DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lone Flyer

Have you ever flown with another Drone Pilot?

• Total voters
Only 1 time during a SAR mission and had a PIC by me during almost 6 years of flying
almost everyday unless of weather or something medical.
So I’ll vote no.

Reactions: Rchawks
I have coincidentally flown near other DJI fliers from time to time.

We had a workshop for drones at our local computer club, but it has been suspended since April because of Covid. Most there were inexperienced that I wasn't going to let them fly my Mavics or P3 even if I got the AC to a high enough altitude and had them promise not to change altitude.
Three of us got Tellos though, which we flew indoors and did let others fly.

How many of you have never flown with another Drone Pilot?
The last thing I would want while flying is a distraction from my full attention to the job. There is no room in the sky for a second flyer. Just complicates everything in my opinion.

Thinking back over the years the last time I flew with anyone was on the slopes in Corpus Christi Tx over 25 years ago even then it was just me out there 95% of the time. When it has come to flying I've always been a loner and I've enjoyed every minute of the time spent doing it. I'm not sure why the flying hobby has made such an impression on me.?

Was just scrolling around on Kittyhawk and came across this. These guys don’t seem to fly alone.

Attachments

• B6B9E99B-B4E9-4D34-8775-6E9BEEFCBD97.png
    B6B9E99B-B4E9-4D34-8775-6E9BEEFCBD97.png
    601.7 KB · Views: 16
I fly with a pal most of the time, not always in the air together, but regularly we have 2 drones in the air. It can take a little thought and planning, mostly during take off and landing, but also altitude as we move about. In the early days we did a lot of training, comparison tests of props, batteries and other kit using identical drones. We did find my drone drills, landing on a pre set mat at distance and using drone 2 to find drone 1, for emergencies, as well as using the find my drone in the app. Much of the reason for the training is to allow continious monitoring of wildlife over periods longer than a battery can allow, so we can have a drone leave the subject as the 2nd one is arriving, and so suits our needs well. We have also had drone filming subject, being filmed by another drone, and this took a fair bit of practice, as seeing a drone in the air with another drone is tricky, they are really not easy to see up there at times. It took a lot of height planning and discussion, and tought us a lot about the wind currents they can throw out, as an example, you really dont want a mini any place near an inspire in flight!

I've done it and I will again because my pal has an off road vehicle that can go anywhere and we can get to some amazing launch points. I'm not interested it doing formation flying. A football field apart it too close for me.

Reactions: Rchawks and MA2 317
After a couple of years I have never flown with anyone. I'm the only one in my neighborhood that has a drone and none of my friends have one either.
Lately two of my neighbors after seeing my new M2Z want to get one also after I explained how they operate and just how advanced they are.
I explained the built in restrictions along with FAA rules and regulations and they were impressed. So maybe I will have a companion to fly with soon
although I enjoy the hobby alone since it should be you and the drone.

As much fun as it is to fly alone I can imagine what it would be like to fly with another pilot. I think it would add another level to enjoying the hobby. I was shopping for produce at the request of my wife and while talking to the stocker who I've known a couple of years, the subject of drones came up and it turns out he has a Mavic Pro he's been flying for the last 3 yrs. Man you never know who might be a drone pilot. So I might give it a try down the road.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman