery terminals so they don't come into contact with anything. Since each battery is in a separate compartment (as shown in your photo above), they are protected as-is.

Are we also supposed to remove the battery from the Mavic Air during airline travel?
There is no requirement to remove the battery from the Mavic Air. DJI ships their drones with a battery installed.

You just need to protect the battery terminals so they don't come into contact with anything. Since each battery is in a separate compartment (as shown in your photo above), they are protected as-is.

There is no requirement to remove the battery from the Mavic Air. DJI ships their drones with a battery installed.
Good point. And they also ship with the extra batteries in the fly more package. However, they are pretty much discharged and in hibernation mode. So is the issue we need to worry about is to discharge them? This is a great pain is you do what some (and maybe DJI) recommend which is to run the MA until the battery is depleted. I have sent DJI a suggestion to program into the intelligent batteries a mode to force discharge on demand but they have never responded (and I don't expect them to formally).

Good point. And they also ship with the extra batteries in the fly more package. However, they are pretty much discharged and in hibernation mode. So is the issue we need to worry about is to discharge them? This is a great pain is you do what some (and maybe DJI) recommend which is to run the MA until the battery is depleted. I have sent DJI a suggestion to program into the intelligent batteries a mode to force discharge on demand but they have never responded (and I don't expect them to formally).
There is no need to discharge batteries for travel - it's just a myth.
To save typing it all over again read this post: Can we carry a drone in the cabin luggage?

So is the issue we need to worry about is to discharge them?
You do not need to discharge the batteries before flying. It's perfectly safe to fly with them at any charge level. If it was unsafe, the FAA would require them to be discharged.

Reactions: Meta4
You do not need to discharge the batteries before flying. It's perfectly safe to fly with them at any charge level. If it was unsafe, the FAA would require them to be discharged.
Thank you for the clarifications. I won't worry about it then. Maybe that is why DJI is not supplying an easy way to discharge the batteries. They only warn about having them fully charged for a long period of time so they automatically discharge, after 10 days if I can recall.

I am planning on doing some airline traveling with my Mavic Air and have the Fly More bag which has the three compartments for the extra batteries. I purchased an extra battery so I have four total. Has anyone come across lipo protection for the Mavic Air batteries that will work with the Fly More bag? Are we also supposed to remove the battery from the Mavic Air during airline travel?View attachment 72513 travel?

The FAA would tell you Li-po batteries are actually safest in their device.

I usually take take all my batteries out and put them in a tray going through security. I tell tell TSA, “drone with big batteries.” Every time they relay the message, “drone with big batteries coming through” “drone with big batteries coming” till it gets to the person operation the x-ray.

I take that to mean there’s actually a reason to tell them but at this point I kinda just think it’s funny so I’d do it even if it wasn’t necessary lol. Never had a problem

I have flown on numerous flights with my mavic air. Sometimes I just carry in the bag that it came in but now I have a camera bag that I have all the batteries and extra things in. I've been to alot of states and diffrent airports and not once has TSA asked or looked in my bag. I also have a ton of other electronics in the bag as well and it has just got straight through the xray machine. I've also seen people carrying drones in the box through the airports with no issues. You will be fine as long as it's in your carry on bag. I'm actually traveling to San Diego tomorrow and it will be fully charged ready to go when I get out there so I can take it for a few flights before work.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d