DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Locating coordinates

Horn Hunter

Reactions
I'm new to the drone world and have a question. Is it possible to retrieve the coordinates (lat/long) of an object you have just taken a picture of on a flight? I believe they exist somewhere in the photos information but haven't been able to figure out how to actually see them.

I'm new to the drone world and have a question. Is it possible to retrieve the coordinates (lat/long) of an object you have just taken a picture of on a flight? I believe they exist somewhere in the photos information but haven't been able to figure out how to actually see them.
A simple way to do this on a Win machine is to go into File Explorer, right click on the image file and select 'Properties', then click on the 'Details' tab.... you should see the GPS Lat/Long coordinates down the bottom.

A batter way would be to install one of the many EXIF tools available..... eg, ExifTool by Phil Harvey, here: ExifTool by Phil Harvey or ExifToolGUI here: ExifToolGUI

Thanks. I should have said I would be wanting to do this in the field with the smart controller if possible.

That can be done with a Mavic 2 Enterprise model and the Smartcontroller.

The Pilot app displays Lat/Long coordinates on screen. In addition, images taken can have Lat/Long superimposed in the image for later processing

By Pilot app do you mean the DJI Go4 app or is there a different app? If so do you have a screenshot of what you are referring to? Thanks for any help you can provide. Being 77 years old I have a little trouble picking up on the technology.

Reactions: WAXMAN
By Pilot app do you mean the DJI Go4 app or is there a different app? If so do you have a screenshot of what you are referring to? Thanks for any help you can provide. Being 77 years old I have a little trouble picking up on the technology.

Pilot app is a different app. It’s intended use is for Enterprise models.

I’m currently on the road, standby for screenshots when i am back in the office.

Litchi has this an an option but I don't think you can add Litchi to the SC yet... or can you?

If so do you have a screenshot of what you are referring to?
Here we go:
screenshot #1 displays in the lower part the aircrafts lat/long coordinates:

Screenshot #2 (below) shows in the top left side the current date/time an lat/long coordinates superimposed in the finished image (.JPG) in the drone on the SD card.

Note: as said previously, you need an Enterprise model (e.g. Mavic 2 Enterprise / Dual) and Pilot app on your smartcontroller.

Reactions: Thomas B
If you use GoogleEarth, it will post them on your map. Forgot which function it is, “Add”-“Photo” or something like that.

Is it possible to retrieve the coordinates (lat/long) of an object you have just taken a picture of on a flight?
I believe all recorded coordinates are of the aircraft's location and not the location of the "object" to which you refer.

Last edited:
It can also be found with the search function.....

That can be done with a Mavic 2 Enterprise model and the Smartcontroller.

The Pilot app displays Lat/Long coordinates on screen. In addition, images taken can have Lat/Long superimposed in the image for later processing
Please Can You Further Elaborate. Not able to do so

Here we go:
screenshot #1 displays in the lower part the aircrafts lat/long coordinates:
View attachment 75820

Screenshot #2 (below) shows in the top left side the current date/time an lat/long coordinates superimposed in the finished image (.JPG) in the drone on the SD card.

View attachment 75821

Note: as said previously, you need an Enterprise model (e.g. Mavic 2 Enterprise / Dual) and Pilot app on your smartcontroller.
A simple way to do this on a Win machine is to go into File Explorer, right click on the image file and select 'Properties', then click on the 'Details' tab.... you should see the GPS Lat/Long coordinates down the bottom.

A batter way would be to install one of the many EXIF tools available..... eg, ExifTool by Phil Harvey, here: ExifTool by Phil Harvey or ExifToolGUI here: ExifToolGUI
I have an Mavic 2 pro, and if you set C1 to camera mode (selection) then it will post the coordinates to the image, and all you need to do is back it up to photo page, click on more options, and they will appear. It was no trouble on that smart controller, but now I have an enterprise advanced and cannot find where to enable that function. It records lat/lon on the display, but not on the image/photo itself. I want to be able to see my object while flying, snap a photo, then go back to the photo, and be able to immediatly see the coordinates. I could take a pen and paper with me, but I feel like I just cannot locate the right toggle.I hope the above was clear I make a lot of mistakes lately.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjauuu