DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LITCHI - as a DIRECTION FINDER. (Another AMAZING reason to use)

Rockowe

Reactions
I know most people use Litchi for awesome Missions of routes they would like to repeat - looking at Objects they would like to view-

When Litchi recently reviewed their missions allowing for MID ENTRY to missions, I wondered if Litchi could possibly be used as a Location Pointer.

As a young Fixed-wing pilot in the 90's, GPS was available to use when flying a 4 seater Piper Cherokee - and I used it to get from A to B - without needing to use traditional Navigation instruments.

Like 'Go to DURBAN' or 'Go to the Blyde River Canyon'.
Just a CLick and the GPS directed me in a straight Line.

LITCHI can do the same - and even better - will Navigate to Any Single Point - of Destinations from ANYWHERE. Just make a Short 2 point mission at the Destination Point (5meters apart).

I live on a Mountain and I have Multiple destinations with Views that I love.
Maybe 20 of them. AT Random I can select ANY of these - and Go from any other Point I have Visited.

Looking at Litchi Mission Hub May look Like this.
View attachment 87364

… SO easy to Go to ANY POINT of your Favourites, and not only that - But RISE to a safe level getting there... (as long as BOTH don't have trees in between) - But also safely rising and directing the drone by selecting the point to Go. (in a straight line)
After arriving LITCHI will remember the Altitude and the Heading and GIMBAL Tilt view - and Position the Drone Exactly where you want - to immediately manually continually peruse the area.
- In any order you choose - for that flight

INVALUABLE for Night flying too - Search and rescue - and a host of other things-

Just Make short Descriptions of your Favourite Destinations. of Your DESTINATION (2 point) Missions.

Hope this Helps people with some of their OWN Ideas.

Would you be able to provide a diagram of what you are trying to describe to help me understand?

I am a Litchi user who is familiar with waypoints, missions, and the new Litchi ability to begin a mission at any waypoint. However, I am failing to grasp the utility of creating multiple 2-waypoint missions of my favorite locations and how that relates to being able to start a mission from a waypoint other than the first.

You appear to be excited about this new “mid-entry” ability, and I do understand how it works. However, even after reading your post several times, I am unable to see the significance of what you are trying to describe.

Please help me understand.

Reactions: Capt KO
Would you be able to provide a diagram of what you are trying to describe to help me understand?

I am a Litchi user who is familiar with waypoints, missions, and the new Litchi ability to begin a mission at any waypoint. However, I am failing to grasp the utility of creating multiple 2-waypoint missions of my favorite locations and how that relates to being able to start a mission from a waypoint other than the first.

You appear to be excited about this new “mid-entry” ability, and I do understand how it works. However, even after reading your post several times, I am unable to see the significance of what you are trying to describe.

Please help me understand.
Hi DJ Wes -
Just to be clear - the two ideas are unrelated - except for Both being under the Litchi Banner

1) The Mid entry idea is amazing to send your drone to any Point Direct on a Large Mission from whereon it will proceed - ignoring the preceeding points.

If your Mission runs to distant locations then You could send your drone direct to a point in that mission - .

The 2nd Idea - is creating an accumulation of Favourite location Points - EACH as a Mission Name...
for example the "OLD GREY HOUSE (South View)"
Remember Litchi tells the Drone to travel to wp1 - from where-ever it is.
A mission cannot exist as a Single Point - but 2 waypoints is fine.... SO an Entry Point (wp1) could Be High - and the final Waypoint 2 Could Be Safely LOW and Pointed at the Object which would be framed as you need it.

I have, as an example, a security boom at the end of our road (1km) away . If I created the Mission called ""Security Boom" where waypoint 1 was 30 M Up (safe approach) and the 2nd were 7m above and in front Looking at the boom and the cars entering -
- So at any time by Just calling the Mission "OLD GREY HOUSE (South View) - my drone would shoot to that location - no matter where it was coming from... and position itself with a perfection view of my design.
-As its only 2 points- it would arrive high - and descend to the Angle and height of the 2nd waypoint view (of the grey house) as designed...

… then I Maybe would order it to go to "Security Boom" … and the drone would rise to 30m (being the Entry point) and dart (above the trees ) to the Security Boom - giving me an Awsome Perfect View of the Boom Gate.

So Navigation this way - would not be reliant on a fixed route - but rather as a GOTO (being your favourite views)

This is invaluable for Night flying - or when disoriented - even Search and rescue - or URBAN community WATCH's … Just send the drone to your preferred destination safely - or a number of them -
RTH - instead of RTH - rather tell the drone where to safely APPROACH - and Hover- around your Optional Landing Points around your Home. (I used this in Low Level Clouds this Morning) - and the Trusty Litchi brought the drone safely to a Hover 5m above and in front of my front door (being wp2) from 30m being WP1 - initially from 1000 M away on a random flight ..

As I live on a Mountain - I was flying below the take off position to various locations. Low level clouds set in over my view - so I implemented the above safe return Procedure. (better than RTH - where there is less control)

Hope this helps

Hope this Helps

Last edited:
Well, I get it now. Kind of a neat way of setting up a shot. I'll have to think about some of my favorite places where I might want to have a standard setup. Thanks.

In places with intervening terrain and tress it seem it would be necessary to set those waypoints relative to ground since your not pre-planning a set path to WP 1 like one would setting up a standard mission.

In places with intervening terrain and tress it seem it would be necessary to set those waypoints relative to ground since your not pre-planning a set path to WP 1 like one would setting up a standard mission.
The way to set up these missions is like normal yet while in flight using the S1 on the remote rear ctrl. Therefore altitudes are based on the same place where you normally take off from and elevations on the waypoint's refer to Heights above or below your take off point.

LITCHI - as a DIRECTION FINDER. (Another AMAZING reason to use)
… like Aeroplane Navigation

LITCHI can do the same - and even better - will Navigate to Any Single Point - of Destinations from ANYWHERE. Just make a Short 2 point mission at the Destination Point (5meters apart).

… Its easy to Go to ANY POINT of your Favourites, and not only that - But RISE to a safe level getting there... (as long as BOTH don't have trees in between) - But also safely rising and directing the drone by selecting the point to Go. (in a straight line)
After arriving LITCHI will remember the Altitude and the Heading and GIMBAL Tilt view - and Position the Drone Exactly where you want - to immediately manually continually peruse the area.
- In any order you choose - for that flight

INVALUABLE for Night flying too - Search and rescue - and a host of other things-

Just Make short Descriptions of your Favourite Destinations. of Your DESTINATION (2 point) Missions.

Hope this Helps people with some of their OWN Ideas.

This is a detailed Explanation Recorded on a LIVE Stream...

This thread : - LITCHI - as a DIRECTION FINDER. (Another AMAZING reason to use)

The way to set up these missions is like normal yet while in flight using the S1 on the remote rear ctrl. Therefore altitudes are based on the same place where you normally take off from and elevations on the waypoint's refer to Heights above or below your take off point.

Did you mean C1 like setting up a Cable Cam?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinblueline3