DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Live AGL

Level

Reactions
Does anyone else hope DJI creates the capability to monitor true AGL on the MA?

Since the system already provides live altitude readout from Home while at the same time mapping the terrain as it flies, then it shouldn't be too hard to incorporate live altitude readout so we can know how high the MA is above the ground it is flying over. This would be so helpful rather than how things are at the moment with very limiting information of altitude difference from Home. While sometimes helpful I find this is next to useless in many flight scenarios I encounter.

This would be helpful when flying less than twenty feet above the ground and would likely eliminate many crashes when flying uphill, so to speak. How long are we going to have to wait for this? Is the MA hardware/firmware enabled to support this upgrade?

At least part of the issue may be that the DEMs that describe the ground level do not take into account vegetation or structures which can be very significant in relation to the actual flight altitudes. So not a big technological problem provided you have an internet connection while flying, but can you imagine all the resulting warranty claims against DJI when the BVLOS pilots fly into trees and buildings?

Reactions: Former Member
Yes, but this holds true in every flight scenario. Lots of MA capabilities are of subjective value in the real world of flying. I don't agree with your perspective it would be of no value, sorry.

Yes, but this holds true in every flight scenario. Lots of MA capabilities are of subjective value in the real world of flying. I don't get your perspective it would be of no value, sorry.

Oh - I wasn't saying it would be of no value and in fact I'd really like to see that functionality. My point was that the limitations of it may be a significant disincentive for DJI to include it.

Got it, and I agree there are always limitations. It is relatively useless, however, to have an altitude readout with no relevance to actual distance from the ground, especially when you are flying up hill. I find it difficult to judge how far the MA is from the ground with the onboard camera, probably just not used to doing it. That said, I find wide angle views tricky at gauging distance.

So that's my point. It would be helpful to enable altitude readout in a greater diversity of conditions, and if there are trees, well hopefully you can see those onscreen and avoid them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000